Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Carol-AnnAmps

Will this amp company be building the orders that have deposits on them? While I’m not criticizing this business move at all, I want to know Alan Philips designed AND built my amp. Yes, it’s that important to me, lol.
Any amplifiers with a Carol-Ann logo on the front will still be built by me including any pre-orders that are still outstanding.

Carol-AnnAmps

I will say that you guys asked Alan for the British Series. The 18 Watt could have been HUGE for you > The only demo was of Alan playing the original .
I do not understand why you guys did not do a pro style demo of this fantastic amp to promote them.
I was critical of him as well in this regard and felt bad because he is one of the good guys trying to give give us, guitar players, the most fickle bunch of consumers a good representation .
I think in hindsight Humbucker alluded to the fact that they did miss the ball on some of these British amps. The first batch of 18W combos were delivered a little spread out . However, the batch of heads were delivered together and the second batch of 18W combos were too. 67-50 and 78-50 were in ones and twos and that was my bad. There is still one 78-50 that is all but finished that needs to be delivered. I just got its twin out this weekend for a guy who pre-ordered it through them.

Carol-AnnAmps

That’s really exciting! Are they gonna do your whole range or are they just gonna focus on one or two amps?
I am designing a one-channel overdrive style amp for them. A clean to scream through the volume control.

Basic spec:

A 'bit' of hat tipping to the 10 anniversary in the preamp
30W Cathode biased 6L6 output stage
My 12AU7 efx loop.
My usual master volume circuit
No channel switching, just volume control on guitar for clean to full on lead and everything in between.

I got them to send me a chassis from a current amp model they build and it was totally perfect for the basis ofthis.
This is an amp that will have their logo on it and a mention of me on the back.
They are probably the most reputable boutique amp Company that's been around since the 80's and only build in house. The quality will 100% be there.
I forced myself to do a layout that is very stable and easier to replicate.
Ultimately I will be tweaking the design from a prototype they build for me and that will become the production design.

Carol-AnnAmps

I think Pete is looking for another British Series amp to add to his 67-18 combo. :)
I know of one more 78-50 thats funnily enough cloned from yours that needs a home......

For anyone whos wondering what the heck I'm talking about.

One of the reasons the 78-50's were delivered late was because it became an 'obsessive compulsive amp for me. I had a great sounding first design which fundamentally has the same gain staging as a JCM800, but the likeness pretty much stops there. I literally did about 20 iterations of it before I was 100% happy. The final one was the unicorn I had been looking for. I marked up the paper the schematic and never committed it to an electronic file. Big mistake. In the move I lost the marked up sheet and I had two more to build. It was like starting again from scratch literally. About as demotivating as it gets. One day a few weeks ago I was talking to Miroslav and I realized he owned an original 78-50 I built. I got him to take a ton of internal pictures of it.....something I have historically been known to criticize people for doing and I basically cloned my own work :) Much quicker that repeating the iterative process. The only time its OK to clone is when you designed it in the first place.

So if you are one of the people that was waiting on these last two, there's the truth bared out in from of you as to why they are so late. I forgot my own design basically and suffered wicked procrastination because of it :). I knew it was going to be an uphill battle.

THE1MrClean

Can one of you fine gentleman PLEASE tell me about the Carol-Ann Trip-r? I can find ANY clips of it.,.Alan has nothing about on his website...I know it’s an older model...still can’t find ANYTHING about it??? TIA!!!

Crash-VR

Can one of you fine gentleman PLEASE tell me about the Carol-Ann Trip-r? I can find ANY clips of it.,.Alan has nothing about on his website...I know it’s an older model...still can’t find ANYTHING about it??? TIA!!!
From what I’ve gathered is that it rocks. Pretty hard, but might be a little softer feeling than is preferred for the heavier music it’s designed for. Great amp, but the Trip2 is a new ground up design that exceeds it in most ways.

Miroslav L

One day a few weeks ago I was talking to Miroslav and I realized he owned an original 78-50 I built. I got him to take a ton of internal pictures of it...
Glad I could help, bro! :)
Like I said on the phone...if you had needed it, I would have gladly sent you my 78-50...but I think all the pictures I took where probably good enough to refresh your memory, considering it was your design to begin with.

So anyone out there...you have to opportunity now to grab the last official 78-50.
I know there were a few people that had asked about it in the last few months.

Oh...mine sounds fantastic, it was the #002 built 78-50. So a great one to use for the "clone". :cool:

eigentone

Silver Supporting Member
Glad I could help, bro! :)
Like I said on the phone...if you had needed it, I would have gladly sent you my 78-50...but I think all the pictures I took where probably good enough to refresh your memory, considering it was your design to begin with.

So anyone out there...you have to opportunity now to grab the last official 78-50.
I know there were a few people that had asked about it in the last few months.

Oh...mine sounds fantastic, it was the #002 built 78-50. So a great one to use for the "clone". :cool:
Well that was nice of you. :aok

Doubt he needs it now, but I have a 67-50H which found its way back to New England if Alan needs to peek inside one.

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Gold Supporting Member
I'm right behind you with my OD3 Ultra order. :)

What are you getting "custom" on yours?
I'm going for a standard 6L6 version...but I'm open to any interesting customizations.
:cool:
Well, let me preface this by saying that I’ve owned and enjoyed (immensely) several Carol Anns over the last decade, but I’m currently looking for something specifically for the two types of cover-music I play; classic rock and 90’s/Grunge, and want it firmly in the Marshall camp.

General Details:
OD Ultra Chassis and design w/ EL34’s/50W
Ch.1: Clean (like his JTM50 would be spectacular)
Ch.2: Plexi-style up to late 70’s Gain
Ch.3: Modded Plexi with more gain and saturation to get into the 90s

This build started with me contacting Alan, asking him which would be a better fit; the Revo MkII or the 10th Anniversary, and here we are looking a Custom Ultra 3..Needless to say Alan didn’t have to twist my arm to hard.....

Currently I use a Bogner Helios 50W or Glaswerks amp for the classic rock, and an Orange Rockerverb MkIII 50W for the 90’s stuff (although it does classic rock well too). I’d love to consolidate my amp situation...

Miroslav L

This build started with me contacting Alan, asking him which would be a better fit; the Revo MkII or the 10th Anniversary, and here we are looking a Custom Ultra 3..Needless to say Alan didn’t have to twist my arm to hard...
My call was about to talk about and SD60, which is a kind of custom Tucana...and then we ended up talking the OD3 Ultra.
I was really set on it being 6L6, which is apparently the baseline OD3 platform anyway.
While I love EL34 amps, I figured I already have enough of them now...plus I was totally blown away by how good Alan's 6L6 amps sound.
My only dilemma was 50W or 100W. I was initially set on 100W...then we talked again, and it 50W seemed like a more reasonable target...BUT...then I added the 67-50/78-50 amps...and some other stuff...and suddenly I had a half-dozen or more 50W amps. So I decided to go back to my original plan, and make it a 100W Ultra...just so I would have at least one hundred watter in the stable. :D

I think other than that, I will just let Alan do his standard OD3 build, and let him tweak it tonally to where he thinks it should be. I just asked for it not to be on the bright side...so that with tones at 12:00...it's a nice, evenly balance Low/Mid/High tone...and from there I can go up/down to taste.

Scott P

I gigged a Trip-r for about a year. I know it is supposed to be the "rock" amp but it had one of the nicest sounding and feeling clean channels I have ever played. Overall, the amp is a bit compressed so perhaps not ideal if you are into chugga chugga death metal but for anything up to 80s metal, it is a quite the amp.

My only criticisms about the amp were that the input gain was shared by both channels so it was difficult to set the clean and mean sides up ideally for live switching and the amp had too much of a Marshally low end response. I was looking for something a bit more dumbly sounding.

Eventually I was talking to Alan about my two issues and he offered to upgrade the amp to a Tucana 3r. He told me it would solve my issues and he was absolutely right. I love my Tuc and wouldn't dream of getting rid of it for anything else out there.

As for Alan, he always went above and beyond for me, even on a redesigned foot controller I requested. I have nothing but good things to say about Alan and his amps and I wish him well on his future endeavors.

Trending Topics