Carmen Ghia combo or Princeton Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mike R., Jan 25, 2008.

1. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

If you could choose and why.....

2. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Horses for courses, but, that being said:

Princeton Reverb.

Why:

- More versatile
    - Lighter
    - I vastly preferred the tone of my '68 PR to the 2-10 CG I owned.
    - You can mod a PR to hold its own with a DR, and it's still a fantastic recording amp. I found the CG to be better at serious volume -- and it's a LOUD amp, showing again that the relationship between watts & perceived volume isn't as clearcut as we often assume.
    - PR has trem & verb, and very nice examples of same.

I mainly played a Jazzmaster, Teles, and P-90 loaded guitars through both amps, generally preferring a clean to edge of breakup sound.

No doubt others will feel differently, but that was my experience.

3. myles111

myles111 Member

4. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

Ghia 1X12 combo with an Alnico Blue. Takes OD and Time based effects in the front end better than any amp I've ever owned, including my 65amps London, Soho, Dr.Z Route 66, Z-28 and Maz Sr. Touch sensitivity and dynamics are just as good as my London at a fraction of the cost. Sounds killer thru any cab I've plugged it into. Simple, no B.S. amp that you just PLAY. Good luck!!!!

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

It depends on what you want to play, how you want to sound, and how many "accessory" pedals you want to use.....those are very different amps. I prefer the PR by a wide margin, but that's me. The CG is much more of a one-trick type of amp IMHO, but if that's what you do most, there's your choice.

6. bc-cosmo

bc-cosmo Member

I have both--a 68 SFPR (thanks crazyquilt!) and a CG head plus cab with 1x12 Alnico Blue--and feel like I need both for different tones. BTW, they sound great in stereo!

With all that said, if I had to only have one, I would go with the Princeton, partly because of the reverb, partly because the Fender tone is so basic and versatile for the kind of music I play. Both great choices though.

7. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

I got tired of the clean sound of the Ghia I owned. No knock on the product. Just giving my own personal 2 cents.

I've not gotten tired of my PR reverb clean sound.

Gained up they are totally different. Can't be compared.

Both great amps!

8. sideman

sideman Member

Can't be compared? Everything can be compared. I had a 1x12 Carmen Ghia combo for a year or so. It has very warm, robust tones. Fat sounding. British. Not alot of cut or power on stage with a band. But at home or quieter gigs, like jazz gigs or unplugged gigs, it shone. You know the Dr. Z aesthetics -- clean lines and chassis, few controls. Nice package. The PR, if it's like its brethren, is going to be more scooped sounding, with more cut, more highs, and, of course, with reverb. Looks like most Fenders look.

9. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

ghia + boost pedal + 4x12 closed back straight front cab with greenbacks....low volume magic

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

They're 2 different animals....One isn't better than the other...being a lead guitarist, I'd choose the Z....singy little screamer....,,,great voxy rhythum tones as well....It's a great amp....If you want sort of a channel switching version of the Ghia, try out a Budda SD-18...I just picked one up....Great tones, and very versatile...2 channels..FX loop...light weight...wicked overdrive,,,no pedals needed

11. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I don't get why a scooped sounding amp with a 10' speaker can cut better than a Ghia on stage.

12. cameron

cameron Member

It can't. With equivalent speakers a Ghia's going to be much more present on stage than a Princeton.

People mod Princetons to make them as loud and powerful as a Deluxe. A Ghia is as powerful as a Deluxe from the get-go, and it seems louder (I think the larger transformers make it sound bigger).

A Ghia is a much more versatile amp than a Princeton. The only advantage the Princeton has is reverb, which I know some people can't live without.

13. inaplacefaraway

inaplacefaraway Supporting Member

I've owned both for five years. Each are very different from one another. If the Princeton did not have reverb I would have sold it. I wish the princeton had a bigger cabinet with a 12" speaker. A Fender Deluxe size but The same channel (1) and circuit. The ghia can be many things with a rectifier and speaker changes. I'm leaning towards another Z in a more Fender camp. Z workman ship is way beyond any current fender reissue.

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Check out a Dr Z Galaxie..it’s a Tweed Bandmaster Type.. great tones that are kinda between your Princeton and Ghia, which are 2 different animals amp wise

15. BSOD

BSOD Supporting Member

I’d honestly go Ghia if you won’t miss the tremolo.

I see people bringing up the Verb, but if you buy a topanga or spring theory, you’ll be very happy