carlos tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

do you know which pedal carlos uses ..the zendrive or mosferatu..and from your own experience which one would YOU suggest for that santana tone/sustain?...and yes folks, i am aware its all in the hands.

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

carlos only uses 3 pedals:

Crybaby/Vox wah, Ibanez ts808, TRex Replica delay

the drive usually comes from the amps (mesa mark I, Dumble Overdrive Special)

3. thetone

thetone Member

AFAIK, I believe it's a Mutron wah and always has been.

Blues Wail likes this.
  4. lowinchi

lowinchi Member

So much of Santana's sound and tone is in his axe and amp combo and of course his technique. Usually he uses a Dumble or Mesa Boogie. The realy "key" is HIS Santana II guitar. Not the ones being sold, but the ones made for him are one piece Brazilian Rosewood. .. and the 3 effects mentioned above.

"Santana's guitar necks and fretboards are constructed out of a single solid piece of Brazilian Rosewood,[6] instead of the more traditional mahogany neck/Indian rosewood fretboard combination found in stock Santana models and other PRS guitars.[7] The Brazilian Rosewood helps create the smooth, singing, glass-like tone that he is famous for."

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

50+ year old seasoned fingers, a great life attitude and experiences galore, great amps, handmade PRS guitars, mojo and lots of knowledge and talent!!!

6. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Don't forget his guitars have a 'sweet' switch, which simulates 50ft of cable. No true bypass there!

7. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Check out TGP's Galo's postings ....

8. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

How do I get a great life attitude?

GAD

Serious Poo, Blues Wail and Riffa like this.
  9. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I'm getting a boutique big muff clone with a flat mids option soon. Should get me closer to carlos territory. More of the old school stuff, not the new stuff with the dumble "chirp."

10. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

find 2 pretty decent songs by other people, add some congas, make sure your initial audience is pretty whacked on lots of acid (preferably in a festival setting), make sure you've got one really kick ass guitar solo that will fit in any of your songs, and riiiiiiiiiiide the wave

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Just about any of my Muff style fuzzes can pull it off...
    Did he ever use a Muff? Muff can get very close. Is a Big Muff the ultimate "Dumble in a box"?!

12. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I know this is kinda OT, but anyone know what those cables that Carlos uses are? They're those thin-ish brown and purple ones... I've always been curious...

[​IMG]

14. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Yo ... be nice ....

Them are fighting words to my Latino percussionist buddies ... :BluesBros

15. CarlosJesena

CarlosJesena Member

He uses a tubescreamer into his mesa, right? I don't think he uses any of those. Besides his tone is darker and fatter, and doesn't really have that dumble "chirp"

16. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I think for the classic Carlos tones of Santana albums 1 through 4 the much maligned and often resold Boss DS-1 does a pretty good job. With the right amp, something Fenderish for example, the DS-1 can actually pull a lead sound akin to an early Boogie. I know in the earlier days Carlos used a Big Muff. Boogies started to enter the picture around the Abraxus period (apparently); but those would have been the very early models that were built from Fender Princetons.

MIM#1 likes this.
  17. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GAD [​IMG]
    How do I get a great life attitude?

GAD

Start off early by have a smoking hot guitarist in your band that plays a lot great solos and make sure he doesn't get credit for them.
    Then later in life when things are looking grim, get a couple of hot up & coming young artists to let you play your old, tired, overly distorted guitar licks all over their radio hits.

Phase45child and Balok like this.
  18. shakti

shakti Member

:jo

Yawn. This criticism is both unfounded and stupid.

I assume you're talking about Neal Schon - he played on exactly 2 1/2 Santana albums - III, Live! w/Buddy Miles and some tracks on Caravanserai.

If you don't recognize Carlos' abilities, then you just don't want to see them. There's sooo much good stuff if you only care to dig in a little.

ogguitar and Blues Wail like this.
  19. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

i think he uses a zendrive too...

20. Franktone

Franktone Member

Carlos has always had incredible timing, beautiful sound, and puts together a great band. He is a survivor, and sounds fresh today. He can still teach us about music. Neal Schon got a good start with Carlos.

Blues Wail and Lucidology like this.