Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratovarius, Dec 7, 2014.

1. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Supporting Member

Congrats

pete12string likes this.
  2. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Supporting Member

I love this place; y'alls are a bunch of

[​IMG]

:rotflmao

3. tweedphan

tweedphan Member

Let us know all about it when you’ve played through it, although I’m sure you will. Mine had Chinese preamp valves, JJ power and rectifier valves. Be interested in what yours has. Have swapped preamp valves around a bit as the originals went microphonic. I’ve gigged mine twice plus band practices. Great amp, and cleans up at pub gigs.

pete12string and eigentone like this.
  4. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Thanks for the info! I’ll probably replace those preamp tubes. I’ve got a small collection I can try. Maybe swap the JJ rectifier too.
    It has to come across country so it’ll take a while to get here but you can be sure I will give my feedback once I take it around the block a few times.

saltydogg and tweedphan like this.
  5. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Nice. Did you buy your amp new, and if so, have you noticed a difference as the speaker has broken-in? Thx

6. tweedphan

tweedphan Member

Amp was new from Humbucker Music and I’m not sure if speaker has fully broken in yet. So far three band practices plus two gigs so about 15 to 16 hours use. First time at band practice there was a high pitched whine with volume at 10, both channels. Gigged OK though but a tiny room so volume at 4/5. Then at home ran it at 10 - microphonic noise so took it to amp tech. Tube sockets were loose on preamp valves, changed to JJ’s which he stocks. So far I’ve tried TAD and Shuagang and still experimenting. Will report further in due course !!

pete12string likes this.
  7. pete12string

Where the sockets themselves loose or where the tubes loose in the sockets?

8. tweedphan

tweedphan Member

Unfortunately both. Presumably in shipping.

pete12string likes this.
  9. pete12string

Wow, I wouldn't expect that on a brand new amp. Was it just a matter of tightening the screws that hold the sockets in? Or were they loose where the tube pins go in?

10. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

Anyone noticing a devaluation of the Carol-Ann brand, recently?

It seems that folks are asking less and less for their Carol-Anns used. I don’t know if it is because Alan stepped back, or that these folks are trying to move stuff quick, or simply that this is the new market for these amps. When I see a Tucana 3 at $1650 (an amp that costs as much or more than some of the best Bogners, Diezels, and Friedmans), it makes me wonder. I’m not complaining, but rather asking if you folks think this is the new normal, or just an indicator of where things are now?

pete12string likes this.
  11. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Agree, I've been watching these go down over the last year or so as well. Typically the used value should rise when a builder can't keep up with demand or otherwise has availability issues...but the same could be said on a slew of other stuff i.e pedals, guitars etc. I believe market saturation may play a big part. Unless it's quite unique, you may end up giving it away. Never thought I'd see a Tucana go that cheap this soon.

In Absentia and pete12string like this.
  12. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

The problem is there is an over abundance of middlin', mediocre used amps for sale....everywhere.
    So the guys that simply don't see the added value of a Carol Ann or other high-end amps...they are not going to drop the extra $$ on them, and so the sellers often end up having to nock the prices down in order to move them.

I mean, look at how long Humbucker has been trying to sell of their stuff at really great prices.
    Carol Ann amps are still often mentioned in the same breath with a handful of other top-of-line amps, by people who know...but your average weekend warrior is going to balk at dropping $2k-$3k or more on them...especially when there are so many cheaper amps to pick from.

Also, some of the used CAs may very well be on their 3rd or 4th sale...and usually each seller will take the price down a bit based on what they paid for.

Of course, at the end of the day, what amps sell for only matter if you are buying amps as some future investment sell off. I don't buy amps because I'm planning to sell them, and where I need to be aware of the market at all times.
    Buy the amp because that's the one you want...and don't worry about what it's going to sell for in 2-3 years, etc.
    If you want to maintain selling value...then just buy the amps that the general public clamors for the most...but I doubt they will be the top amps, and Carol Ann is most certainly not a well known brand to the middlin' crowd...but then, those are the same people who are endlessly turning over cheaper amps, never quite finding what they want.

Anyway...that's my perspective, for what it's worth.
    I have paid little to no attention at what the going prices are overall on CAs...I only take note of the occasional model that is somewhat interesting to me.
    The other thing...if you buy a high-end amp, and then turn around and look to sell it almost immediately, before you've even had the chance to enjoy it for awhile...you will probably take a loss, and it will feel like a waste to some degree...but sometimes we buy something and it just doesn't fit our needs like we expected...and you just want to unload it and then get the thing that does.

I bought one guitar this winter that had me scratching my head the day it arrived. Nice guitar, but I bought it on the spur of the moment because it has this really great golden amber flame top finish...but I just didn't really need it and it's been sitting in its case for 3 months now.
    I will probably sell it and take some loss on it...without ever really getting any use out it.

13. pete12string

Part of the lower prices may be due to people who bought one at the discount, “blow out” prices and decided to move it along after trying it out - and basing their selling price off of the discount price they paid instead of the “original” price.

Miroslav L likes this.
  14. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Can’t wait to hear your impressions, Humbucker has two heads remaining ...

pete12string likes this.
  15. In Absentia

That’s a great point. This is great if you want to buy a CA. Not so much if you want to sell it.

Everyone that I’ve tried to sell the Triptik 2 to references Alan stepping away. I think they’re jumping the gun, because I don’t think Alan is done. Or if he is, it seems silly to show off his new shop, lol.

eigentone, pete12string and DiPa like this.
  16. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Yeah he posted his new shop and is feeling great lately...

In Absentia and pete12string like this.
  17. pete12string

I believe Carol-Ann amps will continue to be built, just not at the pace/numbers that they have been in the past. I expect to see more of an on-demand build process. As far as prices go for a new Carol-Ann in the future, who knows...

18. In Absentia

I think the relative scarcity will drive prices up. But, I’m also not a very good predictor of the future, lol.

19. pete12string

Looks like they still have 4 combos left. They’re taking a while to sell. You’ll certainly get a review from me and I’ll try to do some sound clips as well.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  20. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

So I'm curious...what do they mean, what do they say?

So like when a builder of boutique amps dies unexpectedly...those amps quickly double and quadruple in price, and everyone is scurrying to grab one before the prices get too crazy...
    ...but if a builder says he's cutting back from full-time production, but will still be building part-time...that somehow is a "negative" and chases people away from that brand....huh??? :confused:
    Honestly, it's nonsense, and IMO, those people simply don't know what they want.

For starters, most CA amps will probably outlast their owners, and the ones that need repair, well, Alan is still around...:)... and even if he stopped repairing, it would be no different than the amps from other builders who have moved on or passed away...there are always techs who can work the amp for you.

I just don't get what exactly about Alan's amp building situation would make people concerned/afraid about buying a CA...? What...'cuz he had a few months downtime...?
    Really...:rolleyes:

You probably wouldn't even want to sell your Triptik to those guys.