Carbon Fibre Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JDandCoke, Apr 23, 2016.

1. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

Anyone making them? Would seem like a sensible thing to be done to save weight for musicians that fly often?

2. edgie

edgie Member

There are commercially available ones like Free The Tone's but I think they have to make them thicker because when they are loaded with pedals and heavy psu, they bend at the center making the pedals hit each other when you carry them. My friend had one.

3. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Would they actually be lighter and stronger than a Pedal Train?

4. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

That's kind of what I was wondering too, I would assume they would if the same dimensions etc

5. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Carbon Fiber as a standalone actually would not be a good board material. As light as it is and as strong as it is, there is flex and the process and cost make it not cost effective. You can buy fiber board constructed with fiber strands and a combination of a plywood board, but there really is no weight savings in contrast to a 100% carbon fiber board.

6. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Honestly, I don't think that the pedal board is the heavy part of carrying a loaded pedal board

Cgkindler likes this.
  7. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

True.....the lightest way would be to remove the guts from the pedals you like and put them in a super thin aluminum casing...which I think is already done...kind of....there's a guy that does a bunch of his circuits in a long, narrow board now - I think....

The Pedaltrains are VERY light really...the ATA hardcase is the heaviest single thing.....and of course the pedals, powerstrip, cables, ect...lol

My board/case, when full and ready to go somewhere, weighs as much as my amp(s)

8. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

you really do not need anything stronger or lighter than the aluminum alloy pedaltrain uses. i promise you.

9. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

CF is strong and light in certain applications or against directions of stress (when engineered/designed well) but very easy to damage from impacts. Seems like a bad material to use for a board.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

That would be Henretta engineering, very cool concept!

Carbon fiber could be done right as a pedalboard-you'd need 3 dimensional shape to prevent bending-tubes or square channels molded in. The pedalboard would be lighter than aluminum and would likely stand up fine to the rigors of the road, but it wouldn't provide a lot of weight savings. So, let's brainstorm what you COULD do... Getting someone like Cornish to build your preferred effects into a single shell would be one solution. Another would be to go to lighter weight aluminum or CF boxes for the pedals themselves. The biggest thing would be to reduce power and signal cabling somehow and to have a CF box to put the pedalboard in to minimize that weight.

So, here's the business model for the entrepreneurs around here: rehouse pedals in multiples with integrated power and signal routing OR super light board with integrated power/signal cabling... Do it right and you could be rich!

11. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

It is amusing to me the lengths people will go to avoid just buying a Pedaltrain :p

Hitchens likes this.