Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Miroslav L

If those folks that PMd me don’t want to air their complaints, well who could blame them? Your attitude here is exactly what they are trying to avoid. The difference between them and me is I don’t care about how you see me, or anyone else for that matter.

You are completely overlooking that Alan’s own dealer has paid for an amp that was never received. I get it, you dig the amps. I do too. My Triptik 2 was a killer amp. Truly. But it just made me sick to look at, knowing what I know about how things went down.
Oh really...so people have complaints, but they won't post them because of me? :facepalm
Maybe you're missing the real reason...maybe some people don't think that THIS is the place to air individual complaints.
Oh...and I don't care that you don't care. There, now we're even on that score. :rolleyes:

And what do you REALLY know? There's always two sides to every story...and since you are impersonating a lawyer here, you should know that.
I also know some of the behind the scenes "dealer" stuff...and I'm not sold yet on who did what exactly.
TBH, having a dealer come into this thread to vent, is kinda weird....but hey, it's an open, public thread.

So while CA was in business...everyone was happily "suffering" through endless issues and complaints, but now it's time to let it all out and pile on, even if you have nothing to do with CA amps anymore...?

Well, I guess my presence and defense of Alan isn't keeping people away as much as you imply...rather it seems people who have no business with CA amps are now piling on...talking about past history and using that to argue present day points, which TBH will only sour things that much more for the handful of people who ARE still patiently waiting on Alan to fulfill his final orders. Yeah, you really are making a "positive" difference. Thanks for your effort.

In Absentia

Oh really...so people have complaints, but they won't post them because of me? :facepalm
Maybe you're missing the real reason...maybe some people don't think that THIS is the place to air individual complaints.
Oh...and I don't care that you don't care. There, now we're even on that score. :rolleyes:

And what do you REALLY know? There's always two sides to every story...and since you are impersonating a lawyer here, you should know that.
I also know some of the behind the scenes "dealer" stuff...and I'm not sold yet on who did what exactly.
TBH, having a dealer come into this thread to vent, is kinda weird....but hey, it's an open, public thread.

So while CA was in business...everyone was happily "suffering" through endless issues and complaints, but now it's time to let it all out and pile on, even if you have nothing to do with CA amps anymore...?

Well, I guess my presence and defense of Alan isn't keeping people away as much as you imply...rather it seems people who have no business with CA amps are now piling on...talking about past history and using that to argue present day points, which TBH will only sour things that much more for the handful of people who ARE still patiently waiting on Alan to fulfill his final orders. Yeah, you really are making a "positive" difference. Thanks for your effort.
Sorry not sorry that this is so upsetting to you. Your investment in CA and Alan is confusing. Your attitude is an example of exactly why folks have not mentioned anything in this thread. Because you are such a fanatic about the brand, that you are defending Alan without knowing the details of what has gone down. You can’t see, or refuse to see, the issues that have occurred. That’s on you. Your assertion that the complaints have no merit because they happened in the past is patently ridiculous. And they are ongoing issues, not just past issues. But, please, don’t get up from your Altar of Alan on my account. Some folks are happy being ignorant of the issues, and nothing I can say is gonna take those blinders off your eyes.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Gold Supporting Member
Oh
You were saying that all of these comments were bringing the thread down. I’m asking if it would have been better to start a new thread with the aforementioned thread title.
Oh I see, sorry I missed your meaning initially. You know I am sorry you and a couple guys went through those issues, I am a player as well and would not want that to happen to anyone. But I thought Alan has addressed each and everyone, has not closed everything yet is clear, but is working slowly through each one. So instead of dragging the beautiful CA thread and amps down, I was saying that why not do this privately, it’s been made public here, so folk know about it, but maybe it’s now time to continue privately, that’s all.

davidespinosa

Supporting Member
And they are ongoing issues, not just past issues.
Alan seems like a stand-up, hard-working guy.
He's made it clear that he intends to deliver everything eventually.

You're welcome to post a list of stuff that he owes people.
Then he can deliver stuff, you can check it off the list, and everybody can calm down.

Nobody needs melodrama -- people just need stuff that's been paid for.
And @Carol-AnnAmps -- if you want to cancel unpaid items, or refund money, you can do that.
There's no point in your building anything that you don't want to build.

My interest: I think Alan is one of the good guys, and I'd like to see him happily building amps, even if it's just a couple a year.

Mikeroesoft

I had Alan tell me for 79 days he was fixing a pot on my amp, and he lied about it every time. I still have the post I was gonna post and decided not to. He told me when i set it up that it’d take 10 minutes to fix and he’d send it back in a couple of weeks. It took 3 months before I received it, multiple ignored emails, tracking down his phone number after he removed it from his site (which happened the day he received the amp), other folks contacting Alan on my behalf. It was always an excuse, phone calls with more promises. I know of 5 people that have either requested refunds, paid for amps that weren’t received, or speakers that weren’t received. Those are just the ones that reached out to me when I was having my issues. I saved every single communication I sent, and every one I received in kind (not much).

If others decide to tell you their experiences, that’s on them to do so. But my own experience was enough. I gave multiple chances. I loved the amps, but the CS was weak.

Honestly, YOU are the one that defends him and the company every time it comes up. No one can say anything without you turning into a “white knight” for Alan. It’s getting tiring. Again, it’s cool if you dig the brand and like Alan, but your experiences don’t reflect the experiences of those who have felt burned. And no, I’m done with CA and the brand. I was done when my last CA left my house. I haven’t been here that regularly since. I’ve held my tongue for a year on what I know.
My experiences with Alan sometimes lacked communication. I don’t think leaving people hanging is cool in any way shape or form. So I’m not here to condone that. I say this without trying to sound like a jerk, but it sounds like you were contacting him every day looking for an update....how would you expect him to get anything done? You had other people contact him on your behalf?

In Absentia

My experiences with Alan sometimes lacked communication. I don’t think leaving people hanging is cool in any way shape or form. So I’m not here to condone that. I say this without trying to sound like a jerk, but it sounds like you were contacting him everyday looking for an update....how would you expect him to get anything done? You had other people contact him on your behalf?
I did not contact him everyday or anywhere near it. I contacted him a handful of times. Once the first week just to make sure he got the amp. Then, a month later. Then, someone contacted Alan without my direction via Facebook. Then, a few times after that.

EDIT: I sent Alan 3 e-mails, 1 Facebook Message, and 3 phone calls over 3 months. He was contacted by a friend once.

Miroslav L

Sorry not sorry that this is so upsetting to you. Your investment in CA and Alan is confusing. Your attitude is an example of exactly why folks have not mentioned anything in this thread. Because you are such a fanatic about the brand, that you are defending Alan without knowing the details of what has gone down. You can’t see, or refuse to see, the issues that have occurred. That’s on you. Your assertion that the complaints have no merit because they happened in the past is patently ridiculous. And they are ongoing issues, not just past issues. But, please, don’t get up from your Altar of Alan on my account. Some folks are happy being ignorant of the issues, and nothing I can say is gonna take those blinders off your eyes.
Upsetting to me...? :D
You're that one who no longer owns any CA amps, that is doing all the whining here...the one who got so upset over a 3-month wait, that he decided to sell off his CA amps even while all the time saying how great they are. :facepalm
Now THAT's what I call upset.

This thing about customer service...do you expect it to be for your lifetime when you buy something?
What about the great amp builders who have passed away...why do people still lust after and buy their amps when there is ZERO chance of customer service?
Selling off what you consider are great amps because of a 3 month wait, and/or some fear that they would lose value, or who would service them 5-10 years down to road...is kinda paranoid, but hey, I guess when you are upset enough, you do those things.

AFA knowing details...you must have a crystal ball, because I think you THINK you know all the details, but really, you're just cherry picking those that fit your upset state of mind.

Now excuse me while I go light a candle at my altar...because I am quite fanatical about CA amps and will hold onto to them no matter what, since they fulfilled a long-time quest. I'm certainly not going to sell them off just because I'm still waiting on one more CA amp to be built.

Miroslav L

Alan seems like a stand-up, hard-working guy.
He's made it clear that he intends to deliver everything eventually.

You're welcome to post a list of stuff that he owes people.
Then he can deliver stuff, you can check it off the list, and everybody can calm down.

Nobody needs melodrama -- people just need stuff that's been paid for.
And @Carol-AnnAmps -- if you want to cancel unpaid items, or refund money, you can do that.
There's no point in your building anything that you don't want to build.

My interest: I think Alan is one of the good guys, and I'd like to see him happily building amps, even if it's just a couple a year.
I offered Alan the option of NOT building my OD3 Ultra, if it was going to be burden to him.
I know a couple of other people were saying they would be OK with backing out of their orders.
Alan asked that people stick it out and eventually he was going to make good.

I'm giving him that opportunity. I'm not sitting on the edge of my chair because I just gotta have that Ultra right away...etc. I have plenty of amps to play with, so whenever it comes, it will be good.
Alan can still choose to ask me not have to build the amp if it's too much of a burden...and I wouldn't get upset about it. I don't want it to be a forced thing...and he knows that.

In Absentia

Upsetting to me...? :D
You're that one who no longer owns any CA amps, that is doing all the whining here...the one who got so upset over a 3-month wait, that he decided to sell off his CA amps even while all the time saying how great they are. :facepalm
Now THAT's what I call upset.

This thing about customer service...do you expect it to be for your lifetime when you buy something?
What about the great amp builders who have passed away...why do people still lust after and buy their amps when there is ZERO chance of customer service?
Selling off what you consider are great amps because of a 3 month wait, and/or some fear that they would lose value, or who would service them 5-10 years down to road...is kinda paranoid, but hey, I guess when you are upset enough, you do those things.

AFA knowing details...you must have a crystal ball, because I think you THINK you know all the details, but really, you're just cherry picking those that fit your upset state of mind.

Now excuse me while I go light a candle at my altar...because I am quite fanatical about CA amps and will hold onto to them no matter what, since they fulfilled a long-time quest. I'm certainly not going to sell them off because I'm still waiting on one more CA amp to be built.
You’re *******ed right I was upset. ****** customer service has that effect on him. Don’t turn your self-righteous indignation on me because you like the way his boots taste. You’re butthurt because someone doesn’t love your favorite amps.

How long did I expect my customer service? I’d say the year warranty period was about what I expected. But I didn’t receive good customer service. Sorry that burst your bubble. It wasn’t the three month wait; it was 3 months of outright lies. I didn’t expect anything outside of my warranty period. I traded the amp to a guy that was concerned over Alan’s BS. I told him that it was outside of warranty, so lucky for him, he didn’t have to deal with Alan’s BS. Amp was a great amp. Truly.

It’s truly laughable you think you know what I’m talking about concerning Alan’s BS lies (unless you’re Alan’s buddy and he feeds you this BS personally). I’ve got pages of PMs, but it is against forum rules to post them.

I have a feeling you’ll never see your amp. Enjoy your CA amps. I’m sure your tone will be great. But I have more integrity than to be a bootlicker for a defunct and dying amp brand.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Gold Supporting Member
I believe @In Absentia had a very bad experience, and we should acknowledge that, not resist him, I think Alan is the one who has to reach out to him and apologize cause sounds like this ain’t going away, but hopefully this ends up into a private conversation. Man I love my 2 CA amps and just wish I had gotten to the 78-50H earlier and bought it.

Miroslav L

You’re butthurt because someone doesn’t love your favorite amps.
You REALLY think that would bother me? :D
Of course...you've already admitted that you loved the CA amps and stated how great they were...so nothing there for me to even be butt hurt about.
Check your butt...'cuz you're still crying about something that happened awhile ago...and you no longer even have any CA amps to be so "concerned" about.

So first I was the "white knight"...and now I'm the "bootlicker". :p
Well...I know when someone resorts to name calling, they've already lost the argument.

Miroslav L

I believe @In Absentia had a very bad experience, and we should acknowledge that, not resist him, I think Alan is the one who has to reach out to him and apologize cause sounds like this ain’t going away, but hopefully this ends up into a private conversation. Man I love my 2 CA amps and just wish I had gotten to the 78-50H earlier and bought it.
Well...if this is about someone needing an apology to satisfy his upset...he sure is going about it the wrong way.

In Absentia

Well...if this is about someone needing an apology to satisfy his upset...he sure is going about it the wrong way.
Honestly, I’m not even bothered for myself, but for the other gents I know.

Look, allow me to apologize for any insults I levied against you. I really have nothing against you and have enjoyed many of our interactions in the past. I do stand by what I’ve said regarding the facts. Folks may ignore or heed those facts. It seriously doesn’t matter, one way or another.

Let me tell you why it bothered me so much. I felt very strongly about how great Alan’s amps are, and when stuff went downhill, I WAS let down. I spent a lot of cash on what I considered the be the pinnacle of customer service and build quality. I bragged to friends about the size of this thread and how many great CS stories there were within. I showed my amp off to anyone willing to listen. If I would have known it took 3 months, I’d have been MORE than happy to have it fixed locally or have my father change the pot over for me. Alan told me to send it in. When Henry Ford wants to look at your Model T, you let him take a look.

Miroslav L

Let me tell you why it bothered me so much. I felt very strongly about how great Alan’s amps are, and when stuff went downhill, I WAS let down.
Let down by what...that it took 3 months to get your amp back, or that he decided to close down the CA business...?
For the 3 month wait, sorry...I just don't think it's THAT big a deal for you to be THAT let down, that you then turn around and sell off you CA amps...?
I waited 6 months for a modification on my Revo...some are still waiting...but while I do agree the wait is sometimes frustrating, I just don't feel "let down" by Alan in any way. I mean...how has he let me down because I waited a bit longer.
Honestly...I think maybe you just have unrealistic expectations of the type of fast turnaround, customer service a sole boutique builder is able to provide.
That said...when I got my amp back, it was fantastic sounding...and it cost me nothing.
I know other people here who wanted mods to upgrade their amp to a new version...and Alan simply swapped a brand new model for theirs. That's pretty damn good CS!
What kind of service were you really expecting? Three months is not something most guys would concern themselves over when it comes to boutique amps.

If you were let down by the closing of CA amp biz...well, TBH, I think every CA owner felt a bit sad about that, but I would not say "let down". Him closing the biz doesn't make me feel like I've been let down...it's got nothing to do with me. Yeah, I own a bunch of CA amps...but I still do, even with the biz gone, nothing has changed for me about the amps...but apparently it has for you.

I mean, Alan has a life too, and I don't think he ever agreed to keep the business going until it met everyone's expectations, into infinity.
I just think for the number of amps he has built...the number of very satisfied customers he has had and still has...that what's being presented in this thread is so minimal, but of course, for the individual, it gets so magnified, and is made to look like Alan was always some hack shyster, with lots of people complaining and him not caring.

Let it go already...you don't have the amps, and your issue was resolved.
AFA anyone else here that has a gripe...let them vent it. You're using their cases anonymously, to boost your own reasons for griping...and making the whole thing look 10 times worse than it was or is.
I don't want to argue with you or anyone...but allow me the right NOT to feel "let down" or to have the need to pile on here in some negative way endlessly.
By all means...if you still have issues with CA amps or Alan...go ahead and call him, he provided his personal cell number a couple of time. Complain directly to him as much and in any way you feel is warranted...but don't complain for others, and let's not turn this thread into some endless bitch session over a small number of actual complaints.

Mikeroesoft

I did not contact him everyday or anywhere near it. I contacted him a handful of times. Once the first week just to make sure he got the amp. Then, a month later. Then, someone contacted Alan without my direction via Facebook. Then, a few times after that.

EDIT: I sent Alan 3 e-mails, 1 Facebook Message, and 3 phone calls over 3 months. He was contacted by a friend once.
I guess the problem here is that your expectations weren’t in line with what Alan could provide in terms of customer service. Some people are okay with the wait and others become quite anxious. I don’t know your story but it doesn’t sound all that uncommon in this business. About 10 years ago, I had a G&L Bluesboy that had a defective truss rod. I sent the guitar to G&L and it took them
11 months to get the guitar a new neck and ship it back to me!

Irreversal

I guess the problem here is that your expectations weren’t in line with what Alan could provide in terms of customer service. Some people are okay with the wait and others become quite anxious. I don’t know your story but it doesn’t sound all that uncommon in this business. About 10 years ago, I had a G&L Bluesboy that had a defective truss rod. I sent the guitar to G&L and it took them
It's a shame that this is really the only industry where this type of behavior is tolerated.

If someone has my money, my guitar or my amp for three plus months with crap communi, they're getting an in person visit from me regardless of where I have to travel to. Guaranteed.

And now those Carol Ann's on Reverb that were going for pennies on the dollar will sell for even less.

In Absentia

My only expectation was not to be lied to about it repeatedly, not the length it took to get the amp back. I’ll
let others say what they’re gonna say, and folks may see that my own issue was an aberration.

Trending Topics