Care for your historic LP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pickleweed, Jan 22, 2012.

1. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

Hey guys. Looking to pick a historic Gibson in the near future and want to be aware of all the do's and do nots of caring for it. Like putting it on a **** stand will trash the nitro for example. Is lemon oil still ok for the fretboard? What would you use to polish it?

Is there anything I should know, or products you'd recommend or avoid compared to normal guitar care? Anything in particular i should be aware of?

Thanks.

2. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

I just bought stands that won't melt the finish and use Fret Doctor on the board if it starts to look dry. I'm not into shiny new looking guitars, so I never polish them. I just wipe them down once in a while with a cotton cloth to remove dust and grime. Like Shovelhead I play the crap out of them. I bought my R9's to rock out, not keep them all perfect like a museum piece.

3. StevenS

StevenS Supporting Member

Be careful not to trip on your guitar cord. I've cracked the plastic jackplate on my R9, and just last night on my R7.

Very thin plastic...

4. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

Yeah I cracked one of mine and replaced both with a nickel plated metal ones. The plastic jackplates look nice, but aren't the most durable.

5. patentcad

patentcad Member

What do I have to look out for insofar as guitar stands are concerned? I use these $20 Onstage guitar stands. Go or no go on those? Will those adversely effect a Gibson USA guitar like an LP Standard or a PRS with the V12 finish?

6. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

I just wrapped white cotton around all the contact points on my stands.
    Fret doctor is probably the best stuff for the fretboard.
    I barely use cleaners but Virtuoso is a good one.
    Oh, and any tuning issues you may experience are likely due to the nut (if you buy a pre-2009).

7. mifar55

mifar55 Supporting Member

+1 on Fret Doctor for the fretboard.

8. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

That little bottle of Fret Doctor lasts forever too. I've had mine since 2004 and I'm only 1/4 of the way through it. A little goes a long way.

9. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

I clean my R6's fretboard every time I change strings. I've been using Gibson Vintage Reissue cleaning products and getting great results from it, you can usually buy all three fluids---finish cream (with sprayer), metal cleaner, fretboard conditioner, usually with three soft cloths included in the package---in a set for $15 or thereabout. At minimum, I clean the body and neck before and after every time I play her. It only takes a couple of minutes and it's worth it.

10. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, the stand advice is good. You also need to be careful of stands with "holders" that will ding up the finish behind the neck.

I agree with the poster above who said he just wiped the guitar down once in a while with a cotton cloth. I'll slightly moisten a cotton cloth with water on occasion, if I need to get perspiration off the guitar (especially in the summer).

In a mild climate (like the midwest), a rosewood fingerboard only needs to be oiled once or twice a year with just a few little drops of oil. I use Petros fingerboard oil. I hit it with some 0000 steel wool first to get the grunge off.

And I agree that these guitars are meant to be played. My '03 R8 has seen countless gigs and rehearsals, not to mention long daily practice sessions over the last 7 years. I'm pretty careful with the guitar and never deliberately abuse it. But in the course of my life with it, it's developed a rash from my pick attack and has many tiny scratches and dings. Those little marks actually look beautiful to me and give the guitar some honest character. The finish is beginning to check too, which I also love. It's getting that "reliced" look that people pay Tom Murphy thousands of $ for, but all the wear is real.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  11. GibsonSGgirl

GibsonSGgirl Silver Supporting Member

I keep my CR0 in its case when I'm not playing it (it spends a lot of time in there) and I get it setup about twice a year or so, depending on the season. I have 2 Rock Stands (5 guitar stands) and despite what people have said on here, I have never had any problems with them eating the nitro of my guitars...YMMV.

I don't really do anything special to it, although maybe I should...

12. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Had several, I don't do anything. Stands never did anything. I think Gibson has a lot of plasticizer in it anyhow. I don't lemon oil or anything either, they never needed any of that.I wouldn't worry about it.

13. patentcad

patentcad Member

I don't see any threads about Care for your Agile LP Knockoff.

14. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

+1 I replace all of mine with Gibson nickel jack plates. The plastic jack plates crack very easily. The nickel plates are much more durable and the nickel plate looks nicer to me as well.

15. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I really only see mine while I'm playing it on stage. I leave it at the club and change strings every two weeks. When I change strings i wipe it down with a damp towel. No special stands, just a 5 guitar multi stand. As said before, I also change the jack plate to a metal one.

16. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Just like the Historics
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  17. patentcad

patentcad Member

When I get a Historic it will have a nice glossy/plastic finish. None of the VOS crap for me. Makes it look like a used guitar.

18. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

High-pressure wand at the self-serve carwash should do it.

19. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

When I bought my Wildwood Spec Historic R7 naturally I went through all of the phases of anal retentive precautionary considerations, mainly related to the finish being marred by contact with the wrong "flesh eating" substance. So far:

"Hercules" hanging type and "On Stage" floor standers have been totally fine, just as they were with a PRS Modern Eagle 1, and other nitro finished guitars. The rubberized contact points have done no damage to any nitro finished guitar, including whatever formulation is on my Historic or was on my Kirn Tele.

Both original Moody straps and Italia straps have been used and left on the guitar, which I've had since July, usually out on one of those stands. The straps make direct contact with the body/finish and there has been no reaction or marring associated with the leather or dyes. Some leathers and synthetics have been reported to react to nitro finish.

I'm using the stock strap buttons with the Grohlsh rubber gasket/washer as a strap lock. I guitar player I admire greatly was using the same last Tuesday night at the Baked Potato, they work and are the easiest system around, I think. Just another thing folks think about regarding protective measures.

Biggest Historic Risk: You don't want to lay your guitar down flat on its back or let it fall over. The headstocks are very prone to breaking if impacted, but are fine otherwise. But, if that happens, the world will likely not come to an end. There are alot of LPs out there with repaired headstocks...I'd rather not though!

Fret Doctor is good stuff for a dry board, but don't fix what ain't broken.

I've had zero issues with Virtuoso cleaner.

20. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

+1 for Fret Doctor for the board and Virtuoso Polish for the finish.