Carl Martin Octa-Switch

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by this1smyne, Mar 1, 2008.

1. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

Hey guys. I came across one of these on the internet looking for midi/programable board solution. Has anyone played with one? Are they better than the combinator? Shipping dates? $? I've emailed carlmartin and about 3 other distributers, and all i get is that they are due out in march sometime.... i'm seriously debating getting one.

2. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I haven't messed with it at all, but a local store has at least one in stock...

3. Birddog

Birddog Member

I almost talked myself in to one. Then I realized that I went from a multi-effects unit back to an all-pedal board for flexibility.

The Octaswitch looks like a top-notch product. My problem is that each setting (footswitch) has a series of dip-switches to control which pedals are active when you engage that switch. For that to happen, all of the effects need to be "on" all the time. When I'm playing around (and gigging) I might suddenly feel the urge to throw on a touch of chorus or flange, or change to a different delay. Unless you have all this stuff pre-programmed on each setting, you can't do that anymore. For me, the 8 switches wouldn't be enough. Our cover band does so many styles and types of songs, I'm constantly pedal hopping.

Again, I think it's a good product and if I were just playing blues, or just rock, I would have ordered one. But I need the flexibility of being able to step on a pedal for an added touch here or there.

As for availability, they seem to be pushing back the date....

4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

+1 to the above. Years ago, I ended up ditching a huge rack setup because of the lack of flexibility. I could get just about any sound I'd ever need out of it, as long as I had everything programmed... but there was no way to suddenly add a booster, flanger, tremolo or whathaveyou to the existing sound, which I eventually grew tired of. When I realized I spent at least as much time programming as actually playing, I ditched the whole thing and started a small pedalboard instead.

For me, the problem with the Octaswitch is that it is too big - I don't want to program my entire board, as that would mean I can no longer add or remove a specific pedal on the fly. If the Octaswitch had insert points between the loops, that would help a lot (as it would let me control some pedals "manually"). But I'd actually prefer something smaller, which would let me program a specific section/group of pedals on my board. A unit similar to the Octaswitch but smaller, with four loops/programs, would be perfect - I could control a compressor and three dirt pedals, to allow me to set up four different base tones. The other pedals would then be turned on/off as usual, giving me full control of what I wanted to add/remove. If you're a delay junkie like me (I have three different delays on my board) I could add a second unit to control that group, if I wanted to.

The Octaswitch seems like a great piece of kit, but a Quatraswitch would really get my attention, definitely... Rid, are you there? :D

/Andreas

5. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

RE: mid effects loop
    couldn't you in theory flip DIP switch 5 (or 4, or 6, or 7) on ALL channels and plug in whatever effects that you want to 'manually' control into that loop, thus creating a mid-octa-effects insert that would be accessable from all 'presets'? I feel like with some creativity it would be an incrediably verstile tool that would eliminate a lot of jumping (and having to step on the TIM and 808 in the same movement with a slight compressor tap).

6. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Absolutely. That's one way of doing it. For me, though, the kind of switching you described (turning one or two od/pedals on/off at the same time as a comp, to go to/from a dirty sound to a clean sound with compressor) is responsible for at least 80% of my tap-dancing. Having a reasonably sized unit that could automate that section of the board would be immensely helpful. Personally, I'd prefer to limit my programming to those three-four pedals, without having to program the delay/modulation pedals as well.

But leaving one loop active/open would absolutely work as an insert point, like you said.

/Andreas

7. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Hehe a smaller unit is being considered.....along time ago actually, but we will get there eventually...we are a small operation manpowerwise...so we have to make priorities...
    But I think that a smaller one will be made later on, and a Combi3 is also being developed...but that one will be at the other end of the pricescale!

8. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

how many loops are you considering for the smaller one? maybe 4? i was gonna ask that question next, are there any smaller but similar devices available? I'd love to redo my overdrive section if at all possible (TIM, 808, Comp, Fuzz) without upgrading to the ridiculously expensive gigrig.

9. Rid

Rid Senior Member

4...but do not wait for it.....it is not to be made in the nearest future:)
    We are more than normal busy these days!
    But will eventually get around it!

10. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

a buddy of mine has the Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher and Commander, you should check this one out. They aren't near as big as they look, and gives you instant access as well as programming capabilities.

11. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Cool! As I said, that'd be something I'd take a really close look at - a smaller solution to clean up and simplify operations in a specific section on the board, rather than a large unit which more or less controls the whole board.

Good to hear things are going well for you guys!

/Andreas

12. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

Anybody use one of these??

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I'm satisfied with my LoopMaster. Considered the Octaswitch, it looks to be a decent product, couldn't justify the extra complexity and cost given my simpler needs. The LoopMaster has 8 independent loops, plus a dedicated tuner out that mutes the input when engaged, plus a global bypass.

A note re: the rat's nest wiring. My next task was going to be cleaning it up with replacement custom wiring but the unit sounds so good as is, I decided to leave well enough alone!

[​IMG]

14. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

Looks great John!!!

I did consider that very exact model however I use 3-4 diff pedals (at a time) and a fair few presets so leaning towards the Octa-Switch to eliminate tap dancing but concerned about the "pops"