carmen ghia 2x10 or 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joolzriff, Feb 20, 2008.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

pros and cons gentlemen between the 2x10 and 1x12 combo.....whats the deal w/ the tones

2. gregc

gregc Member

I don't like 2x10s, though YMMV.......

3. cameron

cameron Member

Look for threads about 1x12" vs. 2x10" in general. There's really nothing Ghia-specific to be added to the debates.

4. Peppy

Peppy Member

Z makes those 2 X 10"s pretty damned fat and full.

5. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Owned both........the 2x10 was MUCH better.....smoother, more wallup also........1x12 was very bright.

6. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

I have a Carmen Ghia head. I am very pleased with the sounds I get with it and a 1x12 Bogner cube.

7. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Julian, given your past likes and styles, I say steer clear of the 10"'s. I like 10's just fine and love playing them, but when it comes to the band I don't. Simply put I like the punch a 10 gets, but like the umph of the lows a 12 better. Hell, get a head and have a cab made with one of each!

8. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Tough call, I have both a Carmen Ghia 210 and a Carmen Ghia head that I run into either a 1-12" Thiele cab loaded with a EVM12L or a CAA 1-12 Cube loaded with a Celestion Alnico Blue. Both combinations are excellent. I found the 210 to be more in your face and a little more articulate. The 1-12" are a little warmer, especially the Alnico Blue.

TheGrooveking

9. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Disagree here. The Z 10's are a different animal. And he makes his combos to sound BIG. To me, the ghia 2x10 combo didnt sound that much different than a head and 2x12 cab. Slightly tighter bass and mids, but that was it. YMMV yadda yadda, but I have really picky ears and the Z 2x10s sound huge. The ghia is a great amp.