Carl Martin Plexitone - opinions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by journo, Oct 8, 2006.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi,

At the beginning of summer
    I had the chance to borrow a Plexitone for a few weeks and I really enjoyed. After giving it back I really miss it.
    Tried to get my other ODs to do the Plexitone to do that thing but can't. The Plexitone has a certain kind of dynamic to it that got to me.

Any opinions about the Plexitone out here?

Cheers,

Mats N

2. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

I played a Plexitone very briefly through a Non-MV Marshall set to moderate volume. Great pedal and really flexible. I liked it a lot.

3. Rid

Rid Senior Member

lol you do eh???
    Hehe maybe you should order a custom one then??
    Niels
    ;)

4. gulliver

gulliver Member

A lot of people have claimed that certain pedals give them a great AC/DC tone, but I try them and they never do. The PlexiTone is the only one I've tried that's raspy enough and voiced to get that tone ... at least with my JCM800.

I think I still have to dial it in better, though. It's a little too solid state through my clean channel and just too much through my distortion channel ... at least the way I have it set up right now. I think it's a situation where I'll have to dial my amp in just for that pedal for that sound. Cheaper than buying another amp, though.

5. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Try it through and oldersounding amp...that was how I made it to work the best.
    JCM800 is way more modern than a 1987 or an old non MV 1959 Marshall.
    I also used a Hiwatt as guide, through a set of 4x12 greenbacks it took off like it should.
    But then again it is not all oldstyle Marshall either, it is a slight hotrod, like you already have boosted the amp with more than just hot pickups.
    I made a tons of different versions of it, some are way more vintagy and gnarly, plus they got that funny topend those old mean amps has...but as said it works the best on a non MV Marshall, preferly all vintage or made like one of the old ones.
    Niels

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

My JCM800 is a 2205 modded by Voodoo. Although, the lead channel is very modern, the normal channel can get a decent AC/DC crunch when up past 7 and with a lot of tweeking.

I just spent a lot of time with this pedal and I think I understand it more. Certainly, if you already have an old marshall, you don't need a pedal to make it sound more like itself. But this pedal does a nice job of boosting a rhythm crunch into lead territory, without making the tone too full and dense; and thus modern sounding. My PRS muffles the tone when I dime the amp and turn the guitar volume down for a rhythm sound, even though it has a treble bleed cap. The Plexitone allows me to start low on the amp setting (rhythm) and boost from there (lead), even though the amp may be able to cover both tones by manually changing the dials on the amp.

One complaint, however, the distortion setting's output control is way too touchy. I think a different pot value would make it much better for boosting an already distorted signal without having to move the output control one hair at a time with worries about going into complete feedback.

The pedal is okay going into a clean or slightly overdriven amp. It does a good job of simulating power tube clipping. It's not great, but as good as any considering it's just a pedal. I don't use the boost feature a whole lot, but it's nice for comparisons, as you can tell how much of the pedal's distortion is shaping the tone, rather than just boosting the signal. Sometimes you think a pedal has great distortion, but it might be just boosting the signal for the better tone.

7. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Well it was made for adding channels to a vintage amp, I used my old 200+ watts muy clean Hiwatt DR201 with various speakers as my main testing amp.
    The volume pot does not come much lower as it is, it is very loud, if I trim down the internal volume the sound goes out the door!
    It was originally a one channel drive, so the knobs where never an issue before some suggestions for a additional less driven channel where made.
    As for how it sounds...I leave that to the person who uses it, it does not fit everybodys setup or style of playing.
    I made it for myself as a secondchannel for my Hiwatt or my old Park 75.

Dannyz likes this.
  8. gulliver

gulliver Member

I think it's the kind of pedal one needs to get used to, it's certainly not a TS-9 clone. I think it's clipping grain and voicing are more extreme than most pedals, which has thrown me off a little. I've owned a ton of pedals, and I do rank it high. It sure doresn't get a lot of hype on this forum, where lesser pedals are over-hyped.

Rid ... any simple mods to turn the clean boost into an OD or fuzz?

9. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Heh well I for sure did not want it to be pretty, as most good sounding Marshalls are pretty gritty on their own:D
    But it depends on what speakers and amp that is used.
    Nah not really, it is the OP-Amp that drives the cleanbooster!

10. X-Man

X-Man Member

I just picked up a Plexitone for my Vox AC-15. If it doesn't work out, I can sell it for close to what I paid. Any thoughts on how the Plexitone will mess with my 2006 AC-15? Thanks.

11. Rid

Rid Senior Member

AC-15...wow...I think that the amp might have alittle hard times on its hands!?
    But who knows??

12. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

the DRD or StageHog, can't be beat for plexi sound in my very PLEXI-obsessed opinion...

13. X-Man

X-Man Member

Rid: I don't get what you mean with "hard times on it's hands." Are you implying that it's going to break down soon?

14. Rid

Rid Senior Member

It is just that the Plexi has alot of output and lowend...which speaker does it have??
    Hehe I do not think it will break down, I just think that it will be pushed alot.

15. jhc

jhc Senior Member

I'm curious as to whether you ever tried a CoT50 for this...

16. LOCUSTFIST

LOCUSTFIST Member

i've been running a plexitone through el84s for a couple of months now....i also spend most of my time building plexi based amps....and i think the plexitone nails it.

17. gulliver

gulliver Member

No I have not, but for what it's worth, I don't think the clips sound anything like a Plexi ... but we all know the deal with clips.

The PlexiTone isn't like a normal pedal, it's more like a modeling pedal that can do only one model ... but very well.

18. X-Man

X-Man Member

Rid: I'm curious about the output load too, but that's one of the things that makes the Plexitone interesting to me as well. My AC-15 currently has the stock speaker, which is kind of modeled on a green back. However, I'm going to be upgrading the tubes and speaker soon, which should help it handle most anything. If the Plexitone isn't a good fit, I'll just sell it and try something else.

BTW, are you familiar with Steffen Kretz? He's a tv journalist for DR Event in Denmark and a good friend. Take care.

19. Rid

Rid Senior Member

To be honest I like its sound best on a quadbox, but sometimes those Vox amps eats about anything, the AC-15 is a cool little amp for sure, have a Vox like amp, outputstage is two EL-84's, powered by an old 60's Dynacord powersupply from a 50 watts amp, it gives 15 watts clean, and goes up to about 30-40 watt when cranked.
    I got a pair of CZ-EL-84 from Tubeamp doctor.
    And I use both a 15" Jensen speaker and a 4x12 CM cab with V-30's in it.
    Here is an off the cuff clip through a CM 50 2x12 combo, speakers are V-30's.
    Used an old Kramer with a JB.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=139983&songID=3937261
    And using one of Mat's cool tracks....this time it is a closedback cab, same speakers, and the amp is the headversion without reverb, a precense control is is intalled instead.
    Same guitar.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=139983&songID=3941562

20. X-Man

X-Man Member

Rid:

I got the Plexitone in the mail today. I'm still getting to know it and was finally able to get some good tones out of it. I'll have more time to mess around with it this weekend. Seems fairly versatile. The clean boost is monster. Almost too much. At this point, I like the clean boost on my Barber Launch Pad better. There's more range on it as opposed to having a big boost right out of the gate. I could be my amp but the Lauch Pad doesn't do that on my Vox. Time will tell whether the Plexitone has a permanent place on my board. I'll check out your sound clips when I get home and get back with you later.