Carl Martin Plexitone vs Rockett Animal.... FINALLY!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by strings4v, May 15, 2015.

1. strings4v

strings4v Member

Sooo as I have both pedals in my possession, I thought I'd do a shootout that I wanted to see myself before I purchased Animal.
    They both aim for a "Marshall in a box" style, but they do so in a very different way. I like Plexitone slightly more. But I do really like Animal doing its lower gain stuff. Also the mid emphasis is nice on the Animal. It really shines when it's boosting another distortion pedal or an amp channel.
    Let me know which one you prefer!

2. crifasta

crifasta Gold Supporting Member

Good demo. I thought the Plexitone sounded more amp-like (albeit modern-ish) and full while the Animal sounded a bit more lo-fi and pedal-like. I agree on the Animal sounding good on the lower gain though.

3. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

Plexitone is a great pedal, but a little scooped for live use IMO. Great at bedroom levels, can get a little buried in the mix with a full band. Obviously, YMMV.

4. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

If you use it with an amp with a neutral character, and maybe even leaning towards mid forward- the plexitone kills in that application. Like onto an AC30 normal (NON treble boost) circuit. Into a bright amp, or a scooped amp, it'll be too much searing top and fat bottom.

5. Swifty

Swifty Member

Or stacked into a mid-humped pedal (with the gain way down) like an Amp11, TS or something Klon-ish. My only beef with it is the taper of the gain pot, way too much too soon. Amp-like feel in spades tho, lots of fun to play at volume.

6. johann

johann Member

Plexitone FTW!!!

7. jchan

jchan Member

I agree about the Plexitone not cutting in a mix well. It sounds good alone but in a band gets buried unless you use something like a TS or Graphic EQ after it. With that said, I have only played it live with a Fender amp and strat. Maybe with a Plexi or Vox, along with a les paul it would do better.

It's interesting to me how many plexi pedals sound mid-scooped. The plexi's I own and have played always have an aggressive midrange character.

8. strings4v

strings4v Member

Hey Pete!
    Yes PT sounds great through my Budda. Superdrive isn't a bright amp per se.. so it works out nicely even with the bright switch pulled on the clean channel.
    I ran it into a Hot Rod Deluxe once.. didn't sound as nice.

9. strings4v

strings4v Member

koko mid boost as well... a killer combination paired with a Plexitone IMO

10. jchan

jchan Member

Do you prefer it before or stacked after the plexitone?

11. strings4v

strings4v Member

Before Plexitone. I've always thought Koko boost was meant to hit things before them... Do people use it otherwise? Just curious.