1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Carcosa fuzz sounds harsh.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by antvas1963, Feb 9, 2019.

1. songtalk

songtalk Member

The first season was some of the best TV ever made. This fuzz is one of the best fuzzes ever made.

Coincidence? No.

Kevy_Metal likes this.
  2. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

That’s what I was waiting for!

3. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

I almost forgot, did you get the pallid mask with your Carcosa? That seems to help...

[​IMG]

friend33, IAO, Jimmy Tango and 9 others like this.
  4. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

WANT

5. antvas1963

antvas1963 Member

i moved it to the front of the line before my rat , and that seemed to smooth it out a bit. i set the knobs as you suggested and is sure sounds a lot better. thanks for the help.

6. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

Excellent! The Carcosa (and its successor the Black Spiral) reward active engagement with the controls, everything interacts with everything else.

ericb and Flatscan like this.
  7. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

For people mentioning to put the Carcosa first in line, I currently have a Boss LS-2 (to select between two guitars) as my first pedal, going into a Boss TU-3 and then the Carcosa and a bunch of other pedals following. Where should I put the Carcosa successfully in this chain? I suppose I can place it in between the TU-3 and LS-2, but I wouldn't be able to put it first before the LS-2 due to needing two inputs for two guitars. Am I out of luck?

8. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

First means first =).

Before you sell it, try the following...

* Put it first.
    * Set you amp's volume at noon or higher.
    * Work your volume knob. The Carcosa does both a great fuzz or a great underfuzz (more drive-like).
    * Fiddle a lot with the controls. Really understand what affects what.

You likely will end up selling it and end up with a Muff. No pedal is for everyone. Don't sweat it.

friend33 and lefort_1 like this.
  9. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

I realize this is WAY too simplified an approach, but

I've always wondered if someone has ever tried to create an inline pickup-reactance-box that could be placed immediately upstream from a pedal that exhibits 'driver-preference. You know, something that would have a switch so one could vary between a Strat and PAF analog 'sim':
    Strat: about 6.2 kohms in series, 2.-2.5 H inductance, 250kohms to ground and a filter cap in there too.
    HB: about 9.5 kohm in series, 4H inductance, 500kohms to ground and typical filter cap values.

Hell, it could be made all digital-control/midi-friendly with a couple presets and those new-fangled electronically-variable-resistors and such.
    I bet there are at least a hundred gotta-have-the-latest folks on this site who'd snap them up if the were in a mini-box.
    ....but, probably about 90 of them would be sent back because they made their pedalboard too big.

....so, the answer is, build a switcher/looper that can have an arbitrary number of these devices plugged in... that's also give the designer enough room to put all the midi/preset circuitry into it.

10. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

I think you underestimate how much some of us enjoy "ugly" sounds.

I've been enjoying my Carcosa into a gonkulator for some properly messed up sounds ;)

11. froglord

froglord Member

That's fair enough. I've always been conservative with fuzz, but when it sounds like the clipping on a Youtube video made with a cheap phone, I'm out! Luckily the Carcosa is versatile enough to suit a whole slew of tastes.

12. songtalk

songtalk Member

Gimme da cheep fone-tone now!!! :p

Tom Von Kramm and froglord like this.
  13. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

14. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Op, keep the Carcosa, get a Muff to run after it/stacked. this combo sounds great to my ears.

bluetrane likes this.