Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratovarius, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Glad I could help, bro! :)
    Like I said on the phone...if you had needed it, I would have gladly sent you my 78-50...but I think all the pictures I took where probably good enough to refresh your memory, considering it was your design to begin with.

So anyone out there...you have to opportunity now to grab the last official 78-50.
    I know there were a few people that had asked about it in the last few months.

Oh...mine sounds fantastic, it was the #002 built 78-50. So a great one to use for the "clone". :cool:

DiPa and eigentone like this.
  2. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

I'm right behind you with my OD3 Ultra order. :)

What are you getting "custom" on yours?
    I'm going for a standard 6L6 version...but I'm open to any interesting customizations.
    :cool:

saltydogg likes this.
  3. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Well that was nice of you. :aok

Doubt he needs it now, but I have a 67-50H which found its way back to New England if Alan needs to peek inside one.

saltydogg likes this.
  4. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Well, let me preface this by saying that I’ve owned and enjoyed (immensely) several Carol Anns over the last decade, but I’m currently looking for something specifically for the two types of cover-music I play; classic rock and 90’s/Grunge, and want it firmly in the Marshall camp.

General Details:
    OD Ultra Chassis and design w/ EL34’s/50W
    Ch.1: Clean (like his JTM50 would be spectacular)
    Ch.2: Plexi-style up to late 70’s Gain
    Ch.3: Modded Plexi with more gain and saturation to get into the 90s

This build started with me contacting Alan, asking him which would be a better fit; the Revo MkII or the 10th Anniversary, and here we are looking a Custom Ultra 3..Needless to say Alan didn’t have to twist my arm to hard.....

Currently I use a Bogner Helios 50W or Glaswerks amp for the classic rock, and an Orange Rockerverb MkIII 50W for the 90’s stuff (although it does classic rock well too). I’d love to consolidate my amp situation...

5. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

My call was about to talk about and SD60, which is a kind of custom Tucana...and then we ended up talking the OD3 Ultra.
    I was really set on it being 6L6, which is apparently the baseline OD3 platform anyway.
    While I love EL34 amps, I figured I already have enough of them now...plus I was totally blown away by how good Alan's 6L6 amps sound.
    My only dilemma was 50W or 100W. I was initially set on 100W...then we talked again, and it 50W seemed like a more reasonable target...BUT...then I added the 67-50/78-50 amps...and some other stuff...and suddenly I had a half-dozen or more 50W amps. So I decided to go back to my original plan, and make it a 100W Ultra...just so I would have at least one hundred watter in the stable. :D

I think other than that, I will just let Alan do his standard OD3 build, and let him tweak it tonally to where he thinks it should be. I just asked for it not to be on the bright side...so that with tones at 12:00...it's a nice, evenly balance Low/Mid/High tone...and from there I can go up/down to taste.

saltydogg likes this.
  6. Scott P

Scott P Supporting Member

I gigged a Trip-r for about a year. I know it is supposed to be the "rock" amp but it had one of the nicest sounding and feeling clean channels I have ever played. Overall, the amp is a bit compressed so perhaps not ideal if you are into chugga chugga death metal but for anything up to 80s metal, it is a quite the amp.

My only criticisms about the amp were that the input gain was shared by both channels so it was difficult to set the clean and mean sides up ideally for live switching and the amp had too much of a Marshally low end response. I was looking for something a bit more dumbly sounding.

Eventually I was talking to Alan about my two issues and he offered to upgrade the amp to a Tucana 3r. He told me it would solve my issues and he was absolutely right. I love my Tuc and wouldn't dream of getting rid of it for anything else out there.

As for Alan, he always went above and beyond for me, even on a redesigned foot controller I requested. I have nothing but good things to say about Alan and his amps and I wish him well on his future endeavors.

7. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Well, there is nothing wrong with 100W Carol Ann...lol. My first CA in 2009(?) was a 100W OD2 that Alan built for me and was incredible. Was using a Stone Age 2x12 with EVL & Sugarcone...massive tone.

In hindsight, I probably should have hung-on to that rig, but I’m not a ‘collector’ and none of the amps I play are unobtanium, so I can always get another if needed.

The idea would be to shed a few amps when the OD3 Ultra arrives...

I’m different with guitars, where I tend to keep them for years. I still have the same CR8 LP I bought in 2008 when I joined TGP!!

On a side-note, I’ve already pre-named my Custom Ultra 3 “Patience”... :)

8. BelgPJ

BelgPJ Member

You've been across the pond too long! :p:p

saltydogg likes this.
  9. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

I'm gonna call mine "Desire". :D
    Oooh....wait..."An Amp Called Desire"....someone could write a play. :p

saltydogg likes this.
  10. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

So... should we try to guess the amp company Alan is designing for? He left some good hints. One of the most reputable builders in the US and has been around since the 80’s... Hmmm... Matchless? Rivera?

saltydogg and Ape2000 like this.
  11. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Crash-VR likes this.
  12. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Bo
    PRS?
    Bogner?
    Hughes and Ketner?

My gut tells me most likely PRS

rawkguitarist likes this.
  13. Crash-VR

But they haven’t been building amps since the 80’s. I’d say Soldano if they were still in business.

DiPa and gtrs like this.
  14. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

15. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Did he say reputable builder, My gut says PRS as this could be a great thing for their amp business.
    But Bogner is also a candidate.

16. Crash-VR

I don’t know, Doug Sewell is pretty amazing. I don’t think Carol Ann on the back would do anything more than he has been able to do.

DiPa and saltydogg like this.
  17. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Keep trying guys... :p

eigentone and pete12string like this.
  18. Crash-VR

You mean, you already know?!

pete12string and saltydogg like this.
  19. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking Dr. Z or maybe, going out on a limb...Trainwreck?

pete12string and saltydogg like this.
  20. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

If you do know, then Alan may not (or may) appreciate you keeping the secret. Or maybe you are just telling them to keep trying regardless of their guesses. :p