Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Miroslav L

2- To @Miroslav_L
You've been an ardent supporter of Alan's, and I think that's great. I would like to offer one bit of personal perspective, though. Earlier in this thread I mentioned Fat Sound Guitars. Many here are well aware of what a disastrous episode that proved to be as the business faltered. Stu Carter (owner of FSG) was - and is - a close friend of mine. As things were unfolding, I defended him unwaveringly on TGP. Unfortunately, I had to go back and eat quite a bit of public crow when it became obvious that I had been very myopic in my defense of Stu. So, you might want to let defense of Alan stand on Alan's actions. If he's the guy you say he is (and I believe he is), then he will eventually make good on everything he's committed to.
Not knowing all the small details of the Fat Sound Guitars episode (and no need to get into it, I'm OK not knowing)...but just based on the little I do know, I don't think it's comparable to Alan's situation with Carol Ann amps.
He has been very open about his intentions with the biz...he has posted here a good deal of details, including some personal things that many people would never openly reveal, about how deep he had to go financially to keep the CA biz going...and lastly, from all the discussion and the noted "people in waiting", it's really down to a handful of unfinished items, and even now, in his announcement on the CA website, he has again clearly stated that he will complete all orders and fulfill any outstanding warranty issues.

So TBH...I don' t expect (and never have) that I would at any point be "eating crow" over my defense of Alan.
I've already said that even if I ended up being somewhat wrong about anything with my defense, it will not sit badly on my conscience because it's based on my own experience and exchanges with Alan (all positive so far)...and not on what someone said to someone about what they heard from someone else...and all offline...etc.
I'm not worried about Alan, I'm just waiting on my orders... and I think too many people are overly worried about things that have mostly had to do with the long wait for a few of us, and nothing to do with anyone getting burned/ripped-off by Alan.

Eventually I expect to see my OD3 Ultra build show up...and one of those speakers too. :)

Miroslav L

Isn’t Humbucker Music waiting on an amp they have paid for?
Yeah...it's been covered a couple of times here...and their last amp is apparently getting built.
They were waiting on two, I believe, and one they got recently.
This was nothing unknown or unexpected...everyone was pretty much told that things were going to be slower and take much more time over the last several months...once the CA biz was no longer running full-time.

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
Isn’t Humbucker Music waiting on an amp they have paid for?
For the record, we still have one owed to us. It's been paid in full for some time now (August 18th, 2017), and Alan hasn't responded to our emails in a while. Same for the last 67-18. We've done our best to avoid airing such publicly, but we may be at the point where it just needs to be said. Hopefully he'll see this post and understand the urgency. :dunno

Brian
Yes.

Carol-AnnAmps

I don’t believe he was referring to me in his post.

Oh man, I'm sorry things didn't go as planned and I take responsibility for that. I have never intentionally lied to anyone including you. I do understand your frustration and accept full responsibility. Major apologies.
I do have a habit of giving well intentioned time lines then life gets in the way and I do forget to communicate at times, then days go in to weeks. I totally get it !!

Just call me. I will return legitimate messages within a few days. Again my cell is six zero three five six zero nine four five six. Thats not CA amps, thats my personal cell.

There is no point with anyone attacking Humbucker Music. They are waiting on an amp too. That's not their fault. I spoke with Jake today so he knows the situation. So what if we didn't promote the British Series effectively at this point, no-one can change that now. Both myself and HB equally accept our parts in that.

For the record as far as my records show there are 3 outstanding amplifiers to personal buyers, one upgrade, the 78-50, two orders on the books NOT pre-paid in any way and 10 speakers 8 of which are prepaid. Forums have a habit of exaggerating things. So there's the info I have. This is not a Fat Sounds situation AT ALL !!!!! I am not in any legal or financial mess or have any mental illness. Burned out from ****** amplifiers, yes, put way more out there than ever got in return , yes........but I'm not ripping off anyone.

I have a full time job now and if I didn't CA would have personally bankrupted me. It was that bad and everyone on here would be fighting over scraps, me and my family being the worst hit of all. But I didn't do that, I don't just give up and I'm not that proud I would jeopardize everything I have achieved. I did the right thing, I moved on to be able to recoup some level of life and be able to hold up the business at some miniscule level until a point no warranties were left. Did it work out exactly as planned, no, but I'm still here and still working on it whenever I can. You have my personal contact details. I do return calls for legitimate things. If you leave a message about a 2009 OD2 foot switch that's broke......then no I'm probably not going to deal with it, there a gazillion amp techs that can do that and probably would appreciate the income, but if you have an amp on order, I do at least try to get back within a few days.
The part none of you see....Currently, I inject up to $2000 a month in to a business hemorrhaging money just to try to get everything cleared up as well as honor those warranties. some of that money has been used to refund some people because they got to the point that they didn't want to wait. But the amount of funding is limited by my personal income, the business earns nothing. Refund is an option for anyone and I have considered getting personal funding to just draw a line under it and close it entirely, whats the difference paying out for a loan versus injecting thousands back in ? .....but is that what I and you want, ultimately ? However, my biggest killer is time, not enough of it.
A recent out of the blue skin disease on my hands has hampered me for a couple weeks. It is starting to clear, thankfully, but I couldn't even grip a screwdriver, m, both hands were covered in blisters like burn blisters that were incredibly painful. I'm also dealing with a massive identity theft issue has just sucked up so much time as any of you who have been through that would know .....bearing in mind on top of this I work 50 + hours a week and commute 2 hours every day.
You can't expect good old Alan levels of service like its 2010 living and breathing amps. Its not. Let me stress again if it was my only job I would 100% be bankrupt and how does that help anyone ?

The issue is everyone wants everything at the same time and that's just not possible. I totally get it however. I'm the same myself on things at times too.

Let me ask a favor, if you have anything outstanding right now and we haven't spoke in the last 2 weeks please send me an email alan.phillips@carolannamps.com. I will respond and make sure we at least have a dialogue to start with.

Please remember before Sept 2018 you had 14 years of my undivided attention and fast response. Please bear that in mind before crapping all over me because I'm just trying to ensure ultimately no-one loses anything and I am fully aware of my failings in communication. That probably won't ever be stellar, but I will try to improve it. However, I HAVE NOT DISAPPEARED !!!

Apologies to everyone I have affected by my change of life priorities and the decisions I had to make over the past year. Sincerely, Alan.

BearBryan

Oh man, I'm sorry things didn't go as planned and I take responsibility for that. I have never intentionally lied to anyone including you. I do understand your frustration and accept full responsibility. Major apologies.
I do have a habit of giving well intentioned time lines then life gets in the way and I do forget to communicate at times, then days go in to weeks. I totally get it !!

Just call me. I will return legitimate messages within a few days. Again my cell is six zero three five six zero nine four five six. Thats not CA amps, thats my personal cell.

There is no point with anyone attacking Humbucker Music. They are waiting on an amp too. That's not their fault. I spoke with Jake today so he knows the situation. So what if we didn't promote the British Series effectively at this point, no-one can change that now. Both myself and HB equally accept our parts in that.

For the record as far as my records show there are 3 outstanding amplifiers to personal buyers, one upgrade, the 78-50, two orders on the books NOT pre-paid in any way and 10 speakers 8 of which are prepaid. Forums have a habit of exaggerating things. So there's the info I have. This is not a Fat Sounds situation AT ALL !!!!! I am not in any legal or financial mess or have any mental illness. Burned out from ****** amplifiers, yes, put way more out there than ever got in return , yes........but I'm not ripping off anyone.

I have a full time job now and if I didn't CA would have personally bankrupted me. It was that bad and everyone on here would be fighting over scraps, me and my family being the worst hit of all. But I didn't do that, I don't just give up and I'm not that proud I would jeopardize everything I have achieved. I did the right thing, I moved on to be able to recoup some level of life and be able to hold up the business at some miniscule level until a point no warranties were left. Did it work out exactly as planned, no, but I'm still here and still working on it whenever I can. You have my personal contact details. I do return calls for legitimate things. If you leave a message about a 2009 OD2 foot switch that's broke......then no I'm probably not going to deal with it, there a gazillion amp techs that can do that and probably would appreciate the income, but if you have an amp on order, I do at least try to get back within a few days.
The part none of you see....Currently, I inject up to $2000 a month in to a business hemorrhaging money just to try to get everything cleared up as well as honor those warranties. some of that money has been used to refund some people because they got to the point that they didn't want to wait. But the amount of funding is limited by my personal income, the business earns nothing. Refund is an option for anyone and I have considered getting personal funding to just draw a line under it and close it entirely, whats the difference paying out for a loan versus injecting thousands back in ? .....but is that what I and you want, ultimately ? However, my biggest killer is time, not enough of it.
A recent out of the blue skin disease on my hands has hampered me for a couple weeks. It is starting to clear, thankfully, but I couldn't even grip a screwdriver, m, both hands were covered in blisters like burn blisters that were incredibly painful. I'm also dealing with a massive identity theft issue has just sucked up so much time as any of you who have been through that would know .....bearing in mind on top of this I work 50 + hours a week and commute 2 hours every day.
You can't expect good old Alan levels of service like its 2010 living and breathing amps. Its not. Let me stress again if it was my only job I would 100% be bankrupt and how does that help anyone ?

The issue is everyone wants everything at the same time and that's just not possible. I totally get it however. I'm the same myself on things at times too.

Let me ask a favor, if you have anything outstanding right now and we haven't spoke in the last 2 weeks please send me an email alan.phillips@carolannamps.com. I will respond and make sure we at least have a dialogue to start with.

Please remember before Sept 2018 you had 14 years of my undivided attention and fast response. Please bear that in mind before crapping all over me because I'm just trying to ensure ultimately no-one loses anything and I am fully aware of my failings in communication. That probably won't ever be stellar, but I will try to improve it. However, I HAVE NOT DISAPPEARED !!!

Apologies to everyone I have affected by my change of life priorities and the decisions I had to make over the past year. Sincerely, Alan.
:beer Here's to hopefully enjoying life again. It's too short not to.

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
I need to clarify something regarding the Fat Sound comment, since I'm the one who made it. The only thing in common is that businesses failed in very public fashion on TGP. Actually, that's not the only thing in common. The other thing in common is that both businesses were run by quality guys I'd still go to bat for in a minute. The reason for the reference is that - when the FSG flameout took place on TGP - I vehemently defended Stu (a personal friend) to the point that I started attacking anyone who attacked him. I still stand by my friend, but I also needed to publicly apologize to some folks against whom I'd retaliated a bit harshly. It looked for a minute like this thread might have been headed in the same direction between a couple valued members, and I wanted to share of my own experience/regrets with the hopes that it would not reach that level here. That's all.

It's really hard to be accurately understood in a medium such as this. Well-intentioned comments quickly get taken out of context or are slightly misunderstood, and - before you know it - it's WWIII. If I've in any way contributed to that, then I sincerely apologize. As I said earlier, this thread has always stood out for me as one that operated "above the fray" so common in other threads. Speaking for myself, I think we're all grieving the loss of Carol-Ann as a readily available brand, even if we're truly happy for Alan's finding a much better work-life balance.

Miroslav L

Oh man, I'm sorry things didn't go as planned...
Hey Alan...I know you are truly sorry for the waiting some have experienced, but I also know that it's been a rough ride the last year or so for you.
Really appreciate you stopping by here and taking some heat, but also for setting some things straight that were getting pretty exaggerated or maybe not clear to some folks.

I am pretty sure I'm one of the 3 personal buyers waiting on a new build you are referring to...and I know you and I have talked about my OD3 Ultra build a few times now...but I will gladly email you again just to refresh our conversation... ...and of course, if you are still willing to build it, I am willing to wait for it.

Miroslav L

I vehemently defended Stu (a personal friend) to the point that I started attacking anyone who attacked him. I still stand by my friend, but I also needed to publicly apologize to some folks against whom I'd retaliated a bit harshly. It looked for a minute like this thread might have been headed in the same direction between a couple valued members...
Well...I'm pretty sure I wasn't "attacking" anyone...and quite the opposite, I felt like I was being attacked for defending Alan...but it's water under the bridge now that we seen Alan's announcement and his last post above...so pretty much I think everyone's questions and concerns addressed for the time being....and if not, Alan said to call him directly.

So I think we should let it go now, and I don't believe there should be any continued animosity between any of use here. Some things got vented, some things got sorted out, and we've all gotten some clarity directly from Alan...so let's go with that. :)

Krausewitz

For what it's worth Alan offered me a refund back in June after a long series of lies and obfuscations regarding an amp I paid for in full back in October 2018 (I can provide a detailed account if you like, but it would take a long time and is no longer really relevant). I still have not had that refund. Here is a recount of the process (all lies in italics, for clarity):

Thursday, June 20th: Alan offers a refund to be paid on two installments of $1,200 each on 24 June and 24 July

Friday, July 5: I write to Alan noting that no refund has come in. Note that he has not tried to contact me in the meantime in any way to say that there has been a problem or that there will be a delay.

Tuesday, July 9: Alan claims to have had technical difficulties with the payment and asks me to send him a new invoice which allows for partial payments (partial payments of a partial refund, mind you....now two weeks late).

Friday, July 12: After hearing nothing I write to Alan again to ask if he has had some difficulties with the refund.

Saturday, July 13: Alan writes back saying: "I sent $1000. Amex wouldn’t let me send anymore in one shot for some reason. I tried $1200 and it kicked it back, but $1000 worked.."

Now, if this is true (and it does not strike me as remotely true), then surely he could have sent a further $200 in a separate transaction? Right? Also, Alan performed the payment in such a way via Paypal that I had to pay the entirety of the payment and currency exchange fees to go from USD to GBP. The initial Paypal fee was $44, and the famously unfavourable Paypal exchange rate meant that I ultimately received back £747.96, over £60 less than I should have (which means, multiplied over the whole cost of the amp it would cost me about £150 just to receive the refund....even though Alan could have used Paypal gift or Transferwire, which I suggested, to substantially reduce, if not eliminate, any fees I would have had to pay).

Sunday, July 14. Bastille Day.: Alan writes back after I offer suggestions on ways to cut down on the fees I face. He ignores them, but says "On the plus side, I have got a guy that is taking the amp when its built, but I am certainly not going to take money from him until I have it finished. If that happens in the next month, I should be able to do a wire transfer the rest once I have it. Sorry for the frustration here, I appreciate that you understand my situation with the business and the rationale why I had to stop the full time business."

This is a nice sentiment, but seemingly never happened, so it hardly affects me.

From July to September I send a long series of emails asking for the rest of the refund. Most of them go unanswered until the recent post made by @HumbuckerMusic (thank you!)

Friday, August 23: Alan writes saying that the refund "Should be good in about 2 weeks when I get paid.". (note this was 1 month ago)

Tuesday, September 17: I write to Alan: "It's now been a month. Any hope of repayment?"

Saturday, September 21: Alan writes back, after Humbucker Music made their post: "Yes Sir, will make a payment in the next 2 days. I got paid yesterday."

Monday, September 23: Me: "Dear Alan, Just double-checking that this will go through today."

Monday, September 23: Alan: "Tomorrow. It should Just dealing with an identity theft situation. Someone opened up 4 credit cards and attempted to get a mortgage (seriously) against my name. I’ve spent literally 14 hours in total on the phone. This sucks."

(This is plainly bollocks, but whatever. How long does it take to fulfill a months-overdo refund?)

Wednesday, September 24:
Me: "Dear Alan,
Sorry to hear about that!
I look forward to receiving the refund today.
All the best,"

So far, no response. I don't think I'm being unreasonable and now have only the hope that public pressure will convince the 'stand-up guy' to actually fulfill the refund that was promised months ago. Right now he still owes me $1,400. Taking this public is my second-to-last hope before I have to step up and make things legal, which I desperately do not want to do. Fortunately I have been assiduous in keeping and organizing all our communications and exchanges which will make any necessary legal action relatively straightforward. Alan's desire to discuss things over the phone, a method which leaves no paper trail, does not appeal to me and I will not contact him via phone under any circumstances.

Alan, for the love of God, do the right thing and give me my money back. I've been more than patient. No more excuses. Pay me.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
For what it's worth Alan offered me a refund back in June after a long series of lies and obfuscations regarding an amp I paid for in full back in October 2018 (I can provide a detailed account if you like, but it would take a long time and is no longer really relevant). I still have not had that refund. Here is a recount of the process (all lies in italics, for clarity):

Thursday, June 20th: Alan offers a refund to be paid on two installments of $1,200 each on 24 June and 24 July

Friday, July 5: I write to Alan noting that no refund has come in. Note that he has not tried to contact me in the meantime in any way to say that there has been a problem or that there will be a delay.

Tuesday, July 9: Alan claims to have had technical difficulties with the payment and asks me to send him a new invoice which allows for partial payments (partial payments of a partial refund, mind you....now two weeks late).

Friday, July 12: After hearing nothing I write to Alan again to ask if he has had some difficulties with the refund.

Saturday, July 13: Alan writes back saying: "I sent $1000. Amex wouldn’t let me send anymore in one shot for some reason. I tried $1200 and it kicked it back, but $1000 worked.."

Now, if this is true (and it does not strike me as remotely true), then surely he could have sent a further $200 in a separate transaction? Right? Also, Alan performed the payment in such a way via Paypal that I had to pay the entirety of the payment and currency exchange fees to go from USD to GBP. The initial Paypal fee was $44, and the famously unfavourable Paypal exchange rate meant that I ultimately received back £747.96, over £60 less than I should have (which means, multiplied over the whole cost of the amp it would cost me about £150 just to receive the refund....even though Alan could have used Paypal gift or Transferwire, which I suggested, to substantially reduce, if not eliminate, any fees I would have had to pay).

Sunday, July 14. Bastille Day.: Alan writes back after I offer suggestions on ways to cut down on the fees I face. He ignores them, but says "On the plus side, I have got a guy that is taking the amp when its built, but I am certainly not going to take money from him until I have it finished. If that happens in the next month, I should be able to do a wire transfer the rest once I have it. Sorry for the frustration here, I appreciate that you understand my situation with the business and the rationale why I had to stop the full time business."

This is a nice sentiment, but seemingly never happened, so it hardly affects me.

From July to September I send a long series of emails asking for the rest of the refund. Most of them go unanswered until the recent post made by @HumbuckerMusic (thank you!)

Friday, August 23: Alan writes saying that the refund "Should be good in about 2 weeks when I get paid.". (note this was 1 month ago)

Tuesday, September 17: I write to Alan: "It's now been a month. Any hope of repayment?"

Saturday, September 21: Alan writes back, after Humbucker Music made their post: "Yes Sir, will make a payment in the next 2 days. I got paid yesterday."

Monday, September 23: Me: "Dear Alan, Just double-checking that this will go through today."

Monday, September 23: Alan: "Tomorrow. It should Just dealing with an identity theft situation. Someone opened up 4 credit cards and attempted to get a mortgage (seriously) against my name. I’ve spent literally 14 hours in total on the phone. This sucks."

(This is plainly bollocks, but whatever. How long does it take to fulfill a months-overdo refund?)

Wednesday, September 24:
All the best,"

So far, no response. I don't think I'm being unreasonable and now have only the hope that public pressure will convince the 'stand-up guy' to actually fulfill the refund that was promised months ago. Right now he still owes me $1,400. Taking this public is my second-to-last hope before I have to step up and make things legal, which I desperately do not want to do. Fortunately I have been assiduous in keeping and organizing all our communications and exchanges which will make any necessary legal action relatively straightforward. Alan's desire to discuss things over the phone, a method which leaves no paper trail, does not appeal to me and I will not contact him via phone under any circumstances.

Alan, for the love of God, do the right thing and give me my money back. I've been more than patient. No more excuses. Pay me.
Damn, that sucks! He’s been active the past couple of days in the shutdown thread.

I know someone else who paid in full on good faith (after Alan begging for remainder after the deposit) like a year ago and still doesn’t have the amp

Miroslav L

Wednesday, September 24:
All the best,"

Yes...I remember your previous posts earlier this summer, and if I recall, that's when you completely decided that you didn't want to wait on the amp build...although it was my understanding you kinda changed your mind because you didn't like how the amp looked...?...but regardless...so to summarize your blow-by-blow account above, since that time, you received $1000 (right?)...and you're waiting on the balance ($1400 right?).

Well, I think then like those of us who are still waiting on our orders, and some people on their repairs, mods and speakers...it sounds to me like Alan is going to cover all obligations, and I would assume that includes the balance of your refund.

TBH...calling or emailing someone every two days, and getting that much more upset because you don't get responses every couple of days to each call or email...well, it's your choice, but I tend to feel that pounding on an already unpleasant situation rarely makes it better...but I get it, you are eager to get your money back...as we all are to get our amps built.
That said...I think in his recent post and even in previous ones...Alan has mentioned how much the CA biz put him in the hole financially...so it looks like he is now covering that from the paychecks of his new job...
...which I'm sure isn't as simple as those who are waiting on the receiving end can imagine...or in some cases, care about.

At any rate...I would be surprised if you never get your $1400 balance paid to you.
Yeah...a bit of a wait...but I'm sure Alan will make good.

I know someone else who paid in full on good faith (after Alan begging for remainder after the deposit) like a year ago and still doesn’t have the amp
Yes...but he and the rest of us are also not asking for any refunds...rather we are waiting for the amps, so it's just the extended wait, which has been explained enough times here.

Do you need any more butter?

If you're just looking for more show ...you should go to the "CA shutdown" thread...there's a lot of folks there who have never seen or played a Carol Ann amp...but they are full of comments...you know, the typical TGP stuff.

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
Unfortunately, as we've seen before here, the light doesn't always come. I always want to believe the best in everyone too, and I feel the same where Alan is concerned. But experience has taught me to sit back a bit rather than guaranteeing what someone else will do.

In Absentia

Yes...I remember your previous posts earlier this summer, and if I recall, that's when you completely decided that you didn't want to wait on the amp build...although it was my understanding you kinda changed your mind because you didn't like how the amp looked...?...but regardless...so to summarize your blow-by-blow account above, since that time, you received $1000 (right?)...and you're waiting on the balance ($1400 right?).

Well, I think then like those of us who are still waiting on our orders, and some people on their repairs, mods and speakers...it sounds to me like Alan is going to cover all obligations, and I would assume that includes the balance of your refund.

TBH...calling or emailing someone every two days, and getting that much more upset because you don't get responses every couple of days to each call or email...well, it's your choice, but I tend to feel that pounding on an already unpleasant situation rarely makes it better...but I get it, you are eager to get your money back...as we all are to get our amps built.
That said...I think in his recent post and even in previous ones...Alan has mentioned how much the CA biz put him in the hole financially...so it looks like he is now covering that from the paychecks of his new job...
...which I'm sure isn't as simple as those who are waiting on the receiving end can imagine...or in some cases, care about.

At any rate...I would be surprised if you never get your $1400 balance paid to you.
Yeah...a bit of a wait...but I'm sure Alan will make good.

Yes...but he and the rest of us are also not asking for any refunds...rather we are waiting for the amps, so it's just the extended wait, which has been explained enough times here.

Do you need any more butter?

If you're just looking for more show ...you should go to the "CA shutdown" thread...there's a lot of folks there who have never seen or played a Carol Ann amp...but they are full of comments...you know, the typical TGP stuff.
This is exactly who I was talking about (Krausewitz) when I knew what I knew.

So, yeah, I’m gonna watch. I know for a fact that he was told that he’d have the amp by January, as it was already completed. And it never arrived. No, it was nothing to do with the looks.

Miroslav L

This is exactly who I was talking about (Krausewitz) when I knew what I knew.

So, yeah, I’m gonna watch. I know for a fact that he was told that he’d have the amp by January, as it was already completed. And it never arrived. No, it was nothing to do with the looks.
Yes...and we ALL knew about this situation, since it was openly discussed here back in June.
You mentioned a whole lot of people that had complaints, but chose to keep them in PMs...sent only to you...?

AFA the January delivery...here we go again.
I was expecting an amp too...but I seem to recall that Alan was ill for a couple of months...not wait, his wife was too, and his dog also, if I recall...and after that came the house move.
So in that time, Krausewitz decided he no longer wanted the amp, and the refund thing began.

Though more to the point...you made it seem like you knew a bunch of people who got "burned" by Alan.
"Burned" is a very definitive, permanent sort of thing...not one that is still being worked out and ongoing.

Trending Topics