Carl Martin PlexiTone experts needed! Vertex mod question.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kyle Ashley, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

I picked up another pre-owned PlexiTone to hold me over while I send one to Vertex for their mod job. I plugged in the one I got today next to my other one, set up the controls the same, and was surprised at how different they sounded.

My first one is more open and clear with a sharper attack and less output volume. The second one I bought was louder, punchier, with more mids, but a bit more compressed. Twisting the knobs about, I could get them to sound about the same at some point.

When I opened to look at the guts, I noticed they have some differences. So my question is, what is the difference in age or release version between these and which one is a better candidate for the Vertex mods?

Here are some pics to illustrate the different board components:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

The biggest difference is the 3x LED (top pic) has asymmetrical clipping, while the lower one has symmetrical. You can read up about the circuit on freestompboxes.org

3. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Thats interesting.

I do know they have tweaked the unit over time. but I don't have any information.

FWIW, I recently bought mine brand new and its the version with the 3 LEDs you have pictured. Which one is that in relation to your descriptions?

4. Kyle Ashley

The 3 LED model was the first one I bought. More open, less compressed feeling. I emailed Mason at Vertex and directed my questions to him, so hopefully he'll pop in here and comment. Most likely it doesn't matter which one I send in as he changes a good deal in these.

5. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

You can also pm TGP member Rid about it. He designed the Plexitone.

6. Rid

Rid Senior Member

The top one is a new one, with antibleed bypass and such..
    The other one is from the very first run!
    Use the old one for mods...hehe

7. Kyle Ashley

Thanks for the info Rid! And thanks for a great pedal!

8. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

Sorry to resurrect an old post but does anyone know why Vertex stopped doing their mods to this pedal?

I would love to mod mine to have treble/Middle/Bass instead of just a tone control

9. lonetone483

lonetone483 Member

I would be very interested to know as well. I just picked one up with the intentions of sending it to Vertex but saw they discontinued it after I had already gotten the pedal. Its my own fault. Im curious to know either way

10. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Mason is a stand up guy. I drove up and had my Plexitone modded. If my memory serves me correctly I think CM had stopped or slowed the supply of Plexitones. I know he had his hands full with other stuff.

*BTW, Their must be a 3rd version because the one I got has 3 LEDS but resembles a little of both as far as resistor placements etc. Also instead of a forth LED it has a resistor in it's place.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  11. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

He has posted on his website that he will no longer be offering the mods for the Plexitone. That was as off last September I believe. Since then, he may have started it up again.

12. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

for what its worth i get plenty of flexibility just following the stock plexitone with an old ibanex graphic eq pedal. cut out some 3khz, add some 200hz, you're in business. really helps me out because i sometimes run my board through different amps at church or in rehearsals, and it helps to tailor my sound to different speakers/cabs/etc. my favorite setting is to put the tone at almost all the way up, and then cut almost all of 3khz after it. really opens up the high-end without the harshness.

Dannyz likes this.
  13. Kyle Ashley

OP here.....after the Bogner pedals came out I sold my Vertex Plexitone. Don't miss it one bit, but it was THE MAN for awhile. Still a great pedal.

14. bobotwt

bobotwt Member

So which of the Bogners?

Josh

15. Kyle Ashley

I have 3 blues and 2 reds, all on different boards of course.

95% of my live work is done with the blue on plexi mode. But my main rig has been Ecstasy amps since the mid 90s, so the pedals were a perfect match for me on my smaller rigs where I don't use the real things.

16. bobotwt

bobotwt Member

Thanks. So the blue gets that hi-mid Marshall krang like the plexitone?

Josh

17. Kyle Ashley

Not exactly....it does the Bogner Ecstasy version of a Plexi.....which is what I liked more.

The 2 pedals were close, and I've posted about it a few times here at TGP, but overall the Bogners were a bit cleaner and less congested in the lower mids compared to the Vertex PT.

The stock PT, I found too bright and harsh into the front of Fender amps. After the Vertex mod, it was much more useable.

Now I use the Bogner pedals into a Bogner Barcelona 1x12 combo for small gigs and am 100% satsified.

18. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

So does anyone have the specs to the Vertex mods?
    I have a DIY Plexitone that I actually prefer to my Bogner Blue, as far as a 2-channel pedal goes. There's too much of a difference between my boosted and non-boosted settings on the Blue. My DIY Plexitone has a 50K Crunch pot (instead of the 100K stock) and a 250K High Gain (instead of 1M). Much better classic-to-cranked Marshall sounds.
    If I could add a 3-band eq, I'd probably build one or two more.....

Dannyz likes this.
  19. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Reopening this old thread because I'd like to hear an answer to Bucksears question.

Bucksears likes this.
  20. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Vertex, hehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehehhehehhehehehhehehehehhehehehhehe