Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratovarius, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

What's an original Marshall sound like?
    I mean, which vintage Marshall exactly, and at which knob settings...?...not to mention, they all have some differences, and probably don't sound like they did when they were brand new.

2. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

:rolleyes:
    I mean does it sound like an OD2R or does it sound like the Marshall 1974 that Alan supposedly modeled it off of. One reason I ask is because your demo of the 67-50H did (to my ears) remind me of that “Carol-Ann tone” a bit.
    ;)

3. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Well...the combo is an EL84 amp, which will compress sooner, and I'm sure there's other variation in the circuit compared to the 67-50...so I don't think they will sound the same. They are different platforms.

That said...I have an OD2r, TX-50 and Revo...and IMO, the 67-50 doesn't sound like them to me.
    I think what you are hearing is the same thing I was talking about when I mentioned Greg V...you're just hearing me, and I will probably sound similar on 2-3 different amps.
    I probably dial in a tone that I like, and that kinda transcends the amp differences.
    I'm sure if I play some of my Fender-ish amps, it would be more dramatically different...but hey, the OD baseline sound was/is based on...a Marshall...so that's going to be in there if you want to dial it in on most of Alan's amps to some degree. I can get Marshall-like tones on the OD2r...but I still hear a noticeable difference between it and the 67-50.

pete12string likes this.
  4. fatbagg

fatbagg Supporting Member

Sorry to break the conversation here, but I could use some direction. I’m looking to go for one final amp, and I want to try Carol-Ann again. I am looking at Triptik 2 or Tucana 3, maybe the texas. The ‘middle channel’ is a bonus, but I’m looking for good cleans, which I know they have, and a specific lead tone. Smoother top end, strong midrange, not TOO tight, I like a bit of sag. I do not play metal, but do use a lot of gain for even my own blues/rock/instrumental stuff.
    Can someone detail the tonal personalities of these two amps, unless people think a different CA would do?

My concern is this; I owned the original Tucana and OD. I found the Tucana to have an aggressive treble, and both amps seemed overall dry and on the fizzy side of camp, and stiff. I’m told that isn’t the case, so who knows. Everyone says they are quite the opposite. I’m currently running a rig with a Diezel Herbert and Cornford mk50, but enjoy the 101b as well! Any help would be great! I keep hearing the Triptik 2 will do the job, but there is so little about them around and online.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  5. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Maybe you want just one of the "standard" OD amps...currently OD2 Ultra or OD3 Ultra...but there are probably still some previous version OD2 and OD3 amps around, if you are looking at brand new.
    With the Ultra models, you will have all the latest improvements and features, plus the AutoBiasMon circuit.
    The older ODs, even if you finds some leftover new ones, are more basic.

I think that is where the slightly "looser/creamier" tones reside...but I've never tried the Trip or Tuc amps, so I can't say for sure.
    The Texas 50 you would have to find used...and IMO, it's got some nice smoky Blues tones, and with the HF filter, you can dial the upper end how you like, plus you have the mid-boost, which sounds really good with single coils...and then to top it off, the cleans are great and have the adjustable B/M/T tone stack.
    There's a used one on Reverb...it's the #1 T-50. He's asking a bit much for it, IMO, probably because it's the #1.

6. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

My Louis Electric arrived...and FedEx did a pretty good job packing. It wasn't really a double box...but they put a bunch of thick foam pillows under and around the amp, along with paper fill...so it was well protected, but IMO, the box was way oversized for the amp, and could have been smaller, though I guess they have set sizes and that's it.
    So hopefully the FedEx office that packed yours follows the same approach.

pete12string likes this.
  7. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

The Triptik 2 has sag of if you roll the input gain down a bit. That’s a magic knob on this amp. It changes the whole character of the gain.

8. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Let's not forget Alan still does upgrades, least the website still tells me. Many of the older versions can be upgraded.

pete12string likes this.
  9. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I'm like you - pack stuff that could withstand a nuclear blast. When I heard FedEx was packaging, all I could think of was the amp dumped in a box filled with packing peanuts!!! I'm glad to hear that's not the case. Thanks for the update!
    Looking forward to hearing your impressions of that LE Bluesbreaker! Congrats again!

10. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

....I feel your pain

pete12string likes this.
  11. fatbagg

How does the Tucana 3 compare with the OD or Triptik?
    There is almost zero good video of the Triptik, but there are a few of the Tucana. To my ears, the OD3 sounds the fattest and boldest based on clips, but am worried of it not being smooth enough. I have a Shiba Drive, so I could boost whichever.

12. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

The OD series will be the smoothest.

13. glenngross

glenngross Supporting Member

FWIW, the TX25 head on Reverb has a 15% reduction in asking price until the 18th. No affiliation...

fatbagg likes this.
  14. fatbagg

The OD3 would be smoother than Triptik 2and Tucana 3? How much gain is available?

I had the original od2 9 years ago and didn’t find it smooth, but that could have been the shorty store speaker I was playing on in conjunction with bad bias, or who knows.

Is there a way to get in contact with the company/Alan? The number of the Facebook doesn’t seem to work, and email has proven non effective.

15. fatbagg

How are they?

16. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I'd also like to know how to get ahold of him, phone messages, several emails... no response.

17. In Absentia

The smoothest the Triptik 2 will get is shown fairly well on the Austin Guitar House vids, though I don’t much care for the tone in those.

fatbagg likes this.
  18. fatbagg

I talked to the guys at Austin Guitar a moment ago, the two I spoke with really believed that the Tucana 3 would get me the best high gain smooth tone ovEr the Triptik.

19. In Absentia

Guys, Alan is on a break right now. He said it would be a few months before he resumed. He is still performing warranty work, but no new orders or anything until he has had some time away.

trower likes this.
  20. In Absentia

They are probably correct. I can do smooth on the Trip, but the Tuc3 will be smoother.

fatbagg likes this.