Carl Martin never gets "props" here? plus Trem'ovibe question.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Aug 30, 2008.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I noticed over the years, the one manufacturer that never seems to get much press, talk, compliments, disses...not much talk at all, is Carl Martin.

I have actually never tried their pedals (and I live in Norway...it's a Danish company but I am sure they sell in the US too, and are in music stores) except for the Big John power supply which is excellent.

How come? For myself, I wonder if it isn't just some stupid aesthetics...I personally think the pedals are pretty ugly (at least the black ones with scipt) but when I caught myself at that, realized....I may be missing out.

Trem' o vibe: Anyone have any experience with the Trem'ovibe ? Just wondering how it sounds.

what about other Carl Martin (red repeat possibly gets mentioned here...not much else though).

Any great Martin pedals?

2. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

The entire 12V series is good quality.
    I used the Trem o' Vibe fora while. The trem is okay, the vibe is ver good, no coloration, very pure an transparent sound. I didn;t use either effect anymore (different band) so I sold it.
    The chorus is also very good but way different than what you're used to due to the totally tranpsparent sound. Most chouses colour a lot (warmer, brighter etc), the CM does not. It does boost the output on more intense settings though.
    The Hot Boost 'n Drive is a nice one as well, although the mk2 wasn't my cup of tea, never tried the mk3 though.

3. sinkrock

sinkrock Member

I love the Crush Zone. Sits somewhere between a DS-1, Big Muff and a RAT pedal - it's my main source of distortion. I'm currently think about getting another one for my mini board.

Only downside is it's rather strange shape!

4. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

I have a DeLayla that I absolutely love! It's an older one (the one that had some issues). Before buying I read lots of reviews here and on HC. It seems 7 out of 10 people had no issues and LOVED it. I thought those were pretty good odds, so I bought a used one on eBay for $100. I worked great for about a month, then I realized I was one of the 3 out of 10!. I e-mailed Carl Martin ( both the USA office and the Denmark office), and told them about my DeLayla issues.
    The USA customer service wasn't so helpful, "Where did you buy it? When did you buy? Do you have the receipt? Did you buy it new?" And some other questions that I can't remember. It didn't look good.
    The Denmark customer service said "Yea we know about that issue and we will fix it for free. Just send the pedal to us (with $35, to cover the return International shipping fees). Not one question was asked about "the receipt, new or used, how old, etc", "just send us the pedal and we'll fix it, and it will be better than new as we figured out the issue."
    Then I read " Send $35 in US cash! No Money Orders, Cashier's Check, No this, no that. $35 Cash. Hmmmmm....... I e-mailed Soren (I think that was his name) and told him the wife won't let me do it, it sounds too much like a scam! Why no MO, CC etc? It's BS! As much as I want my DeLayla fixed, I'd rather stay married and keep my $35 bucks and my pedal.
    He e-mailed back, joked that his wife would think the same thing. But it was company policy. $35 US cash, no coins.
    Against every bit of common sense I thought I had, I put my pedal, a 20, a 10 and a 5 dollar bill in a box and sent it off to Denmark. I even kissed the box goodbye when I handed it to the Post Office clerk. One morning about 3 weeks latter, I e-mailed Soren to ask if he received the Delayla pedal (knowing he did as It was sent International Priority Mail and Insured and I was tracking it with the Customs form) and went off to work. That afternoon, there was a yellow slip in my PO box. I thought great, I have to wait in line to get whatever my wife must have ordered. I almost **** myself when it was a package from Denmark! It took 3 weeks to the day!
    That was about 2 years ago and that pedal is still working. And one of my favorite delays ever!!

5. asintoras

asintoras Member

I have a Plexitone and a Delayla XL.
    I love them. The Plexitone sounds great, and it's very versatile with the boost (great feature).
    The Delayla XL has the sound that I always wanted, plus the tap tempo. Is very much like a tape echo, and the emulation of the second head (slapback) is great, although is kind of difficult to control the time on it.
    The self oscilation is OK... the best one and easiest that I have used is the one that came with the Ibanez DE-7. The new Echotone has it improved with the manual time setting, and this feature also allows you to have a better control of the self oscilation.
    Attached is a picture of my current board (sorry for the crappy pic).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

First off, just want to say thanks all, and especially thanks Mitch for the mini review. I hadn't realized these were 12v pedals...damn, gotta get a power supply (or do they come with them?).

The reason I quoted fendergeek....this is an age old issue. I also was taught VERY early in life not to EVER put actual money in an envelope and send it.

But you know what, it just plain isn't that dangerous. I have to do the same thing here in Norway to renew my US passport. The passport office will accept cashiers checks but only in dollars, and that isn't so easy here. So I will go to the bank, get some dollars, and put them in a registered post to them. I'm not worried...as I thought about it, as long as you make sure the envelope isn't "see through" there is no inherent danger in sending cash I don't think. It's just something that stuck since childhood, but especially when talking about 30 some dollars, I rationally just don't see a problem. The bigger problem would be if the post office lost the package, but in that case your out the pedal too so...

Just saying...

7. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

They have direct attached power plugs. People who use dedicated 9V power-units aren't amused, but people like me who just use a OneSpot and an AC109 in a multi-plug with an outlet to spare just plug these babies in ;)
    The later Vintage series are ordinary 9V's, but that serie is quite different from the 12V series. Apart from the issues with the Delayla and some problems with footswiches in the very early pedals (more greyish printing), the 12V series is very, very good.

8. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i had a tremovibe and used it on stage for 6 months or so. it sounds really good and both trem and vibe are very nice. the only thing bad i could say would be that the rate pots are very tweaky. the small knobs don't help this either. you go from very slow to very fast with tiny adjustments of the knobs. forget about being able to tweak with your foot on the fly.

9. duckman

duckman Member

I have the plexitone and i love it.It's the only dirt pedal that stayed on my board for the last 3 years! I also have the noise terminator ,but I don't need that anymore on my board.
    I tried their quattro (version 1, with the tremelo) too, great sounds.Still on my wish list, but now they released version 2 with chorus, need to try that version out when I have the chance.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Okay..I think I got it. So the one I just ordered the other day, will have a regular mains power plug attached? I read some reviews on HC, and somene complained that the cord is like 8 inches (that can't be right can it?) long....no matter, I can change it out if it is, just wondering what to expect.

I use a power supply (Big John, same as cioks) but don't mind plugging in to a power strip for pedals...

Looking forward to trying it. I hear a lot of differing opinion on the Trem o vibe.
    Also have a red repeat coming in the same shipment...

11. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

I have the Quattro (ver. 1 w/trem) and I love it more now than when I first took a chance and bought it. Not inexpensive by any means but to have a very small pedalboard that's built like a tank and contains 4 1/2 great sounding effects with a loop to add more (I use a DLS RotoSim in the loop), well it just works out just fantastic. BTW, I said 4 1/2 effects because the 2nd od is just fatter w/more gain on tap but has basically the same tone. Kinda like running a nuetral booster before your main od...very effective.
    There's a guy who chimes in on TGP who goes by the name RID...he designs alot of their stuff. He's very helpful.
    Greg

12. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I agree that CM stuff doesn't get enough praise around here. I've had several popular, boutique overdrives come and go in the last couple years, but my CM AC Tone has stayed. It's a great sounding overdrive with two channels of gain and a clean boost, all in one pedal. No one makes anything like that except for Toadworks.

I've also noticed that Proguitarshop.com doesn't do video demos for the CM stuff.

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I really wonder why that is about not getting much discussion here.
    I wonder if it is the desgn on the pedals (looks kinda too slick while also not gimmicky or funny, etc.)
    I wonder if it is the size...though I don't know how big they are. I would (with absolutely no basis in reality...just feeling) put them somewhere around Visual Sound (who also get very little props or discussion here, even they I know they have some killer pedals)...

Or ?

Combining trem and vibe in a pedal is a pretty nifty idea. Innovative (though I think Marshall pedals also do this)
    Also saw the one that has two seperate gain EQ stages...
    As you mention "no one makes one..." so they are unique in features in a number of their pedals.

So I can't figure out why they don't get discussed more. Maybe I'll find out when I get it...but I bet not. Because if they made substandard pedals there WOULD be talk of them then.

If they looked a little more homemade too probably. The black pedals aren't sexy looking at all, but the Red Repeat and that series look pretty cool, retro but not overly so (not like "let's-recreate-a-50's-diner-pedal-with fins" over-the-top kinda thing...just more art deco. Nice.

14. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Got that right..or Funkis as a similar style was called here in DK...
    TGP is not mainstream...it is a real niche place...not negative to me that it is.
    We are making stuff for a rather wide group of users...some is based on pleasing alot of players, while just doing its job without annoyance, other stuff is alittle more based on more personal preferences....some of the upcoming stuff reflects that.
    We have been around since the early 90s.....it has been good times for the most:)
    I am just a player that gets to make "toys".....I have my feet in both camps, so that is something I lean alot on!
    Actually our Echotone is there:)
    And I rather like the demo myself.
    And finally thanks for the nice comments, we try to make useable stuff....on the more mainstream side, but it is also a thing that we care about and something we want to work well...
    Use a good amount of time to gather info, have the finger in the ground for what is moving in the players domain...both pros and people who just enjoy it for personal useage....
    Feel free to ask me questions at any time, pm or here on the board, it is my job and something I like to do as well!
    Niels

15. Rid

Rid Senior Member

And I name myself thread killer now!
    :D

16. peridot1

peridot1 Member

Resurrect thread

Proguitarshop.com has the CM plexitone there. Two others I don't hear much is Maxon and damage control.

17. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

i had two CM pedals...still have one...i really like the compressor...did not bond with the rock drive...

18. oxtone

oxtone Member

I have the PlexiTone, and love it! Like others have said, it's a versatile pedal
    with the boost function for solos, which works great.

That said, I'm jones'n to hear an AC Tone! But, no one has it in town here in the Twin Cities.

19. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Rid,
    Keep making gear like my beloved Quattro and I won't care how many threads you kill!
    Greg

20. Rid

Rid Senior Member

:)
    Thanks mate......we will do just that for sure.
    I tricked my own out...lol it is a gruesome sight on the inside...but what nice new tones I got out of it.
    But that is how it is when you work with stuff like that..tweak tweak:D