Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

saltydogg

Rock & Roll Enthusiast
Gold Supporting Member
My call was about to talk about and SD60, which is a kind of custom Tucana...and then we ended up talking the OD3 Ultra.
I was really set on it being 6L6, which is apparently the baseline OD3 platform anyway.
While I love EL34 amps, I figured I already have enough of them now...plus I was totally blown away by how good Alan's 6L6 amps sound.
My only dilemma was 50W or 100W. I was initially set on 100W...then we talked again, and it 50W seemed like a more reasonable target...BUT...then I added the 67-50/78-50 amps...and some other stuff...and suddenly I had a half-dozen or more 50W amps. So I decided to go back to my original plan, and make it a 100W Ultra...just so I would have at least one hundred watter in the stable. :D

I think other than that, I will just let Alan do his standard OD3 build, and let him tweak it tonally to where he thinks it should be. I just asked for it not to be on the bright side...so that with tones at 12:00...it's a nice, evenly balance Low/Mid/High tone...and from there I can go up/down to taste.
Well, there is nothing wrong with 100W Carol Ann...lol. My first CA in 2009(?) was a 100W OD2 that Alan built for me and was incredible. Was using a Stone Age 2x12 with EVL & Sugarcone...massive tone.

In hindsight, I probably should have hung-on to that rig, but I’m not a ‘collector’ and none of the amps I play are unobtanium, so I can always get another if needed.

The idea would be to shed a few amps when the OD3 Ultra arrives...

I’m different with guitars, where I tend to keep them for years. I still have the same CR8 LP I bought in 2008 when I joined TGP!!

On a side-note, I’ve already pre-named my Custom Ultra 3 “Patience”... :)

Crash-VR

So... should we try to guess the amp company Alan is designing for? He left some good hints. One of the most reputable builders in the US and has been around since the 80’s... Hmmm... Matchless? Rivera?

DiPa

Constant GAS
Gold Supporting Member
Bo
So... should we try to guess the amp company Alan is designing for? He left some good hints. One of the most reputable builders in the US and has been around since the 80’s... Hmmm... Matchless? Rivera?
PRS?
Bogner?
Hughes and Ketner?

My gut tells me most likely PRS

DiPa

Constant GAS
Gold Supporting Member
But they haven’t been building amps since the 80’s. I’d say Soldano if they were still in business.
Did he say reputable builder, My gut says PRS as this could be a great thing for their amp business.
But Bogner is also a candidate.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Gold Supporting Member
I don’t know, Doug Sewell is pretty amazing. I don’t think Carol Ann on the back would do anything more than he has been able to do.
Yeah Doug is definitely up there. A partner for Doug, sounds great to me. I feel on a amp business growth and increased market, something like this would excel PRS amp business, and a few other companies, plus it’s a plus for CA, just my opinion based on how I have seen the amp market going for them. Of course PRS has an amazing guitar business.

Crash-VR

I’d say Mesa, but I think they’ve been around since the 70’s and are pretty confident with they’re innovative designs. Although none of their innovations compare to the Auto Biasmon. They’d rather bias cold and have you be forced to buy tubes from them.

Crash-VR

Yeah Doug is definitely up there. A partner for Doug, sounds great to me. I feel on a amp business growth and increased market, something like this would excel PRS amp business, and a few other companies, plus it’s a plus for CA, just my opinion based on how I have seen the amp market going for them. Of course PRS has an amazing guitar business.
I’d guess that PRS sell way more amps a year and are better known than Carol Ann was able to do. So I’m not sure how it would help. I’m so curious!

DiPa

Constant GAS
Gold Supporting Member
I’d guess that PRS sell way more amps a year and are better known than Carol Ann was able to do. So I’m not sure how it would help. I’m so curious!
Me too, you started this curiosity, hope we get the answers soon...

DiPa

Constant GAS
Gold Supporting Member
Mhhh as far as PRS Amps, for me they don’t stack up to a CA amp, no way, imo CA Amps are tops, smaller company yeah, but damn he builds killer products. My imagination to marry PRS with CA, wow now that would be amazing.