Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratovarius, Dec 7, 2014.

1. tweedphan

tweedphan Member

I too like my 67-18C. In fact I’ve used it for the last few gigs in preference to my OD3. Still looking for the right overdrive for it at lower volumes - about to try a Timmy. And I’ve never owned a Marshall in all the years I’ve been playing. Mesa, Fender, Bad Cat and others. But I now love my Carol Ann’s.

pete12string likes this.
  2. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

You’re going to love the Timmy with it. That’s what I use. I also like the Lovepedal COT50. The Timmy sounds great with every amp I’ve tried!

tweedphan likes this.
  3. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Some low/mid gain overdrives that I like are Lovepedal Eternity HW, TS808HW and the Greer Lightspeed is pretty transparent. I haven’t owned a CA channel-switcher since I’ve owned the TS808HW, but find it works well (gain set at 10-12 o’clock or lower) driving the gain-channels of my current 2-channel amps.

The Skreddy Hybrid Drive is a pretty versatile overdrive/fuzz if you’re ever feeling saucy.

I had a COT50 years ago but don’t recall my feelings for it...maybe I’m afraid of commitment.

4. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

That amp is a piece of art!!!! Congrats. Stunning look.

MkIIC+, rawkguitarist and saltydogg like this.
  5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Thanks! I’ve wanted a small box 50wt Marshall in Orange since I saw one on that Jake Lee Spetroflex cable add. This one fits the bill and then some!

MkIIC+, Dannyz and saltydogg like this.
  6. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

Wow man, same taste in music and gear lol. I saw that ad a few years ago, that orange Marshall SLP is unique, i always digged that amp.
    I bet that your CA has more gain than Jake's lol.

7. BelgPJ

BelgPJ Member

Also put a Thorpy The Dane on your list of compatible OD's. Works brilliantly with my CA's, and also has the boost side to kick the front end up the jacksie

eigentone, pete12string and tweedphan like this.
  8. saltydogg

I don't know what that means, but I'm certain that I'll like it...lol

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    eigentone, pete12string and tweedphan like this.
  9. tweedphan

tweedphan Member

That’s the problem with quaint old English sayings - they don’t always travel well.

pete12string likes this.
  10. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

My Irish bro-in-law was always tossing out odd little sayings...but over the years I learned how to make sense of them. :D

pete12string likes this.
  11. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

Any amplifiers with a Carol-Ann logo on the front will still be built by me including any pre-orders that are still outstanding.

12. Carol-AnnAmps

I think in hindsight Humbucker alluded to the fact that they did miss the ball on some of these British amps. The first batch of 18W combos were delivered a little spread out . However, the batch of heads were delivered together and the second batch of 18W combos were too. 67-50 and 78-50 were in ones and twos and that was my bad. There is still one 78-50 that is all but finished that needs to be delivered. I just got its twin out this weekend for a guy who pre-ordered it through them.

DiPa, saltydogg and DV52 like this.
  13. Carol-AnnAmps

I actually really loved that amp too for what its worth. I have a one off schematic for just that one amp :)

amphog and Mikeroesoft like this.
  14. Carol-AnnAmps

I am designing a one-channel overdrive style amp for them. A clean to scream through the volume control.

Basic spec:

A 'bit' of hat tipping to the 10 anniversary in the preamp
    30W Cathode biased 6L6 output stage
    My 12AU7 efx loop.
    My usual master volume circuit
    No channel switching, just volume control on guitar for clean to full on lead and everything in between.

I got them to send me a chassis from a current amp model they build and it was totally perfect for the basis ofthis.
    This is an amp that will have their logo on it and a mention of me on the back.
    They are probably the most reputable boutique amp Company that's been around since the 80's and only build in house. The quality will 100% be there.
    I forced myself to do a layout that is very stable and easier to replicate.
    Ultimately I will be tweaking the design from a prototype they build for me and that will become the production design.

15. saltydogg

Alan, I've been meaning to call you on a weekend, but my weekends have been crazy busy. Please keep me posted on my pre-order Custom OD3 Ultra, thank you, much appreciated.

Miroslav L and Carol-AnnAmps like this.
  16. Carol-AnnAmps

I know of one more 78-50 thats funnily enough cloned from yours that needs a home......

For anyone whos wondering what the heck I'm talking about.

One of the reasons the 78-50's were delivered late was because it became an 'obsessive compulsive amp for me. I had a great sounding first design which fundamentally has the same gain staging as a JCM800, but the likeness pretty much stops there. I literally did about 20 iterations of it before I was 100% happy. The final one was the unicorn I had been looking for. I marked up the paper the schematic and never committed it to an electronic file. Big mistake. In the move I lost the marked up sheet and I had two more to build. It was like starting again from scratch literally. About as demotivating as it gets. One day a few weeks ago I was talking to Miroslav and I realized he owned an original 78-50 I built. I got him to take a ton of internal pictures of it.....something I have historically been known to criticize people for doing and I basically cloned my own work :) Much quicker that repeating the iterative process. The only time its OK to clone is when you designed it in the first place.

So if you are one of the people that was waiting on these last two, there's the truth bared out in from of you as to why they are so late. I forgot my own design basically and suffered wicked procrastination because of it :). I knew it was going to be an uphill battle.

17. Carol-AnnAmps

Don't feel bad, neither did I !!!

saltydogg likes this.
  18. GuitarHeroRick

GuitarHeroRick Member

Woot woot!!

19. THE1MrClean

THE1MrClean Member

Can one of you fine gentleman PLEASE tell me about the Carol-Ann Trip-r? I can find ANY clips of it.,.Alan has nothing about on his website...I know it’s an older model...still can’t find ANYTHING about it??? TIA!!!

saltydogg likes this.
  20. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

From what I’ve gathered is that it rocks. Pretty hard, but might be a little softer feeling than is preferred for the heavier music it’s designed for. Great amp, but the Trip2 is a new ground up design that exceeds it in most ways.

saltydogg likes this.