Career advice for my son

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by SPROING!, Jan 13, 2015.

1. rigg

rigg Supporting Member

Absolutely. My brother was friends with a guy in high school that you'd have thought was going to absolutely nothing with his life. He joined the army after high school and is now a Brigadier General. I think he is 37.

2. rigg

rigg Supporting Member

Cool. Thanks for clarifying.

3. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

I have a degree in BUsiness Adminstration with a double major in Business and Communications- radio tv and film production. I ended up in AV

I see lots of openings that want 3 years experience hs diploma...

Have him go to college them get a masters....

I work at a training army base. kids get out of basic training come here to learn to be a cook or mechanic or whatever and they are so lost. I cant imagine who talked them into joinin the Army... Especially girls...

Anyway... iM me if you want.

4. XKnight

XKnight Member

Latin and guns reminds me of the old Warren Zevon song: Lawyers, Guns and Money.

5. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

Well, if you can do better, grab a gun and man a post. Otherwise, Col. Jessup had it right, just say thank you and be on your way.

6. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Generally speaking, people are most fulfilled when they find a job that fits them rather than trying to fit themselves to a job. Not sure if that helps.

7. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I have and will not read the other posts as to not influence what I say here. I like the fact about being good at Latin. It shows that something more than average is going on in his brain. Latin is the bitch of all languages and I see this as something special. How does he get to that point with his disabilities. I'd take him to a college counselor and have these things considered and evaluated. Sometime kids snap and do well in college. I'd have him in college at at least a year to explore the possibilities. If he's gets Latin, other languages would be easy. And if his mind is handling Latin, maybe a counselr might see some parallels with other possibilities. Good with a gun? What? The military, police dept.? Pro hunter> Get him in school. Maybe the counselor might suggest a vocation?

8. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Supporting Member

I was told "Sales People rule the world" a few weeks ago by a couple of self made millionaires. I'd recommend something in medical sales. There will always be a need for anything medical. If I could choose another field that's what I'd do.

---

9. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

That is almost %100 decision making, not what the OP's son is looking for. You also need to have good musical ears for that.

Something like mechanic sounds good. Problems have definite solutions, pays relatively well, and aren't going out of fashion anytime soon.

10. mge80

mge80 Member

Ketchikan, huh? Is he still there? For how long? Just curious. I know SE Alaska very well. Very well. It can be a test of wills, that's for sure. Only way in or out is by plane or boat. Weather that exists only in SE Alaska. No doubt they were willing to pay to bring him in and pay him good money. I just wonder how long he made it.

Sorry for the hijack.....

11. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

ROTC is the way to go, get your education paid for, that would be my recommendation

I joined the Army after university and am basically laughing in the faces of my colleagues from my Honors Political Science class cohort who can't land a decent job or a job at all.

Meanwhile I've gotten to see the world, paid off my student debt by age 24, drive a nice truck and have an actual career ahead of me that ends with retirement at age 46.

12. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

He said his son is not that ambitious, which pretty much means earning a living at sales is out.

13. ShredSquatch

You're correct I just re-read the OP... Well I still say anything in the medical field, maybe a medical supply delivery guy. Not much decision making there.

---

14. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I would encourage him to find something he is passionate about or something he enjoys. It's easy to say what kind of careers are good financially, but there are more important things than finding the biggest pay check.

My 21-year-old son floated through his first few years after graduation going to school part time and working part time (he pays rent, which fluctuates depending on how many credits he is taking). He didn't know what he wanted to do so he always seemed half interested in school. A few months ago he decided he wanted to go into environmental science and now his ears are pinned back and he's taking school seriously. Likely to transfer to a university up north in the fall.

Peace,

15. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Tough gig to get.

We have discussed it. His hearing issue is one of signals. Technically, his hearing is fine. The signals don't reach the brain correctly. It makes it difficult for him in classroom settings. He thinks and I agree that many years in college lecture halls probably will just lead to frustration.
    He would love the military but, again, the hearing. He is a very patriotic young man and would love to serve.

He most definitely does not need straightened out. He's a fine young man.
    On more than one occasion, he has walked away from "friends" who wanted him to lie for them. He won't tell a lie. He got that from his mother.

I understand.
    And it's hard to do.

The boy is very intelligent. He has a rapier wit and I've seen him take arguments apart with speed and an obscurely referenced joke at the same time. He has excellent ability to see through the side issues and get to the root of anything.

High pressure and deadlines aren't for him. He has the personality to do the sales part, but he couldn't live with the pressure exerted by sales managers. He's not a terribly competitive person by nature. He would have no motivation to try to outsell his competitor or colleague. He's not cut for sales.

16. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc. That's a high-end wrench job. $$

S

17. Xian Forbes

Xian Forbes Member

How is he with computers? My missus (the bread winner in this outfit) has morphed her career from H.R. to Data and Analyitics. I see Data processing being the up and coming career that will pay Big Bucks in the coming years. Every company is saving data, but how to analyze it is even more important. The way I look at it these days, Facebook is nothing more than a Data and Analytics company who uses a social media platform to collect their data.

18. ShredSquatch

What about working at a gun store or helping out at a shooting range?

---

19. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

This is just a thought and not meant to be insulting.... have you ever had him tested for autism? Doesn't like school, not overly ambitious, but with a laser focus on some things (guns, music and Latin). The Latin thing is what strikes me, given that he has a reading disability.

He may be mildly on the spectrum. Not that knowing now will hep him in school, but if it is there, knowing it and being able to work with it may help him to help himself later in life.

Best -

20. Edmond

Edmond Member

For some kids it might but you can only get out of the military what you put into it.

That being said, I tell some people to do a short enlistment. Do something like that Navy or Air Force where they can learn some technical skills. Whichever service they join, they get the GI Bill and Veterans Preference and the ability to network with other Veterans, that's a pretty unique club.

He could get killed doing a 9-5 office job. :rolleyes: