Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratovarius, Dec 7, 2014.

1. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Sold my OD-2r. The OD channel was just not what I usually go for. Sweet tone, just not my style. However, the used 67-18C continued to amaze me. Really a mini plexi. So much so, I bought a second one, brand new, from Humbucker. The new one will stay at home with me and the used one will reside at my friend’s house where we get together to jam. Even though they are not that heavy, my lower back would complain A LOT if I needed to carry one back and forth-and since I sold the OD-2r, well, I deserved to get myself another 67-18C!

2. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Pete, you dog....lol. ConGRATS! Maybe one day you'll let me feed it a power-chord! ;)

pete12string likes this.
  3. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

I always say...if you really like something...buy two. :)

saltydogg, pete12string and DiPa like this.
  4. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

I fully endorse this

saltydogg and pete12string like this.
  5. DiPa

Too bad he did not bond with his OD2r, but yeah grab those 18W Amps, pretty cool....

saltydogg and pete12string like this.
  6. saltydogg

I for one, appreciate your policies. :)

True, but understandable. I’ve replaced Carol Ann’s with Carol Ann’s before... :)

Alan builds a fine-fine amp, but each CA has a Carol-Ann flavor mixed-in, not unlike Bogner, Carr, Redplate, Friedman, Marshall, Mesa etc. and if the flavor isn’t working for us, then we must move on. It’s part of the (fun?) journey, imo. It’s a learning experience, as well.

I would have, by now, bought a new 10th Anni or Revo and I’m certain that I would have been happy with either. I also knew they would be in the Marshall *ballpark*, but when Alan suggested a custom-build, I thought Marshall, not Marshall-ballpark, built by him on the OD3 platform. It’s been nearly a year since I ordered it, I’ve been (very) patient and remain optimistic that Alan will eventually begin my build. Hopefully most of this time has been spent on R&D.... :D

pete12string and DiPa like this.
  7. DiPa

I agree with you totally regarding the journey of Amps, I live it too, unfortunately (maybe fortunately depending on how you view it), I buy but rarely sell, so am trying to down size some as I am forced from a space constraint.

8. saltydogg

I don’t blame ya for not selling, it’s a big PITA, but that’s show business, I guess. I’ve really slowed down (buying/selling) over the past two-years, nothing like the previous 8 years...ha.

You have a fantastic collection Dipa, but I’m small-potatoes by comparison, although if I could, I certainly would! :) I always enjoy your NAD threads and random posts. Good stuff.

pete12string likes this.
  9. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

Have you had the chance to record your 18w? I am curious as to how it sounds.

pete12string likes this.
  10. pete12string

I have not done any recording in a while. My description, though, is that it does the Hendrix “cleans” (with a Strat) up to some nice hard rock (a la ZZ Top) with a Les Paul. This has quickly become one of my favorite amps.

Mikeroesoft likes this.
  11. pete12string

Oh yeah, the Tremolo is superb.

Mikeroesoft likes this.
  12. Mikeroesoft

Sounds like the amp I am looking for. I thought maybe a Germino Bass 35 combo would fit the bill...sheesh, what to do. The CA is 18w EL84 and the Germino is 35w with EL34's. I have a 45w KT66 powered Revo amp from CA already but I really need a lower watt combo at he moment.

pete12string likes this.
  13. pete12string

I can’t say for sure, but I think the Bass 35 will give you cleaner cleans. I have a Classic 45 and a Lead 35. I think the 67-18C sits kind of in between those. The Bass 35 will be a darker amp - in addition to being louder. I use a Fryette PS-2 at home with all of my amps. For the price, the 67-18C is a bargain. You certainly can’t go wrong with either one.

14. Mikeroesoft

Well....I am thinking if I need louder, I can use the 45 watt Carol Ann which also has pretty decent bass levels. Maybe the 18w is a better option for me....hmm. Thing is, I've got to offload an amp before getting another one. I used to play a lot and since having a baby, I've barely played at all. My other amp is an original issue 50w TR TS1 that I've had for years. It was my dream amp and I obsessed over it for ever until I finally pulled the trigger on it in 2012. It sat at a shop practically unplayed for almost 2 years before I bought it. It's a beauty of an amp, the clean is amazing but doesn't break up at all they way I like. It'll be hard for me to let that one go but I think it's probably time I do. I've just always bonded better with single channel amps that can, and like to be pushed. The Komet K19 combo in the emporium also has my attention big time right now.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    pete12string likes this.
  15. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

Hey guys, I just received my 50 watt British series (Marshall 2204 style). I was one of the last to order one. It's a really good sounding amp. The 2204 is my absolute favorite circuit, and I have 2 Marshal examples. The Carol Ann has a bit more gain available, and a great FX loop. I run mine with the gain relatively low, and boost it with a pedal. Sounds really awesome. It has a great master volume as well, and is much more bedroom friendly than an actual 2204.

16. DiPa

Is it the same as the CA 78-50H ?

17. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

You have a purple small box that sounds great IIRC. Good to hear the CA stacks up well! I wound up grabbing a 67-50H a few months ago. Cool amps.

18. apieceofliquid

apieceofliquid Member

[​IMG]
    Just picked up what I’m guessing is the last new Tuc 3 at Austin Guitar House. Met Pete Thorn at his clinic there today as well. It’s been a good day.

This amp checks every box. I’m new here but went through hundreds of pages of this thread, and I want to thank all of
    you for the detailed input you’ve left over the years. It was all much needed perspective for making my decision. Ray and Brent at AGH we’re super helpful as well.

I hope Alan finds the right outlet to keep his designs alive. His stuff is just way too good.

fretnot, amphog, glenngross and 5 others like this.
  19. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

Yep! It sure is.

Thanks man! Yep, that's me with the purple Marshall. They both sound great. I can use either and be totally happy.

pete12string and eigentone like this.
  20. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Nice. :) Hope it was worth the wait. I was eyeing the 78-50H when they were available.

You'll have to thank @Miroslav L for his help -- did you see the back story on these last 78-50Hs come up a few pages ago?

pete12string likes this.