Carl Martin PlexiTone into Fender combos

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kyle Ashley, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Anyone with experience using the CM Plexi-Tone into a Fender 112 combo?

I'm really interested in the pedal, but have read some reports on it being fairly picky about the amp it's hitting. I'm just looking for a good beefy crunch tone for classic rock into my Super-Sonic 22.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I haven't done it yet with mine...

...but I don't recommend it. My experience is its borderline too bright into my mid heavy Marshall/LP/Celestion combination. Fender would rip your head off...

With that said, the super sonic isn't quite classic fender. Pair it with warm middy celestion speakers and it might work.

3. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

i do it with a HRDlx or Deville. Bright switch off, Presence off mids on 7, bass less than 4 and treble between 4-7. I use a radial amp sim di to the house. That said, ive changed the speaker in the dlx to a celestion vintage 30 and I think this amp sounds better than the deville. The Deville is a house amp so i cant change the speakers or i would..,.

4. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

I've used my Plexi-Tone into my stock Blues Jr. with great results. My only complaint is that it's a bit on the noisy side, but the tone is fantastic.

5. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I prefer celestions in Fenders as well. They just work better for those looking for great clean AND distortion.

6. nteague

nteague Member

I have the fsr green blues jr with c-rex and the plexitone sounds great through it...

7. Kyle Ashley

Thanks for the responses so far. The main clean tone of the SS22 is basically DR-like, maybe a tad brighter, but the boost section of that tone is much more muscular. I was hoping the PT would sound good into that.

I've been using a Kingsley Jester, which is great, but fairly bright and not really Marshall-like at all. I'd love to conjure up a bit of that woody knock of a good Plexi through this amp, and as we all know, Pete's youtube demo was excellent and raised my eyebrows a bit.

I will add, that for me, the Dirty Little Secret was shrill and treble-y in that capacity.

8. jms6668

jms6668 Member

I don't like the Plexitone in front of a DR reissue without running en EQ after it. It needed something to bring it "forward".

9. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I ran it through the Normal channel of my DRRI, and it was a tad bright, but still sounded nice. You could adjust it with EQ, speaker choice, etc.

10. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i'm using my vertex modded plexitone with a super champ xd and thanks to the tone modifications it is killer.
    but it sounds absolutely brilliant in front of my mojave peacemaker.

11. dtfan4ever

dtfan4ever Member

I'm using a Vertex modded one with my Fender HRDeluxe3 and it sounds awesome.

12. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

I've used it with very good results into a Blues DLX with a Vintage 30 in it. I do think it likes the Celestions much better than the stock Fender speakers.

13. Kyle Ashley

Thanks for such a great set of replies! I don't know what the Vertex mod is, but I'll look into it as well. Can't hurt to try one. I can always re-sell it I guess.

14. Kyle Ashley

I'll update this for anyone in the future.

Used the stock Plexi-Tone into my Super-Sonic 22 live last night. It works well with the Mid/Fat boost engaged on channel 1. Brings a nice bit of Marshall-like bottom end to that channel especially compared to my Jester, which was more midrange and fusion like.

I did talk to Mason at Vertex and will most likely pop for the PlexiTone mod since the ability to dial in more midrange would be important on my fly dates with unknown backline amps.

15. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Why even use a PT on a Super Sonic 22???
    I have a Super Sonic 22 and with that drive channel..pedals kinda becomes about obsolete:)

16. Kyle Ashley

The drive channel is OK, but it doesn't really do a decent Marshall crunch/thump. To me, it's smoother with more mids so I keep it set up for more of an SRV tone. Or it can do a really gainy overdrive that's a bit grainy sounding.

The PT brings the low end girth that the SS22 gain channel lacks and it just sounds great on the classic rock guitar standards from the 60s,70s and early 80s.

The mid boost/fat switch on the SS really makes the PT cool with this amp. I also found that an Xotic EP booster after the PT can add some magic if needed.

17. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Well the SS 22 made all my dirt pedals go into retirement:)