Carol Ann Amps MK XII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MCK, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCK

MCK Member

New thread for another thousand posts. May we have a pleasant journey as always...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. B-Squared

B-Squared Member

As we prepare for departure, please bring your flight attendants back to the full upright position, ensure your seatbealts are fastened, and your tray-table is stowed.

Enjoy the ride!

:D

3. venivici

venivici Member

Ok... to continue my questions from the last CA thread. I know the whole cab/speaker discussion has prob been beat to death. I have tried to skim/search through as many of the past posts as I could, but though I might as well post about it.

For my incoming OD2r, I am debating between the new eminence EJ,Celestion Gold Alnico, and Jensen Jet Blackbird. As far as cabs, I still have a lot of questions. Thinking Port City, or Forte, or what other options? I would prefer to get a cab that doesn't have a 10-12 week wait.

4. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

Your question regarding cabs....the build and design of the Forte 1x12 cabinet is very very good. The cabinets are beautifuly put together. In all honesty I find that the Stone Age cabs are a better match to the CA's. I prefer a more open sounding and I find the Stone Age to be just that. With a OD2r, I would either go with an EVM12L or a Jensen Blackbird into a Stone Age OS1x12.....you can't miss with that.

5. venivici

venivici Member

Not that I am doubting it, but what is it about the Stone Age cabs that matches so well with the OD2r, just trying to understand. Part of the deal with stone age is that I don't really want to wait 2-3 months for a cab. Am I being impatient, sure :)

6. Mikeroesoft

Trial and error my friend. I have tried several different cabs and I find the Stone Age to be a great quality, great sounding cab. I am sure they work just as well with other amps as they do with CA's.

7. venivici

venivici Member

Got it. Thanks.

8. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

9. wishkahdaddy

wishkahdaddy Member

Or did you mean, "Prescribed"???

10. LesMesa

LesMesa Member

I'll second this question but for the Tuc2. Do Tuc2 owners find it likes the same speakers/cabs as the OD line or are there other favorites?

11. Siroco

Siroco Member

May MK XII bring lots of pics and clips...

...Somehow I get the feeling this is gonna be a "Trippy" thread thematically.

12. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

Trippy? No tie-dye t-shirts or acid clips from me.....not anymore......:messedup

Just joking, of course, but yeah, when I get past my busy period here, some Trippy clips are sure to follow.

13. venivici

venivici Member

Anybody ever done a 2x10 cab with an OD2r?

14. MCK

MCK Member

I tried EVM10L with some good success at lower volume compared to EVM12L. Still quite heavy though

15. venivici

venivici Member

Interesting. How much did the 10 change the voice/eq of the amp?

16. MCK

MCK Member

Lost just a little low end but amp EQ was more than able to compensate. I put the EVM10L into a Thiele cab using a baffle adapter and that also seemed to work well. EVM10L looks very similar in construction to EVM12L. Looks like the same magnet, coil etc. Just smaller basket & cone. I love it. Hard to find though.

17. dscuyamungue

dscuyamungue Supporting Member

Tried the Port City OS 2x12 and didn't like it at all, no definition, didn't handle the bass very well, the amp and speakers were too much for it.... I then tried an Avatar 2x12 I had on hand, it's an older one with the carpet type covering, very sturdy, with a Scolz Classic and Jensen Blackbird it sounds great. Another excellent choice is the Forte 3D line of cabs, I've got a 1x12 (with another on order) for a w/d/w setup... the Avatar will be the dry, the two Fortes will be the wets. One day I may go after one of the 3D 2x12s, I'll bet they shine!

18. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

I run my OD2 through a Port City 1x12 with a Blackbird and it's fantastic. Went that route at Alan's suggestion and it's a fantastic little rig. I would imagine the right speakers in the 2x12 would work as well....

19. dscuyamungue

dscuyamungue Supporting Member

I had an EVM12L and a Classic Lead 80 loaded, two of the desired OD2r speakers, and it was a disaster. IIRC, Alan either did not like the OS 212 cab or the EVM12L in that cab,,, probably the latter.

20. Mikeroesoft

Thats why I say trial and error. What works for one doesnt always work for the other!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.