Carl Martin AC-Tone users ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ROKY, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ROKY

ROKY Member

I was listening to a nice-sounding demo of this one earlier, today .

Anybody here using one ?

If so: thru which amp ?

2. Dire

Dire Member

I just recently acquired a used one for a ridiculously low price (I impulsively bought it sight unseen because of how low it was priced) for use through a Roland JC-77. I had been hesitant because NONE of the demos out there showed it being played through a solid state amp... But I am extremely happy with how it sounds through the Roland, it really makes it sound like it's got tubes in it! And it gets along really well with all my other pedals.

I tried it out through a friend's solid state keyboard amp too, and it sounded excellent, as long as the high-freq EQ settings on the amp weren't set to ridiculous levels, in which case it sounded fizzy and plastic. But with the amp's EQ set to more natural levels, the AC-Tone sounded wonderful.

3. ROKY

ROKY Member

Dire -- Thanks for that !

It also seems like the cut control would help a lot if your amp's eq was set kinda bright ..

4. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I had one for a bit, and ran it through my DRRI. It was decent, but didn't really get that Vox tone that I was expecting. With a different amp, maybe the results would have been different. It's worth trying out if you can find it cheap.

5. Dire

Dire Member

Yeah I guess that's what the cut control would be useful for... I kinda wondered why it was there; I just keep it at the brightest setting and it's fine, not harsh... I suppose with some amps it might be a necessary feature for the pedal to have...

6. vanguard

vanguard Member

i don't know if you're looking for other options, but the menatone TBIAC is my favorite pedal, and really is an entire vox circuit in a can - with transistors in place of tubes. it can do the entire AC-30 voice, from clean tone to med gain. it won't do high gain unless you hit it with a boost, just like the real amp. . .

7. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

I have an AC tone and I run it through a 6L6 two rock classic reverb which IMO is just like a super reverb but bigger and thicker sounding. The AC Tone is a great pedal for Vox overdrive here are the plus and minus IMO:

Plus
    -Very authentic sounding Vox drive sounds
    - 2 gain levels and boost are very handy (eg 1 gain level for SC guitar one for buckers or one rhythm gain one solo)
    - Nice headroom and doesn't flub out on the low end
    - Solid construction

minus:
    - The gain comes on very fast after 10 o'clock and up the top end it has more gain than a Vox
    - very Treble sensitive (sounds excessively bright if the amp you use has a lot of treble and a scooped mid range)
    - Large footprint take a lot of real estate on a board

8. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

resurrecting this thread.
    i don't understand why this pedal isn't more sought out.