1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Carlton-esque Humbuckers for a Heritage h-535

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sykofiddle, Jan 18, 2008.

1. sykofiddle

sykofiddle Member

I just purchased a 2002 Heritage H-535 (like a Gibson ES-335) that has stock Schaller pickups in it. They sound a little too muddy, and too mid-rangy for my ear. I'd like something with tighter lows and a little less mid-range. If Larry Carlton had a few beers and relaxed into a blues jam - imagine that tone:cool:. What do you guys suggest for replacement pickups? I don't need to go all the way to Lollars, etc. I'm guessing that Duncan makes something?

2. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

I have Tom Holmes in my 535, but if you don't want to go that far, theres other guys that can get you there. Check out the utube of Tom Holmes pickups and decide if that's what you hear. All builder's takes on PAFs are a little different but for me. If I hadn't gotten the Holmes I would have gone with this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4AJDWEG85c&feature=related

3. Benjy_26

Benjy_26 Member

A pair of covered Duncan 59 bridge models will be the closest production pickup to what's in Carlton's 335.

4. snarkle

snarkle Member

I have Duncan 59s in my 535, and I see no reason to swap them out... they're fine, classic-sounding pickups that somehow manage to combine detail with warmth, and a nice sort of natural "compression", even at lower volumes.

I don't know how to describe it any better than that, but I like the effect, and it's definitely in the Larry Carlton ballpark. Carlton's sound on Joni Mitchell's Hejira LP is one of my tonal benchmarks, and I can get close with this guitar.

5. JohnCovach

JohnCovach Member

I've also got the Duncan 59s with nickel covers in my 535 and they're great.

6. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I am using the Tom Holmes 450/455 in my Heritage 535. They sound Awesome. Great clarity! yet they retain that warm PAF sound as well.
    I also thought those stock Schallers sounded a bit dull as well. Hence I did the switch.
    The Dimarzio PAF would also get my vote. I have used those in some Semi hollows with great results. And they would be about a quarter of the price of the Tom Holmes.
    - Keep in mind you may want to swap out all the electronics in your Heritage. Figure your going in there already. you might as well just do it once and be done. A R@S Historic Kit would be very bennificial addition. Quality 500k pots make pickups come alive with the proper resistance. Get rid of those ceramic disc caps as well. Those things are tone suckers. .022 or .015 Paper in foil is what PAF Humbuckers like best.
    Another major change would be installing a Tonepros bridge system. I did this on my 535 with stunning results. More sustain and clarity!
    I own 3 very wonderful ES 335 gibby's. - I play the Upgraded Heritage 535 alot more!

7. snarkle

snarkle Member

+ 1 on this. The previous owner of my guitar had made this mod, and judging by the non-modified Heritages I've played, it's a crucial upgrade. I bought my 535 as a stopgap until I could get into a vintage 335 or 345, but it does everything I could want from an old Gibson.

8. sykofiddle

sykofiddle Member

where you do you find the R@S Kits? Also, my H-535 already has the upgraded Nashville bridge versus the older bulkier style. Is the Tonepros that much of an upgrade over a standard Nashville?