Carbon Copy - which are the good ones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soundhound, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I just bought one from MF, and am wondering how would I know if I got one of the early ones, or one of the later ones that supposedly had the problems corrected?

There's a piece of tape on the mxr box that has '301 003 C04' handwritten on it.
    Is that a clue maybe?

2. MrBanjo

MrBanjo Member

If you look inside at R7 and it says "000" you have a newer one.

3. FaselBaby

FaselBaby Member

There were no problems with the first one. The later one just has more modulation.

4. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Exactly. The first ones were NOT bad, in fact in 5 years people will no doubt be bragging about getting their hands on the "v1 Carbon Copy" with less modulation and how it "just sounds sweeter" to their ears. :D

5. m@2

m@2 Member

LOL and so true

6. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I got one as soon as they came out and sold it for the new one. I don't know if it was worth it. The modulation on the new one is obvious where the old one was not, but it's not the type of modulation that I like. I favor the vibrato mod on the DMM, this is a pitch modulation that if it gets much more than very subtle, I don't like the sound of it. Also, if you change the setting on the mix knob the mod gets deeper and more shallow so you have to change the internal trimmer to match. I'm not complaining as I got most of my money back, but if I knew then what I know now ...

It's a great delay anyway, I really like it.

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I agree. The version 1 is great. The version 2 is just different not better. (I personally adjusted the trimmers in my 2 for less than the factory setting)

8. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I ended up setting my V2 to sound just like the V1.:jo

9. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Am I slow or is it just sinking in, guitar players only want what they don't have.

10. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

:jo:jo:jo

11. Phil M

Phil M Member

Ah ha ha, you're right! BTW, I got a V1 from jakeddy and it sounds fine. Nothing at all wrong with it...am I the only one who can hear the modulation? I don't want it to sound like a chorus + delay, I just want it to give a shimmer to the sound it does. It is subtle, but when I turn my amp UP and let the chords ring out, it's there. Great little analog pedal that you can get for cheap in the emporium lately. I saw one go for $100 last week...

12. jb1911

jb1911 Member

It's not just guitar players.

13. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I own both versions and the other thing with V2 ( to my ears anyway )....is that it's quieter and has less backround white noise/hiss on high delay settings....BUT the delays are a bit more subtle on high settings, even with the mix knob maxed ( lower volume than the original signal ).

V1 has more white noise attached to the repeats on high delay settings, but the delays are clearly more pronounced with the mix knob maxed ( same volume as the original signal ).

So i think they are dialing them in a little bit different as well or using different analog chips or something...or perhaps they differ from unit to unit in this regard.

Both sound GREAT. Just a little different.

The answer is clear, you must own both v1 and v2 ;)

14. brianf

brianf Member

What do you mean by R7?

Thanks

brianf

15. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

[​IMG]

R7 = resistor #7

version "1" 474 ohm (little modulation)

version "2" 0 ohm, or the same as a jumper (pronounced modulation)

16. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I did an extensive a/b last night between the two and they sound EXACTLY the same. There are two differences and one is of course the modulation level. The new one still doesn't do the crazy pitch shifting of some other delays, but I think I should have just stuck with the original. The other difference is the V1 is a darker green. You wouldn't notice unless they were right next to each other, but when they are, it's very obvious. Unless you need the wild pitch shift mod, the V1 is not worth upgrading. I also a/b tested it with a Disaster Transport and the CC wins that one. The DT is a great digital delay, but the decay of the delays sounds unnatural to me compared to the CC. This is all JMO of course.

17. mkg

mkg Member

Ah, good to know I have one of the rare, highly coveted, extremely valuable early models.
    Mine came with the rare, highly coveted, extremely valuable instruction manual that contains the sample settings mistake.

:banana

18. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Ill give you $500 for it!:drool

19. charmboy

charmboy Member

Hehe, Me too!

Hype is dead...
    Long Live Hype!

20. mkg

mkg Member

Thanks, but I'm going to wait about five years then put it on ebay. By then it'll be nicely reliced and will be "just like the one Jimi used."

:bow