Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Crash-VR

Mhhh as far as PRS Amps, for me they don’t stack up to a CA amp, no way, imo CA Amps are tops, smaller company yeah, but damn he builds killer products. My imagination to marry PRS with CA, wow now that would be amazing.
Don’t get me wrong. I think Carol Ann are far superior. I just don’t think they’re well known enough to be a selling point for a company that is selling mostly affordable amps. I mean you just discovered them yourself, if I’m not mistaken?

Tone Loco

Silver Supporting Member
I must have picked it up in one of these threads but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Alan speak highly of Dr. Z as a model for how to run an amp company, at a minimum. Maybe also that they speak on a professional/design basis as well? So that guess seems pretty compelling to me. Wikipedia says the co was founded in ‘88.

I was thinking boogie at first - based on “reputable”, etc - but they were definitely selling amps in the mid 70s.

Crash-VR

I must have picked it up in one of these threads but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Alan speak highly of Dr. Z as a model for how to run an amp company, at a minimum. Maybe also that they speak on a professional/design basis as well? So that guess seems pretty compelling to me. Wikipedia says the co was founded in ‘88.

I was thinking boogie at first - based on “reputable”, etc - but they were definitely selling amps in the mid 70s.
I agree. I’ll bet it’s Dr. Z. They do simple single channel amps too. That definitely makes the most sense. I want the combo!

Irreversal

I am designing a one-channel overdrive style amp for them. A clean to scream through the volume control.

Basic spec:

A 'bit' of hat tipping to the 10 anniversary in the preamp
30W Cathode biased 6L6 output stage
My 12AU7 efx loop.
My usual master volume circuit
No channel switching, just volume control on guitar for clean to full on lead and everything in between.

I got them to send me a chassis from a current amp model they build and it was totally perfect for the basis ofthis.
This is an amp that will have their logo on it and a mention of me on the back.
They are probably the most reputable boutique amp Company that's been around since the 80's and only build in house. The quality will 100% be there.
I forced myself to do a layout that is very stable and easier to replicate.
Ultimately I will be tweaking the design from a prototype they build for me and that will become the production design.
If it's Z, I'd bet my money that the amp Alan mentions here is the Therapy. The Therapy is an amazing amp, and possibly the least Z-like in its overdrive character. Very smooth and gainy. I've always called it the American voiced Z Wreck.

Z was talking about doing a Therapy combo, and that kind of went away. I know Z is a busy guy, but when he floats ideas usually they come to fruition. I can see that idea getting shelved for this collab with Alan.

pete12string

Supporting Member
It's for Alan to publicly announce, when he's ready...not me.
I think it's only fair to leave it be until he decides to reveal it.
There may be certain business reasons not to make things public too much in advance.
Besides, you guys have already named pretty much all the possible amp brands. :)
Any idea when an announcement will be made?

Crash-VR

If it's Z, I'd bet my money that the amp Alan mentions here is the Therapy. The Therapy is an amazing amp, and possibly the least Z-like in its overdrive character. Very smooth and gainy. I've always called it the American voiced Z Wreck.

Z was talking about doing a Therapy combo, and that kind of went away. I know Z is a busy guy, but when he floats ideas usually they come to fruition. I can see that idea getting shelved for this collab with Alan.
The Therapy already exists. It sounds like it would be a brand new model.

Irreversal

The Therapy already exists. It sounds like it would be a brand new model.
I was hinting towards a brand new model based around Therapy tweaks. Z is in MKii mode, MKii Maz, MKii Z28, etc.

The original Therapy has no loop, the master volume is good but not as good as the Nova MV or Maz MKii MV, plus, it became slightly redundant with the Nova in the lineup.

I could see it being tweaked and being Z's first foray into truly high gain territory.

pete12string

Supporting Member
Nope.
I think Alan already kinda said where he was at with the development stage.
I have no idea how much time it will take before there's a ready-to-buy amp.
Do you think this new partnership could have a positive impact on the value of the "original" Carol-Ann amps?

rawkguitarist

Talking on the phone Alan said essential exactly what you said. He definitely respects Mike Z. and his business.

If there was a collaboration between Alan and Dr. Z... well that'd be kick ass to me. I consider both amp companies to be the best amps available - bare none. I have 2 Carol-Ann's and 3 Dr. Z's. For different reasons for each, I can't really tell you any of them is my favorite. I simply have favorite ones at different times... They're all amazing.

pete12string

Supporting Member
Okay, so it's been talked about a thousand times before... :D

What speaker(s) are you using for your OD models? I've been using a CL80 with my OD-2r. Very "well-defined" speaker, that is, it keeps the notes crisp and clear, even under heavy overdrive. I think it pairs well. Wondering what others use (and why).

DiPa

Constant GAS
Gold Supporting Member
Okay, so it's been talked about a thousand times before... :D

What speaker(s) are you using for your OD models? I've been using a CL80 with my OD-2r. Very "well-defined" speaker, that is, it keeps the notes crisp and clear, even under heavy overdrive. I think it pairs well. Wondering what others use (and why).
EVM12L

Mikeroesoft

Supporting Member
When I had my 50 watt OD2, I'd either run it through an EVM12L or an ASW KTS70. As with any amp I've owned in the last 10 years, the winner is always the KTS70.....and I've gone through a lot of speakers.

Fun fact, I bought the OD2 from TGP member GAT. It was a top mounted 50watt 6L6 model. Once I got my JTM45 inspired Revo-45 amp from Alan, I found that I liked it's looser, edgier feel so I sold the OD2 back in 2011 to Ariel Posen who's finally gotten some decent recognition.

Trending Topics