Carlton on Dumble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RickC, Jan 27, 2006.

1. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

so I was enjoying my newly obtained copy of "Last Nite" ummm... last night (thanks Randy) and that got me curious re Larry and his Dumble. A search led me to his site, and this:

"Carlton's main guitar is the '68 ES-335 he has been playing forever, and his sole amp is a Dumble Super Overdrive 1x12 combo. He rarely uses the amp's overdrive channel. "I may use it on a tune or two, but that's not my favorite part of the amp," he says. Instead, Carlton drives the gain on the Dumble's clean channel so that the amp is singing, and uses a ShoBud volume pedal between the guitar and amp to back down his gain.

An interesting twist in Carlton's rig is that he uses a pair of JBL monitors for his reverb signal. He puts a Shure SM57 in front of his amp and sends the miked signal to a powered Mackie console. Carlton plugs a digital reverb in the board's aux sends and routes an all-wet signal to the JBLs. "This way, the dry sound of my guitar is the only thing coming out of the Dumble, and the only thing coming out of the JBLs is the effect," he says. "It's just like mixing a track in the studio -- the guitar sound is pure, and I can dial in as much of the effected sound as I like, rather than putting the reverb directly into my guitar/amp signal chain."

So he uses his Super Overdrive "clean", and without efx. Anyway, I thought it was interesting. The tone on "Last Nite" may be my favorite example of Dumble on record.

/rick

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

When I had my Two-Rock Topaz, I *only* ran the clean channel. There's a WHOLE LOT of good stuff to be had in there...! :dude

3. macula56

macula56 Member

absolutely. that's a killer tone for sure.

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Great sounding rig for sure....

[​IMG]

5. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Not sure if this is valid today. That's a pretty old post. The new stuff on Firewire sounds like he's discovered how the overdrive works, bigtime. Tomo played me a snippet at namm, and his tone sounds great, albeit sounding alot like Scottl.

6. Randy

Randy Member

Glad you got the disc OK!

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I took those photos during the Sapphire Blue tour, mid '04. I thought it sounded like he was using the OD channel back then as well. Here are a couple more shots....you can see his settings and you see the footswitch for the Dumble. (The second head is just a backup, BTW.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

One of the Dumbles I've played had an incredible amount of gain on the clean channel.

9. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

Larry's tone on "Last NIte" has always been one of my all time favorites. If I could only play that good.

10. aeolian

aeolian Member

On the Carlton video about the time of Last Nite he shows his rig. He's got the parametric eq and a 2290 in there. Not exactly a red light and a wire. I did see him at an open air concert in Mountain View several years ago in the midst of the smooth jazz bit. And he was getting this horrible fuzz tone sound at times. I thought he had a RAT or something up there. Maybe it was a badly adjusted OD channel.

The interesting thing is that the gain settings shown here are almost exactly the same as Robben's. Reverse the tone settings, bass and mid up with treble down. When I saw the Saphire tour come though Yoshi's, he had the deep switch off, same as Robben. One would think these are the sweet spot settings for the amp, and doesn't explain why the OD channel wasn't successful before. Maybe he had the input gain dimed before, I hadn't noticed as I knew nothing about the amps back then.

11. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Yeah, theres a CD I have Harbor Lights (?) (or something like that), from some Canadian Jazz festival where his tone seriously sounds like there's something very wrong with his rig. Maybe this was part of the same tour. Hoping to catch Robben and Larry together sometime this year. So far only the Long Island gig has been announced, but surely theres gotta be some NYC or NJ stuff in the works (and stop calling me Shirley). I'll be watching the knobs there for sure....maybe I'll borrow my kid's telephoto lens.

12. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I love Larry. When I saw him mid to late 90's, it was 3 1x12's and the dumble. Last time he was around here, he was playing a twin. Go figure.

13. blueclay

blueclay Member

how can I hear Carlton on the dumble amp you all are talking 'bout
    2 of my favorite things great tone and Carlton
    blueclay and robben as well

14. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i never really understood the clean channel super-smooth sustain thing until i recently got to play out with my opal and turn everything up. beautiful.

15. Robertito

Robertito Member

Last time I heard him live, Larry was using a Boss Blues Driver. What a lousy tone! At least he hardly used it, and the rest of the time, his tone was magnificent.

16. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    As RickC and ToneKing mentioned, the Carlton album "Last Nite" is the one to get to hear the best recorded Dumble tone.

The cd is out of print, though, so it may take some hunting to find a copy.

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Exactly how I use my K&M LTD. Clean gain about 3 o'clock. Lead gain about 9 o'clock - the lead I use just for a little more saturation. And the bypass/boost I call a "2nd lead tone". But having the clean channel that high on the gain control results in a very 'touch-sensitive' quality that cover 95% of my tone requirements for my playing.

;)

18. tedjac

tedjac Guest

For all of you Larry fans... if you happen to also be Robben Ford fans and happen to be able to get to Long Island (NY) on March 17... they are playing together. I don't know if this is the first time they've jammed together or what... but I'm gonna try to get there. To see two of my favorites the same night and possibly (hopefully) on stage together at the same time is too much to pass up!

19. marinblues

marinblues Member

You can find the video footage of "Last Nite" in Larry's first instructional video.
    He's playing a Valley art strat with EMGs and there are several inches of racked effect below the Dumble. He explains his effect chain in the video.

It's a bit more complex that the rig he uses today.

M.

20. val

val Member

Hey guys,
    You can buy "Last Nite" on Napster, 6 tracks @ $.99 each.
    I did, yesterday... Killer tones! wow