Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratovarius, Dec 7, 2014.

1. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

With the R series amp, the 12L may not be a game changer, even CL-80's need to be pushed to show their British heritage. The 12L's were one of the few speakers that could handle the early CA's without crying!

pete12string and saltydogg like this.
  2. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

I guess it's a "leave it" for me....not saying that in a bad way, just that I don't feel the 12L "gushing". :)

AFA what the CA need a 12L because other speakers couldn't handle them...mmm...I dunno, maybe at some earlier point...but more recently, the Avatar/Fane H75 does a great job, the Celestion Redbacks are not showing any problems, the WGS British Series also...and IMO, I like their sounds better with the various CA amps I have. They extend the amp's tones, each in their own way...with the WGS British Seris being the most "transparent"...but different than the 12L was.
    Plus...none of them weigh a ton! :p

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Mikeroesoft and pete12string like this.
  3. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

I’m running my 10th into a 212 with a Redback Cream 90 combo. Sounds pretty dang good.

pete12string likes this.
  4. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

There is an interesting phenomena happening with the 'boutique' amp business. A its become oversaturated.
    There would likely be some difference between the two. I don't have much experience with either the OD2r nor the CL80 to be honest. The thing to remember is that it's going to be a matter of personal preference. Some great guitar players are going to prefer the EV and other great guitar players are going to like the CL80. Neither one is "better". If you've got the CL80 in a 1x12 and you like it, I wouldn't recommend you go out of your way to acquire an EV speaker. If you get the chance to try it out and it turns out that you like the EV, then at that point I'd recommend you get one haha! The EV is quite a bit heavier and may even require a new cab or cab modifications if you don't already have 8 mounting screws in your current cab.

How do you find the CL80 with your amp? Are you looking for more efficiency? More highs? More lows? Less mids? Or are you just looking for a different flavor?

DiPa likes this.
  5. Mikeroesoft

That's right, there are more speaker options available now!

6. Mikeroesoft

I had an alnico Cream and didn't care for it on its own in the 1x12 I have. It sounded incredible paired with an KTS70 in my 2x12 but if I pushed the cab hard, I got some conflicting frequencies coming out of it so put the other KTS70 back in. Now I'm on the hunt for an Elgante because I am haunted by what the cream alnico brought to the clean/edge of break up tone.

saltydogg likes this.
  7. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I tell ya... dang. I've gotten to where I don't care one bit about any new amp, pedal or guitar company. *ESPECIALLY* pedals... damn. How many more overdrives, fuzz pedals and delay's does the market need? If its not a company I know and respect, I don't even click on the thread. Sorry to the great companies that are still coming out... I've just lost interest.

gaelicsolus and DiPa like this.
  8. Mikeroesoft

Yikes, not sure how that happened. I didn’t mean to post that part! It was something I was writing and had decided not finish the thought. But I guess I mustn’t have deleted what I had typed.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  9. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

After accumulating and trying all types of gear/amps, You reach an end point and after that, no matter what’s introduced, it’s just another one, so at that point you look at anything niche but hardly get excited enough.

10. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Yeah...I think I've hit a wall too...

rawkguitarist likes this.
  11. BelgPJ

BelgPJ Member

This - exactly

I certainly needed to go through the process to get to here. Enjoyed the thrill of the hunt, eating the kill, and the learning experience, but now it's about appreciating what I have. And not letting gear get in the way of improving my playing. Sold a lot of great gear recently, and kept the stuff I know will be with me for a while ... and my CA's are in their forever home

saltydogg likes this.
  12. Crash-VR

Yeah, I’m really trying to minimize and just make what I have work. There is no better just different at this level anyway.

Mikeroesoft, saltydogg and DiPa like this.
  13. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

I'm kinda stuck between two situations with gear.

On the one hand, I like having a wider selection for my studio use...especially now that I'm in the process of building out a bigger studio space. So I wanted to have a "decent" cross-section of amp styles/flavors available...not to mention other studio gear. Like I can get by with 2-3 mics, but having 2-3 dozen gives you choices and just allows for variety when desired...etc...etc.

On the other hand...I'm also going to have a couple of live rigs put together (as soon as I get the new studio project completed)...and for them, I plan to try an minimize, so I'm not having to carry too much gear.
    I wanted a couple of amps that would cover wide, and be good grab-n-go rigs...requiring minimal pedals and peripherals. Of course, until I get to that point...and get back into the live thing...I don't quite know what those rigs will consist of...though I have a couple of amp already in mind.

14. Mikeroesoft

I see I’ve been through a lot of amps. What, was your favourite clean/edge of break up amp that was lower wattage (20-40w) I’m kinda looking at getting a combo.

15. Crash-VR

Germino Bass 35 was truly epic at the edge of breakup and worked perfectly with the Iron Man II mini attenuator. I had it in a combo. Never should have sold it. The other was a Divided by 13 EDT 13/29 combo running in the “Class A” 13 watt mode. I plan to get another one of those someday. Another fantastic clean edge amp is the BC Audio amp #7. Right now I’m running a dual amp rig with a Divided by 13 FTR as my clean/edge of breakup amp and the 10th as my gain amp.

16. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

There is/was one in the Emporium recently that gives me anxiety every time I see the thread-title...lol.

17. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Space is absolutely the key dimension requirement, ideally infinite space. Without space, one is limited.

saltydogg and GuitarHeroRick like this.
  18. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Me too.

saltydogg likes this.
  19. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Not sure exactly what type of break-up each person looks for...but the Louis Electric Baby Bluesbreaker 112 combo I picked up a couple of months ago has all kinds of break-up flavors. The negative feedback control on the amp does such a wonderful job of letting you dial in the perfect amount of crunch and harmonic content...though I have to say that I instantly became addicted to completely dialing out the negative feedback. The sound is just glorious how it blooms...:cool:...but you can start to add it back into the circuit, and hit that edge-of-break-up.

The other amp that I just recently picked up, the Longhorn El Vaquero, it too has three crunch options you can control with its foot pedal. It has the preamp boost, a FET boost, and an OD option. You can use one, two or all three, and any combination of two. Each one is hitting a different part of the circuit and signal chain.
    There is no Master Volume, but the OD has its own Gain/Volume controls...so between the three footswitch options, plus those two knobs, you can find all kinds of crunch sweet spots.

If/when I get my new studio space done...I will have 3X my current studio space...so I will be able to line up all my amps along one wall, and still have room for a few more if needed. ;)

20. tweedphan

tweedphan Member

Photos when completed would be good. Then we can all be consumed with envy.