CARL MARTIN QUATTRO - Somebody has to have played one of these things!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 62Tele, May 21, 2006.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

C'mon guys - I'm really curious. This thing any good?

2. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

I did not try it,but I'm pretty sure there is a good review of it in the latest issue of GUITARIST magazine.

3. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

After trying to sell one of their effects (successfully, but at a great loss), I'm of the opinion that they're (Carl Martin) just not popular in the US. For what it's worth, I think they have above slightly above average built quality and amazing headroom. I had the PlexiTone, and can't fault it. I only sold mine because of my buy-eBay-repeat disease.

4. Sanj

Sanj Member

bump ... in case someone has had any recent exposure to the unit .. would like to hear about it

:JAM

5. Sanj

Sanj Member

bump again in case any new info :cool:

6. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I would sure like to hear one. If it had a tuner it could be one stop shopping.

7. SHM

SHM Member

Hello

Living in Denmark I´ve tried it out in a musicshop in copenhagen. The compresser is very nice, just like the CM compresser, but with only two controls, sustain and level, like keeley, mxr.

The drive sounds nice. There are low gain/high gain ala the Plexitone.

The tremolo sounds very nice (fender like) and can go very slow. I like it! The delay sounds like CM´s delay. Very nice and lush and tab tempo.

There also a effectloop for tuner, od, ect.

I think it´s the most userfriendly and best sounding multieffect I´ve ever tried.

Sorry for the gramma and spelling.

Søren

8. Sanj

Sanj Member

Thanks Soren, any and all input appreciated :AOK

-Sanj

9. yannroman

yannroman Member

Hi! I tried it today and I must admit I'm fairly impressed by each effect.
    I own over 60 boutique pedals (fulltone, mi audio, menatone, T.rex,...) so I could compare to some of the best pedals out there.
    Great compressor in this machine! VERY transparent, think Keeley comp but less squash, more natural and discrete to my ears, way more headroom also.
    I have some compressors (keeley, barber tone press, orange squeezer...) but very seldom use them because they always compromise my tone in the end, this one really sounds and FEELS natural, great as a booster also.
    The overdrive section is similar to a plexitone, for those who are familiar with it. Slightly less gain, but more than enough, from light crunch to heavy rock, very "plexi" sounding, very open quite like the ocd (which I love) but with slightly more pronounced mids.
    Great natural overdrive, I was expecting the OCD to blow it away, but... honestly it is in the same ballpark, I resent myself for saying that:jo but I have to be fair: GREAT, GREAT overdrive, now I understand the hype for the plexitone.
    Nice feature also to be able to get 2 shades of OD (separate gain on each side)
    The tremolo is just sweet, very transparent also, and natural, too. To my ears it didn't sound as much 3-dimensional as the Fulltone supa-trem, but it has that amp-like quality and sounds very vintage.
    Finally the delay section is delivering a wonderful analog echo (up to 1 sec) with real character and (once again) vintage oriented. You still have the ability to make it brighter but it will not sound like a digital delay, and retains its warmth.

The overall feeling I have on the Quattro is these effects really match with each other, apart from their individual quality, they combine really well with no tweaking required to find the sweetspots, just adjust to taste and you're set!

I should add that I don't work for Carl Martin's and I don't even own a quattro nor plan to buy one because I spent a lot of time finding my sound(s) already, and my setup (even if in constant evolution) is really satisfying me.

That said I strongly recommand this pedal as each of these effects are in par with most of the boutique pedals (if not better). My 2 cents, of course, but we did the test today with 2 of my mates (also professional players and gear freaks), we could have suffered from collective hallucination, but this pedal floored us, period.

10. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Thanks for the review. How much money?

11. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Wow thanks guys - I posted this a long time ago and I was really surprised to see this thread pop back up.

Sounds like they nailed the thing - I've been really impressed by the Carl Martin compresor and Parametric EQ pedals. Great build quality. I can't usually stand compressors either but the CM version is so transparent I got along with it just fine (wish I had kept it now - great recording tool). The rest of the effects sound perfect for my needs. And an effects loop to boot?

Sounds like there may be a new pedal coming home soon. Is that the UPS truck...?

12. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    The only issue that has stopped me from buying one, is the lack of Chorus.

I know this is opening a can of worms, but FOR ME, I would have traded the Trem or Comp for a Chorus, then it would be the perfect GrabNGo board for me.

YMMV of course, but that said, I just picked up an Empress Trem and I'm Loving it!

Price is in the high USD500's i think?

13. mr. meeks

mr. meeks Member

i agree with the chorus thing actually

14. Rid

Rid Senior Member

That is why it has a loop;)
    The trouble is that the chorus we have now never would have been able to fit in.
    It is simply taking up too much space, as it has an extra print inside.
    P'S the drive is not a Plexitone, it is way milder and with less thumping lowend, a different clipcircuit and much more friendly on most amps, unlike the Plexi that prefers British voiced amps.

15. eugewong

eugewong Member

Rid,

If you guys can find a way to stick a chorus in there (for me personally, in place of the comp) I'd have one already!

If I were to utilize the loop, I would be tempted to, and most probably put in a chorus, another lead pedal and a volume pedal.... Than it would totally defeat the purpose of a GrabNGo board, which is what in my eyes the Quattro is to me.

Although right now, Looking at the pictures again, there looks to be enough space to velcro a couple of MXR-sized boxes (sideways?) onto the top, between the switches and the knobs....hmmmmm

Might be fugly, but :dude

16. Rid

Rid Senior Member

There is no room left for it, we will have to make a whole new one, and the time is not working for us in that way right now, we are simply too busy.
    But a Quattro with a chorus is on the board on future developements.
    Damn the 80's must have returned with all this chorus talk;)
    Niels

17. eugewong

eugewong Member

What can I say? I grew up in the 80's!

18. yannroman

yannroman Member

Sorry for any misunderstanding, I didn't mean to say the overdrive channel on the quattro was the same as the plexitone, anyway I don't OWN any of them.
    I based my review on the impression I had of the plexitone, which appeared to be in the same ballpark soundwise. The quattro seemed to have less gain when maxed and a more medium-oriented voicing.
    I heard the plexitone on a Peavey classic 50 and the quattro on my Dr.Z MAZ18 head with Bogner 2x12 with V30, so it is hard to make a true comparison.
    That said both of them sound very open, especially the quattro and those who enjoy the OCD won't be disappointed with the natural overdrive (very amp-like) it delivers.
    I might add that it sounded slightly more open, less compressed than the Mi audio Tubezone (another great pedal) with less gain when maxed, but the tubezone is more polyvalent (many EQ options).
    Hope this helps, once again I have a s**tload of high end boutique pedals and my rig is "almost" complete, still I would buy the quattro not only for its all-in-one conveniency but also for the top quality of the sounds (all of them). A total winner!

19. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Anyone know of any Carl Martin dealers in Michigan? One more question: it has left and right outputs...is the delay stereo? And if so, is it dry/wet or ping-pong or what?
    Greg

20. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

No Chorus!!!!!!!!!!!