• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Carlos has jumped the shark

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Use to like Carlos. Especially the Moonflower period. The last few CD's have been pretty bad IMO. Joe Cocker singing Little Wing might be cool but otherwise this looks horrible. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyone heard this care to comment?

Track list:

1. Whole Lotta Love - (featuring Chris Cornell)
2. Can't You Hear Me Knockin' - (featuring Scott Weiland)
3. Sunshine of Your Love - (featuring Rob Thomas)
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - (featuring India.Arie/Yo-Yo Ma)
5. Dance the Night Away - (featuring Pat Monahan)
6. Back in Black - (featuring Nas)
7. Riders on the Storm - (featuring Chester Bennington/Ray Manzarek)
8. Smoke on the Water - (featuring Jacoby Shaddix)
9. Photograph - (featuring Chris Daughtry)
10. Bang a Gong - (featuring Gavin Rossdale)
11. Little Wing - (featuring Joe Cocker)
12. I Ain't Superstitious - (featuring Jonny Lang)

Edit:

Just found this thread: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/752995&highlight=santana but that was before the CD was released. Any comments from those who have heard it?

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Haven't heard it, but from your list of singers above it appears that all but the first 2 songs are certainly going to be "lite" versions of the originals, suitable for soccer moms.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
Saw the India Aire tune on Jay Leno the other night.

Big past Carlos fan here as well, saw him in Vegas live last year - smokin' tone and great chops on the old favorites.

On Leno, meh. Not too impressed.

BryanMatthews

from the tracklist and the singers, most of whom ive never heard of , id say this one is destined for elevators everywhere

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
from the tracklist and the singers, most of whom ive never heard of , id say this one is destined for elevators everywhere
While the album sounds like a pretty grim prospect to me, I have a hard time imagining most of these singers as "elevator music types."

BryanMatthews

While the album sounds like a pretty grim prospect to me, I have a hard time imagining most of these singers as "elevator music types."
LOL, i can just imagine the backings played on an organ with electronic drums with carlos playing the same licks he has used for 30 years.

seriously,ill be giving this one a miss :rotflmao

telecopter

Silver Supporting Member
IMHO, he hasn't done anything that interests me since Moonflower. He bores me to death these days.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Funny how no one posting has heard the CD and they're already sh*tting all over it.
I for one am not "shitting all over it", but I can say that, based on the track list and collaborators, I am not optimistic about the results of this project.

trickness

Analog with a side of DSP
He keeps trying to do the same thing over and over - have another pop hit record with guest singers.

monty

I'm not a big CS fan but love all the tunes he picked so I'll be interested in hearing it.

v-verb

I for one am not "shitting all over it", but I can say that, based on the track list and collaborators, I am not optimistic about the results of this project.
Let's hope it turns out good then. I'll be buying it on Tuesday

Gargloic

I heard it in late july and it is the first time I will consider buying a Santana album.

Yes it is cheesy but I love cheese...

:JAM

Gargloic

somecafone

When I heard of this concept, I had to roll my eyes.

You can now preview all the songs on Amazon, and I suspect iTunes as well.

He's playing wah all over the record, fwiw.

Yes, the songs are very soccer-mom and radio friendly. Lotta keys on "Dance The Night Away."

And, uh, a rap "Back In Black"? Uh, no.

The Joe Cocker and India Arie are about the only songs worth a damn.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom