Carly Rae Jepsen

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Ampedusa, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Maybe he had to learn "Call Me Maybe" for a female fronted coverband like I did? Maybe he thinks she's hotter than Bruce Dickinson?

2. PRW

PRW Member

There is nothing ... NOTHING ... wrong with well-crafted pop music.

Sometimes you don't want to think, you don't want to marvel at musical exploration, you don't want to go where no man has ever gone before, you just want to have your ears entertained.

In the words of Warren Oates, a great American and actor, in "Stripes," lighten up Francis.

3. Dasein

Dasein Member

Bruce had nicer hair.

4. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

The first song is really good - I like the composition, the arrangement, the sounds used, the choices in harmonies, the production.

Sounds great in headphones.

5. Dasein

Dasein Member

You presume facts not in evidence.... (if you’re talking to me). I’ve stated what my curiousities are - there’s no specific bias in the question or judgement - I’m just interested in the process of how “interest” is captured by the labels... I mean the OP posted 5 videos.... i think in the spirit of pay to play he could elaborate on how his interest was acquired/developed for CRJ

6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

And tighter pants!

7. PRW

PRW Member

Wasn't aiming at anything or anyone in particular.

For my own part when it comes to pop music, I hear something and it becomes an earworm.

My own guilty pleasure pop-wise is Katy Perry. I just like the records. Nothing more or less.

8. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

i always liked this vid of her big hit:

when Biebs and Gomez were still friends....and 76 million views!

wstsidela likes this.
  9. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

I don't know what to tell you dude. Couldn't tell you specifically when I first heard her. Nor do I care. You do seem to think only wife's and 16 yo girls listen to her though, which to me sounds condescending. Does she challenge your manhood somehow? I like Billie Eilish too. Couldn't tell you when or where I first heard her either. :aok

10. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I thought it was her:

11. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

sort of related, I just love Christina Aguilera's Genie in a Bottle:

I would also call Carly Rae, but I'd be sure to ask her not to hurt me, and explain that Thai phrase.

I'd also tell her what Jack Daw-Sun (Dawson) means in Thai, after we got to the part of the relationship where I can tell jokes.

13. Dasein

Dasein Member

Uh --- dude -- YOU just started a thread called "Carly Rae Jepsen" and posted 5 of her videos on TGP of all places - so as it relates to Carly Rae I think we can all conclude you do care about something related to her. And my point again is - I have no idea how a (unassumingly) middle aged dude from Austin Texas (who I last remember posted a video of Eric Johnson playing Zap) gets exposed to and develops a taste for Carly Rae Jepson -- that's why I asked you. She a hometown girl for me - and a product of Chad Kroeger and a lot of my other local contemporaries including her father - there was a lot behind her.... and Call Me Maybe broke huge -- in fact it's the most performed song in SOCAN history (The Canadian version of BMI/ASCAP -an organization I as a songwriter and musician belong to). So when I ask you how did you develop such an interest in CRJ - how you were exposed to her beyond that one single (enough so to come here and post 5 videos) it's genuine curiosity.

You could have said anything - like you listen to top 40 pop radio in the car - or that you have a 12 year old son who loves her - or you have a specific interest in teen and post teen pop princesses, or that you found CMM so compelling it made you dig deep into her catalogue to see what else she's done. I'm interested - it's called engagement - that's why you posted the thread no? the purpose of show & tell - here's something I like....? That you are defensive about it and cagey - that's your baggage - I asked the question out of genuine interest. You could ask me about any band or musician I've been exposed to and actually have an interest in and I'd easily be able to tell you - especially if I posted a thread about them and shared a bunch of music.... I'm not trying to set you up -- I just have no idea how a guy from Austin would know enough about her after CMM to name 5 other songs.

If you don't want to share that's cool - but don't make out like I'm trying to trick you or that I'm throwing shade. Her demographic appeal is/was young teens (particularly girls) - you do not fit that demographic so that's why I'm asking. It's perfectly legitimate to assume your exposure came from the side (i.e. - related to your connection to a member of her demographic - ie some girl/woman in your life).

I won't hassle you any more - but Gee-wiz -- it's not like you are shy - you've got 5000+ posts & you started the thread....

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  14. PRW

PRW Member

For what it's worth, my affinity for folks like Katy Perry ... and yes, I also like Carly Rae Jepsen and Meghan Trainor ... is that one of my musical passions, I mean I'm an absolute fiend for this genre, can't get enough of it, is the girl groups of the 1960s. Some of this music IMO is today's equivalent to girl groups.

15. slybird

slybird Member

I sometimes wonder how this works. You have an artist like Jepsen, has one mostly self written album that doesn't do much, then wham, next album has powerhouse songwriters like Max Martin, Bonnie McKee, and Josh Abraham on board. How is this? I mean who is making this decision to pull this together? Certainly Jepsen to some degree, but there must be more to it than that.

16. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

Somebody with a lot of money and/or a lot of pull heard the first album, and figured she was worth the investment.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  17. Dasein

Dasein Member

She was well connected - very well connected.

Frater B likes this.
  18. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

19. Frater B

Frater B Silver Supporting Member

And then the Bieb tweeted the song.

20. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

Ah, "Call me maybe".

Another great pop tune from the pen (the co-writer) and production of Josh Ramsay, very well performed by CRJ.

If you dig that, check out Josh's band Marianas Trench. Another treasure trove of great pop tunes. (And he's Canadian too! So, at the very least, you know he's polite.)