Carbon film vs. NOS Carbon Comp Resistors?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by How, Apr 12, 2015.

1. How

How Supporting Member

How big of a difference is there? I have an amp I built with carbon comp and it sounds great. I bought a similar amp that used all carbon film and again it sounds great?

2. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Member

From what I've read the carbon comp will be warmer in the same exact circuit. In other words you can't compare the two in "similar amps" to make a judgement. The other components, tubes, lead dress, transformers, etc will make a difference too.

3. TNO

TNO Member

Resistor type is way, way down on the list of things that affect tone. I think there are only a couple of positions where they might be worth using.

4. How

How Supporting Member

I only used them in the selected positions from the Metro instructions.

5. GT100

GT100 Member

Yes, I would think so too.
    As for the positions that make the most difference -are you referring to the phase inverter plate resistors because of the large voltage swing on them?

Lloyd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

7. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

8. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Member

I think that write up above your post proves it not a myth. Unless of course you are saying the facts presented are lies.

I'm not sure why it would be a surprise if there was a difference in tone or feel? A resistor's job is to regulate current so couldn't different materials react differently when current I passed through causing a sonic difference in the case of guitar amplifiers?

9. GT100

GT100 Member

You've got it wrong too. The disagreement is not about what the article says rather its about weather its audible or not.

Lloyd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Member

I got what wrong? The article gives scientific explanation a to why there is an audible difference. Seems reasonable to me and there are plenty of builders who use CC in select spots for a reason.

11. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

When I build amps, I like to use carbon comp, carbon film, wire wound, ceramic, and metal film resistors all in the same circuit. It just depends on what that resistor is doing. From my experience, there are subtle differences between them, but not much. You'll get a lot more variation by playing with the values than by playing with their compositions. I will say that if you're looking to keep the noise down, metal film is the way to go. If you're looking to keep costs down, carbon film is a great choice. If you're looking for vintage mojo, why not go carbon comp?

12. 71strat

71strat Member

Id do whatever George at Metro says. He has a great formula. Ive got a Limited Edition GMP45. Best amp I ever had in almost 50 years.

13. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

If you're going to use carbon comps I would definitely use new ones rather than old ones. Removing oxidation from every resistor lead is a huge pain and newer parts are much more accurate to the values indicated.

14. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

I 'm a big fan of carbon comp resistors. They add a really nice fatness to the sound. The top can get a bit grainy, but they sound really good in guitar amps. I disagree that this characteristic is only in high voltage situations. They fatten up the sound as grid resistors or in pedals to remove harshness.