Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratovarius, Dec 7, 2014.

1. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Talking on the phone Alan said essential exactly what you said. He definitely respects Mike Z. and his business.

If there was a collaboration between Alan and Dr. Z... well that'd be kick ass to me. I consider both amp companies to be the best amps available - bare none. I have 2 Carol-Ann's and 3 Dr. Z's. For different reasons for each, I can't really tell you any of them is my favorite. I simply have favorite ones at different times... They're all amazing.

2. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Okay, so it's been talked about a thousand times before... :D

What speaker(s) are you using for your OD models? I've been using a CL80 with my OD-2r. Very "well-defined" speaker, that is, it keeps the notes crisp and clear, even under heavy overdrive. I think it pairs well. Wondering what others use (and why).

3. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

EVM12L

pete12string likes this.
  4. Mountain Jammer

Mountain Jammer Member

Ditto.

pete12string likes this.
  5. pete12string

I've seen this recommended (many times) before. What do you like about it? Have you tried others?

6. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

When I had my 50 watt OD2, I'd either run it through an EVM12L or an ASW KTS70. As with any amp I've owned in the last 10 years, the winner is always the KTS70.....and I've gone through a lot of speakers.

Fun fact, I bought the OD2 from TGP member GAT. It was a top mounted 50watt 6L6 model. Once I got my JTM45 inspired Revo-45 amp from Alan, I found that I liked it's looser, edgier feel so I sold the OD2 back in 2011 to Ariel Posen who's finally gotten some decent recognition.

pete12string likes this.
  7. EMG77

EMG77 Supporting Member

Well for me. I really like the Scumback J75 for both the Tucana 3 and Triptik2. Others I tried were Scumback H75's, Celestion M65's creambacks, Vintage 30's and Greenbacks.

8. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Wait...let me check my crystal ball... :D ;)

Great idea! :)

Oh wait...I already did that...just about. :facepalm :p

9. pete12string

:D

10. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

@rawkguitarist I forgot to ask you...do you have any gutshot from that amp? It would be nice to see the caps used, resistors, etc. Thank you again!

11. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

Alan is really not into that.

GuitarHeroRick likes this.
  12. GuitarHeroRick

GuitarHeroRick Member

WGS 12L. They let the amp shine through but have a touch of British flavour. No piercing highs or speaker break up either. Just the amp.

glenngross and pete12string like this.
  13. DiPa

Pete, I have tried a few other speakers, to me the EVs were the best all around match, meaning the feel, transparency, and low to loud volume were glorious.

Miroslav L and pete12string like this.
  14. hurtwoodec

hurtwoodec Supporting Member

I agree wholeheartedly. The only speaker to perhaps pip the Evm12L at the post would be the Scholz Classic aka Sugarcone imho.

pete12string likes this.
  15. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

OK...so it's mostly the transparency that you think sets the 12L apart from other choices...?
    I dunno...I had one last year...I thought it was sounded pretty good, but I just didn't get any sense of it being a superior choice to some of the other speakers I am now using, having sold the 12L...and all I could think of that might have given it a higher rating (IMO) was it's ability to be transparent...
    ...but to me, that wasn't/isn't a real goal.

I mean...I don't feel that the other speakers I'm using, that I preferred to the 12L...in any way diminish the CA amps. Granted, if you absolutely don't want to hear the speaker, only the amp...then it's a good choice, as it will do that...but when I'm trying out speakers with a given amp, I'm looking for the speaker(s) that will actually extend the beauty of the amp's tones, in conjunction with a given cabinet, and I feel then that the whole combination is greater than the sum of its parts.

To me...going with the 12L (or similar "transparent" speaker) simply eliminates one of those parts from the whole, which again, is just a matter of choice...but I like working the equation to bring the sum of the amp, cab, speaker, together as a unit...and with certain speakers, the tones of the amp can be heightened, extended.
    I guess what I am saying is that the 12L just didn't do it for me. :p

pete12string and DiPa like this.
  16. DiPa

Yeah as well as the range, low to very high volumes, which is key sonically, and yeah I guess I am looking for the speaker/ cab system that magnifies and brings out the guitar/amp with zero color, I want the guitar and amp to be projected in that system exactly as it’s coming out. I did try some other speakers, and I could not bond with. The OD2 having the huge cleans and great over drive is key to be transported sonically as close as one can get.

pete12string likes this.
  17. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

The EVM12L became popular with CA users a long time ago when Alan’s flagship was the OD2 amp. There was no Triptik and the Tucana was pretty new. From what I understand, the Trip and the Tuc are much less picky when it comes to speaker options. With the 100w version of the OD2, there weren’t many speaker options in a 1x12 or even 2x12 format. That amp made most speakers cry. With the 50w and OD2r versions, there were a few more options, but not many. From what I recall, for the 50w model, the CL80, EVM12, KTS70, Jensen Blackbird and Scholtz Sugarcone were pretty much it. There could have been 1 or 2 others but I don’t recall at this time.

It’s also true that the EVM12L became popular with CA users because it was Alan’s recommendation and from there is has become the default speaker recommendation for the CA line.

The EVM12L is a love it or leave it speaker. It’s not for everyone. I prefer the KTS70 because it has some of the attributes I like from the EVM12L while having a decent ‘brittish’ voice to it as well. But for a 200w speaker, the EV is nice and articulate, punchy, clean and reliable. There really isn’t any thing else like it.

18. pete12string

With the OD-2r, I’m using a CL80. Would I hear a big difference with the EVM12?

19. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yeah - I'll respect Alan's wishes on that. PLUS - I'm not sure I have to time to pull it apart. Life is busy when you have 3 really serious hobbies with 2 of them making you some side hustle $$$.

Dannyz likes this.
  20. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

@Carol-AnnAmps - when will the announcement come on who you're collaborating with! This wait is BS!

DiPa likes this.