Carl Martin Plexitone opinions needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wagster, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Wagster

Wagster Member

I'm seriously looking into a Carl Martin Plexitone and wanted to get a few more opinions. To my ears the Plexitone sounds the most authentic in the clips. Are there any other pedals that can get that knock in the mids similar to an old plexi? Yeah I know it's just a pedal but if it can get close I'm happy.

Here's a reference Plexi tone of what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
    Billy

2. Wagster

Wagster Member

3. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

What are you going to play it through? Amp/cab...?

4. Wagster

Wagster Member

A Dr Z Jaz 20/40 2x10 combo. I set it for a fat and warm clean tone that's pretty even sounding from top to bottom.

btw: your clip is what got me interested in the Plexitone.

5. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Plextione is a hard beast to tame. It does NOT fall into a boutique pedal type of sounds. So if you expect easy to play gain and instant EQ satistfaction, look elsewhere.

If you want a plexi cranked up sound, and are realistic to what those actually sound like (bright, a bit harsh, and messy) then the plexitone is pretty darn good.

Here is a clip of mine into a Marshall amp set clean using an LP

6. Wagster

Wagster Member

I like that old school raunchy plexi tone. The Plexitone seems to do a great job of capturing that vibe. Your clip sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

7. jonas

jonas Member

The Carl Martin Plexitone is a great pedal with a lot of gain. I still have mine after i got a Diezel Einstein head - but I don't use the pedal any more :)

8. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

I think it would sound good through that Dr Z. If you can, read up on the Vertex mod as well. Makes it a bit more flexible for playing through different amps. I really like mine. Just bought a second one to get the Vertex treatment. It's the only MIAB that I've found that brings that big, woody, knock in the low end, and sounds pretty convincing.

9. Wagster

Wagster Member

I hear that the newer Plexitones have address the bleed issue when the pedal is off and also the boost is not as touchy as it once was. Does the Vertex make is easier to dial in? $200 seems a little expensive for a mod.

10. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

11. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I would guess you really are looking for an MI Audio Crunchbox.

12. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

The CM Plexitone is a very bright pedal and amp dependent on what it can do to get that tone you seek. It pairs really well with darker sounding amps that have a thick midrange otherwise it will shear your head off with treble. I recently traded the Plexitone for a Rockett Flex and found the Flex pedal suited my amp - Fuchs ODS 30 - much better. I was using the plexitone with an ODS 100 that was very mid heavy and it totally made that amp sound like a Plexi. But I sold that amp and then traded the Plexitone which was way too bright for my ODS 30 which has more open Fendery mids. The Plexitone is due for an update any day now by Carl Martin and IMHO it is probably not worth paying the $200 + shipping for the vertex mod when there are so many other options out there that nail this tone - (Rockett Pedals among others) and CM is coming out with a new version in the next few weeks.

13. Wagster

Wagster Member

I've played a Crunchbox and it sounded nothing like a Plexi. I did think it was a cool pedal.

14. djlynch

djlynch Supporting Member

Had a CMPT. It's maybe a bit amp picky. It does that Marshall "aunch" well. It can be an angry one

15. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

As others have stated yes, it is somewhat amp dependant but just run an EQ after it and you´re good to go. The tone is glorious, no other pedal comes close (though I havent tried the XTS Atomic yet ;) )

16. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

Not near enough eq flexibility like the Wampler Pinnacle - I dropped it in lieu of the Pinnacle. Much better pedal, IMO.

17. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

I like the Flex but the Animal is clearly closer to what you want. I love the Rockett pedals these days. Great builds and not a bad one in the bunch.

18. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Bump for any information on the new PlexiTone version? A release date, perhaps?

19. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

+1, but I'd go with the Pinnacle deluxe to make it go to 11!

20. The Melodyman

The Melodyman Member

Just ordered one of these.. No info on what they updated, but I did email them and they confirm an updated model has been shipping in the USA for many months..I was concerned I might get an older pre-updated model but they assured me all units now are updated ones..