Carlsen Turbpup Anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratlad, Jun 12, 2008.

1. stratlad

stratlad Member

I read about this boutique amp several years ago in GP. Sounded like a very cool amp but I've never seen one and I assume they are no longer being made. Anyone own or play one? Are they still around?

2. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

They were built by Mark Norwine, who hangs out here from time to time, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think they've been available new for at least a few years, but from what I understand, it's definitely worth watching eBay for one.

edit - Mark actually posted today:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=404243

3. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I used to have a Turbo Pup and foolishly sold it. That immediately started my quest for a replacement. Ran across this even rarer variant a while back and nabbed it fora great deal.

My Carlson Tremo Pup

[​IMG]

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I was always curious about these. From what I remember, they are supposed to stay pretty clean when turned up. Probably a good amp for pedals.

Mark was talking about building some more a year or two ago, but I'm not sure what came of that. I didn't have any money at the time.

Bryan

5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

all that's true, I have one and love it yet am considering parting with it because I'm no longer in a situation where I need more than a couple of 35 watt plus amps (38 watts on the Turbo Pup).

They are clean and punchy (EL34s with a SS rectifier), kind of in Fender/Hiwatt territory (say those who've played mine and more Hiwatts than I have).

[​IMG]

The fact that it's so unique and great sounding (it does love pedals) is what keeps me from letting that last string go ....

The TremoPup substituted a trem circuit for the line out IIRC (the line out being of great use for running to a board for PA, etc.)

6. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Jon, does yours have the Weber Cali 10s in it? I've always wondered how those sound in there.

My first Turbo Pup was actually built after Mark closed up shop and by then he had switched to Weber 10F150T speakers. He said the Tremo Pup I got was the only amp he'd built (by request) with alnico speakers, Weber 10A150T

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Great little amps. Reminded me of a cross between a Twin and a Hiwatt, albeit in a much more convenient package. Fabulous cleans, great reverb, grind was tight, but you had to get it loud to get it cookin'... I used an Alessandro attenuator with mine, and it gave it up at much more club-friendly volume levels. It was a LOUD 35 watts...!

Built like a tank, too. And, FWIW, Mark is one of the class acts on this planet!

8. stratlad

stratlad Member

9. 69strat

69strat Member

I have a friend that has one!!!!!!! I think he may want to sell it.. Call me at 631-943-3980... I'll hook you up with him...

10. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Great amp by a great builder. He used what IMHO is a very underrated Weber speaker, the C10V, in some of his amps. Mark, if you're out there tell us about the amps you built. They were highly recommended by a highly respected guitar and amp tech from our area, Bruce Vander Schel (Iowa City, Ia.).

Tom

11. Ipressthebutton

Ipressthebutton Member

I have a Tremo Pup! I don't know if it is standard but Mark built mine with a brown fender type tremolo. I don't know the exact term for it but it is where it pulses the power tubes. Great amp but very heavy.

12. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Mine originally came w/ the Californias, they sounded wonderful though they were heavy... Mark later came to feel that the C10NT (10F150T?), if I have it right, was even a better match (and lighter) and that's what I now have in it.

I loved it before and I love it now, I hate to even consider letting it go but I'm not playing in a band and doubt I will be back to needing what I now have, which is 3 great ~35 watt amps (I mostly use 15 watters or so now).

But the Pup is too unique & cool to let go. Same size as a Deluxe Reverb, though heavy with that big iron that gives you the big tone, and while Dave O is right that you have to get it pretty loud to grind on its own, it does love pedals so it was never hard to get pants-wetting tone at gig volumes (we used medium stage volume, the Pup volume rarely got about 10-11:00 at gigs).

In hindsight, I may wish I had a TremoPup (which came out well after I got my TurboPup) but I'm happy.

cheers,
    Jon

13. stratlad

stratlad Member

Thanks 69 Strat: I'm not looking to buy one (I have too many amps now as it is) but was always intrigued by this amp - never saw one or know anyone who had played one - I was just curious. Thanks though.

14. 69strat

69strat Member

15. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Wow! How did I miss this thread?

Thanks for the kind words, one & all.

To the OP.....Nope, I no longer make them. I stopped production in the end of '03 (has it really been almost 5 years? Time flies!), but I did, indeed, build & sell 3 amps last summer with leftover components. I still have some raw materials, but I really don't see myself making any more amps. Arm-twisting will get you nowhere! (others have tried & failed!)

Someone stated that I built an amp with a "brown trem". Depending on which "brown amp" you mean, that's true......I made a small handful of tremo-pups with bias-modulating trem (Like a brown deluxe, etc.). I never did any with the 6G12(concert amp) pitch-shifting trem. Several others had a cockroach-style. Total number of "Tremo-Pups" was very small.....under 20.

Most amps were "Turbo-Pups", and the first generation had the face-mounted line out. That went away pretty early....I was never 100% satisfied with it [although the GP review gave it a decent marks]. Later TP's had a 3-knob reverb circuit on the faceplate in lieu of the line out.

Speakers:

The earliest amps had Weber Californias. Nice, big, bold sound.

A handful of later amps came with Weber C10V speakers. Big & throaty with defined punch.

The majority came with Weber C10NQ (now 10F150T), a hybrid speaker made with "N" magnetics & coil (1-1/2"), but with "Q" paper (1-1/4"), dinked out to accept the larger 1-1/2" VC. This speaker came about through a conversation I had with Ted Weber one night about developing a speaker with the punch & low end of a n "N" but the articulation of a "Q". It's a very good speaker!

Two amps had the AlNiCo version....P10NQ. Citizen Caine, I believe you own one of them. In fact, my records show that the amp you have was declared (by me) to be the best-sounding amp I ever made. I can't believe Kevin sold it to you.....you won that contest by a landslide. The P10NQ is really sweet.

The last dozen (or so) amps used Eminence speakers. Some had "Copperheads", some had "Rajin Cajuns". The RC's sound awesome. My personal amp has 1 Copperhead + 1 Lil' Buddy.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

mn

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  16. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

And I got a really sweet road case in the deal, too :D

I remember you said you thought it was the best amp you'd built, but I didn't want to seem immodest so I didn't mention it [​IMG]