• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Carl Martin Compressor alternative?

SFW

I am currently using one of the old AC powered Carl Martin compressors. I use it lightly to keep my amp from clipping and to add a bit to sparkle to my clean tones. I also like using it to add a bit of compression on dirty tones, when I want to tone to feel heavier. I am getting ready to upgrade my pedalboard, and would like to see if there is a “regular” sized 9 volt DV comp pedal that will get a similar compression tone and feel to the CM?

I would love to hear your thought on a good replacement. Thanks in advance.

Vaibhav Joshi

Hi!
The latest Carl Martin compressor/ limiter uses 9 V DC & converts it to 12V internally but I'm not aware how the old AC units sound compared to these ones. I also don't know how the new ones sound. :) I use a compressor pretty much for similar use cases that you stated. Have a dyna comp clone & it's ok at minimal settings. I would've got an optical compressor but I was just trying compression for the first time.

71strat

The CM is not just a Compressor. Its also capable of Limiting, which not all Compressors can do. So make sure whatever you look at is also capable of Limiting.

Id look at the one VJ mentioned from C Martin, as you are already familiar with his gear.

I myself like Compressors/Limiters that run on the full 48v.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
I have an AC Carl Martin compressor. What replaced it on my pedalboard for a while was a Keeley GC-2. It uses a similar "analog engine" from THAT Corp, and is equally as quiet as the Carl Martin.

Vaibhav Joshi

The CM is not just a Compressor. Its also capable of Limiting, which not all Compressors can do. So make sure whatever you look at is also capable of Limiting.

Id look at the one VJ mentioned from C Martin, as you are already familiar with his gear.

I myself like Compressors/Limiters that run on the full 48v.
Now I would have to read on compression & limiting. Thanks!

Trending Topics