1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Carcosa fuzz sounds harsh.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by antvas1963, Feb 9, 2019.

1. antvas1963

antvas1963 Member

I bought a Carcosa fuzz because I like the sound of it on some videos I saw. I cannot however get it to sound fuzzy without being overly harsh. It does however sound really good after my Proco rat . I’m using my Yamaha with humbuckers in it though a Bugera V five. I really hate to get another fuzz pedal but this one just doesn’t sound the way I was hoping. I read the Fuzz post on the site and the selection is mind-boggling. Did I just buy the wrong fuzz pedal?

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I got one for $60 a few weeks ago and it sounded great until it **** the bed. They replaced it under warranty but the new one sounds terrible.:(

3. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

How are you running the amp? Also, try turning the hi cut knob all the way off, the bring back just enough treble so it’s not harsh.

Godspeed64 and rhyming_orange like this.
  4. antvas1963

antvas1963 Member

I was running the amp clean. Should I be turning up the gain?

Flatscan likes this.
  5. freedomspec

freedomspec Member

Are you running it after another pedal? Fuzz pedals usually hate being placed after non-bypassed pedals, resulting in them sounding harsh.

6. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

Is there a you tube fuzz pedal demo or guitar player/band, that represents the fuzz sound you're looking for ? Although- I'd try running the amp at a crunchy setting, and spend some time turning knobs on the Carcosa. While doing this, think of the Carcosa as a fuzzy boost pedal, and start out with the fuzz knob set relatively low.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  7. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Yes. Most fuzz pedals sound better if the amp is breaking up a little.

Flatscan likes this.
  8. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

The Carcosa is nasty and spitty and complex. If you’re looking for a smooth fuzz, you’re barking up the wrong tree.

9. antvas1963

antvas1963 Member

Yes, I wanted a smooth fuzz. What would a smooth fuzz be?

10. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

You probably want some kind of germanium fuzz face. I can’t give you specifics because that’s not my bag.

AXXA likes this.
  11. froglord

froglord Member

This. I've become used to fuzz pedals that can go anywhere in the chain, so when I first tried the Carcosa I thought it sounded awful. I put it first in line and ... ah, that's the stuff.

12. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

I remember the designer of the pedal saying that he designed it so it could be placed anywhere in the chain. That thread is on here somewhere if you do a search for the Carcosa thread.

I’ve never had an issue with mine anywhere, including at the end after my reverb. One thing with this pedal though, it’s tone knob generally needs to be at 9 o’clock or even less if you want much less highs.

13. woolyh

woolyh Member

It's interesting the designer said that as I agree with the placement of the Carcosa changing it's tone. When I first bought one I tried it straight into my amp and it was amazing but after putting it on my pedalboard it didn't sound nearly as good until I put it first in the chain. Now I'm just confused :confused:

Either way great fuzz for the money. Really wanting to try it out against the Fender Pelt as I hear good things :aok

14. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

I’m pretty sure he said that, but maybe I’ve got it wrong and he said it can be used anywhere (but still maybe best first in line). When I used mine I know it sounded the same to me no matter where I put it. I might play around with it today again and see.

Edit: we could of course ask @Tom Von Kramm himself and see if he wants to chime in if he’s not too busy with his awesome new pedal company.

15. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

Use the Hi-Cut to cut the highs.

Turn the Hi-Cut all the way counter-clockwise, dime the Before, put the After @ 11:00-12:00. You should now have a dark fuzzy tone, slowly bring up the Hi-Cut until you get your pick attack back. It usually ends up in the 9:00 range.

The Carcosa does sound best first in the chain, however it is fairly immune to buffers in front. Where it will be unhappy is after a pedal that has low output.

BTW OP, if you were looking for a smooth dark fuzz in the Big Muff vein, the Carcosa is the wrong fuzz for that. It was literally designed to be the polar opposite of a BMP.

16. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

Wait, you bought a fuzz pedal called "Carcosa" and you're concerned it sounds harsh?

:D

17. froglord

froglord Member

I managed to get some seriously scratchy clipping out of it. Trust me, you wouldn't want any fuzz sounding like that! First in the chain solved my problems.

Jess 1971 likes this.
  18. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Russian Big Muff.

Flatscan, fretless and Kevy_Metal like this.
  19. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

"I just bought the DOD Carcosa pedal, but when I plugged it in, The Yellow King appeared before me and now I'm plagued by despair and madness."

DavidTCIC, Gone Fission, IAO and 9 others like this.
  20. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

You'll do this again. Time is a flat circle.