Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratovarius, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

Agreed, I must say this was done totally with my knowledge and approval. Thats normal on a product line replacement to make room for the new. When a Dealer reduce prices they cut their own margin not mine and given it was hardly going to affect my livelihood anymore, either way, I had no issues.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    davidespinosa likes this.
  2. BelgPJ

BelgPJ Member

Very happy to have found my CA home a few years ago. And to have bought, and appreciate, the CA's I have in my arsenal. Nothing comes close for build quality and tone IMHO. As to value for money, I bought 5 new, and was happy to pay retail to support you. Sadly, your UK distributor fits your description of "dealers" to a tee, and did little to build the CA brand here. The amp market is difficult, both new and used, for anything over £700'ish here in Europe. Some outstanding amps selling for stupid money just to realise cash for sellers, most of whom are taking serious losses on higher end gear

Hope you can get back to playing, and enjoying building custom amps soon mate - your amps are outstanding, and the world needs more builders like you

3. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

@Carol-AnnAmps

Oh man! Same here. I love my Revo-1. I've definitely got a Satin in my sights too.

FWIW...running a business is a constant exercise in dealing with adversity. My take is that your more of the engineering type and your work product is your art. The world needs people like you with those talents and your amplifiers speak for themselves. You seem like a prime candidate for having a business partner or two so you can do the stuff you do really well and they can do the stuff that both you don't want to do and that they can do well. Lots of successful businesses will have a product guy, sales guy and finance guy. That's a little simplified but the idea is a small team people that can divide up the work and do what they do best. It's easier said that done to find the right people but it can make a huge difference.

Ape2000 and Carol-AnnAmps like this.
  4. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

I bought 2 CA Amps this year, totally impressed, and your ideas if it can get CA back building are great. CA Amps are the bomb, I got 2 new ones this year and I am glad i was not too late to the party. Very fine amps and absolutely sad to see the momentum of CA reduced.

Carol-AnnAmps and tweedphan like this.
  5. Carol-AnnAmps

While the Trip-R works great for many people, including my own Brother-in-Law, I never gelled with it as much when gigging vs the Triptik and honestly the Trip2 blows them both right out of the water. Take that how you want, but its meant in the same way as saying you prefer one Porsche vs another or one Ferrari vs another. None are bad, just different. That's simply a style and taste thing. I dropped it when the Trip2 came out. I find it difficult to promote an amp that I don't personally gel with as much. Again, its not a dog in the range AT ALL, it just never really fit for me because the OD2r and OD3r were more suited to the cathode biased output vs a harder rock amp like the Trip-R IMHO. I built it as a model by request originally.

Ape2000 likes this.
  6. Carol-AnnAmps

Honestly, that's pretty much the deal. I had forgotten some of this, but oh boy I had some massive headaches with those cabs. It was right when the cab builder I used at the time was going through some disastrous quality issues that affected many of us in this business. I moved to another eventually. Both the chassis and cab were coming from the same place and the chassis didn't even fit in the cab. It was beyond incompetent. Then the styling was wrong on the next batch. It was just one thing after another. Even my own standard CA cabs were affected. 1/4" gaps between the top of the chassis and the baffle. External dimensions up to 1/2" off, wrong hardware, grille cloth that were not parallel, mounting holes miles out. I'm coming out in hives thinking about it.....lol......

7. Carol-AnnAmps

You are spot on. I'd rather a guy backed out and cancelled than I sent an amp that didn't sound exactly how I wanted. Not really the best way to run a business, but I can't help it. It ends up with things taking longer than expected, then I have to be in the right frame of mind too. Its got to be a ball ache for you guys dealing with that. I totally get it, I really really apologize but I can't (don't want) to change.

I am partnering with another FANTASTIC amp Company and doing a design for them. Its the best of all worlds as they have the front end customer/Dealer thing well sorted. I get to do the design and tweak it until its exactly what I want. I'm so much happier doing this. I will post further info as it progresses, but they have the schematic and chassis layout now and I just have to finish a main board layout. They will build it and I will tweak the proto to exactly what I want. Its going to be awesome !!!!

8. MkIIC+

MkIIC+ Supporting Member

I love that attitude. It's all too rare.

I'm happy to hear you are partnering with another company. I hope they are the right fit and you have a successful partnership. I'll stay tuned for news on that front as it's available.

9. GuitarHeroRick

GuitarHeroRick Member

Will this amp company be building the orders that have deposits on them? While I’m not criticizing this business move at all, I want to know Alan Philips designed AND built my amp. Yes, it’s that important to me, lol.

saltydogg likes this.
  10. Ape2000

Ape2000 Supporting Member

Alan,

I appreciate that response. I do think based on what you've said and the clips I've heard, including yours at Austin Guitar House, that the Triptik really is the sound my ears are going for.

Thank you!

Carol-AnnAmps and In Absentia like this.
  11. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

Nice dude! Way to persevere and evolve! We live in a world where we evolve or go extinct. Hopefully your new engineering gig inspires your engineering creativity. I’d love to see you patent and license your Biasmon and auto Biasmon designs. The soft start of the Auto version is brilliant with these far more fragile modern tubes. My 10th is such an epic amp for a lead player like myself seeking my own voice. Nothing else does what this does.

DV52, saltydogg, DiPa and 1 other person like this.
  12. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

That’s really exciting! Are they gonna do your whole range or are they just gonna focus on one or two amps?

Ape2000 likes this.
  13. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

Every once in a while I pop in here to say that my Revo-45 amp is the best amp I've played for the style of music I prefer to play. Its still true. I wish I had a combo version of it too.

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Love hearing about Alan's work in continuing his line however he see's fit. Best multichannel amps on the planet IMO.

I ordered my Custom-67 (a tweaked 67-50H) when Alan started making his transition. Took longer than I wanted at the time and I must've got on Alan's nerves bugging him about it... was worth the wait in the end.

I believe it has become my favorite amp I've ever owned. Still love my Tucana 3 (and my Dr. Z's) but Alan's build of this JTM50 circuit is STELLAR! So smooth and voiced *perfect*. I had written off Marshall style amps... not anymore.

Ape2000, DiPa, MkIIC+ and 1 other person like this.
  15. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Yes, Alan, inquiring-minds (like mine) would like to know. :D

16. DV52

DV52 Member

I will say that you guys asked Alan for the British Series. The 18 Watt could have been HUGE for you > The only demo was of Alan playing the original .
    I do not understand why you guys did not do a pro style demo of this fantastic amp to promote them.
    I was critical of him as well in this regard and felt bad because he is one of the good guys trying to give give us, guitar players, the most fickle bunch of consumers a good representation .

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Carol-AnnAmps and Mikeroesoft like this.
  17. tweedphan

tweedphan Member

Just wondering why you asked this?

pete12string likes this.
  18. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

I think Pete is looking for another British Series amp to add to his 67-18 combo. :)

pete12string likes this.
  19. tweedphan

tweedphan Member

Silly me. Of course, you can never have too much of a good thing !!

pete12string likes this.
  20. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I have an OD-2r. I think I’d rather have another British Series! I’m a Marshall guy at heart and I really like the 67-18C. Would love to switch for another British Series.

tweedphan likes this.