Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

tweedphan

Likewise with my 0D3. Brings a smile to my face each time I play through it. Just wish I could play better !! Keep practicing !!

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
I really like the 3 channel amps from Alan. Not that I've had the pleasure to actually play one. But about the auto bias monitor. It 's presence on an amp doesn't mean that you can then put any octal power tube in, correct? I know that, I think I know, you can only put a KT88 in the 100 watt version of the Triptik 3. I ask because I found a Triptik 50 watter for sale that has the auto bias monitor, but seller has never changed tubes so doesn't know about tube rolling that amp. I'm really attracted to the Triptik 3 for that ability to try any octal power tube. But I do have a tendency to gravitate towards KT88's. Now I'm playing kind of fusiony rock. In other words Alan Hinds territory. More rock than jazz but jazz is in the room. Futilely perhaps I'm attempting to get my amps down to three. But I want two that I really love that I can pick between and have a backup that I still love in the unfortunate possibility of having one go down. My number one right now is a Redplate Astrodust 88. I could gush on that but we're talking Carol-Ann. There's an "amp guide" on the Carol-Ann website and for some reason the Triptik is not preferred for fusion? should I stay true to type and go for a Tucana ( KT88)? I'd kind of like a different flavor that I love as much. The OD3 rolls EL34 and 6L6, my second favorite tube. It'd be cool to check into Marshall territory, which I never have ( yeah, I know,WTF?). I have a feeling a Carol-Ann would be THE best addition to my ears. But so many great designs to choose from. Sheesh.
Triptik 2 (there is no 3) is a hard rock machine. I would go OD series for fusion and Triptik 3 for the rock side of fusion. I’m pretty sure the T2 can accept all the big octal tubes.

Carol-AnnAmps

Yay, another outstanding one is heading off the bench. I'm off work today on vacation and getting a few things done. Couldn't do much yesterday, we are rescuing another Great Dane, a 6 month old pup this time. He's traveled from Oklahoma to NH over the past 3 days and arrived last night. THat makes two Danes and a Foxhound now. I've told Lisa to please keep off the rescue sites, we can't take them all on.

BelgPJ

Having been down this road myself, if you want fat, you don't want the Triptik. You want an OD or Tucana.
Yep - like Scott suggests, I would agree the Tucana is a better option than Trips for you. Great cleans, edge of break-up, fat drive, and snarly if required. The big bottles give them a clarity and presence that sets the amp apart for my idea of fusion rock ... IMHO

Scott P

Silver Supporting Member
Yep - like Scott suggests, I would agree the Tucana is a better option than Trips for you. Great cleans, edge of break-up, fat drive, and snarly if required. The big bottles give them a clarity and presence that sets the amp apart for my idea of fusion rock ... IMHO
Exactly why I upgraded my Trip to a Tucana. I can't think of a single thing I would change on my Tucana 3r.

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
Yay, another outstanding one is heading off the bench. I'm off work today on vacation and getting a few things done. Couldn't do much yesterday, we are rescuing another Great Dane, a 6 month old pup this time. He's traveled from Oklahoma to NH over the past 3 days and arrived last night. THat makes two Danes and a Foxhound now. I've told Lisa to please keep off the rescue sites, we can't take them all on.
Oh man, each Great Dane counts as three normal sized dogs lol. I bet they eat a lot!

Mack72

Exactly why I upgraded my Trip to a Tucana. I can't think of a single thing I would change on my Tucana 3r.
Just curious, do you use an attenuator for your Tuc 3r?
I use a Powerstation 2 which really let the amp come to life at lower practice volumes.

Scott P

Silver Supporting Member
Just curious, do you use an attenuator for your Tuc 3r?
I use a Powerstation 2 which really let the amp come to life at lower practice volumes.
I don't use an attenuator with the Carol-Ann. I have found that by varying the FX loop level in relation to the front panel masters I can get anything I want, from slightly warmer and more compressed to a touch brighter and more dynamic. Lately, I have been running the front panel masters around noon and then set the FX loop level to the volume required for the room. I have done it this way for my last three gigs with the Tuc and it has worked very well for me.

Mack72

I don't use an attenuator with the Carol-Ann. I have found that by varying the FX loop level in relation to the front panel masters I can get anything I want, from slightly warmer and more compressed to a touch brighter and more dynamic. Lately, I have been running the front panel masters around noon and then set the FX loop level to the volume required for the room. I have done it this way for my last three gigs with the Tuc and it has worked very well for me.
Any OD pedals in your rig?

Formerly posted as MkIIC+
Silver Supporting Member
Although I have the Air Brake and RockCrusher, which I've used with Fender and Marshall amps, I've even remotely never thought once to use one with any of my six CA heads including three 100 watters. Although not all have a FX loop level, if you've got one, then you are 100% all set.

If you find yourself in the need of an attenuator, then you might consider an Eminence Maverick speaker to use instead of or with a traditional attentuator.

Silver Supporting Member
I think I've read every post on this thread since about September. I love this thread.

Scott P

Silver Supporting Member
I use a generic pedal board for all of my tube amps. It has a Koko Boost and a Hot Cake but I rarely ever use them with the CA. I setup Ch1 for slightly broken up clean with my guitar volume full. Ch2 for a nice rock rhythm with guitar volume on full and Ch3 for a Gary Moore OD with the guitar volume on full. Between those settings and a Lehle volume pedal, I can get any tone I want without my stomps.

Here is a couple short wankings from a recent gig. No pedals used for any of it. I just used channels 2 and 3. Cabinet is a 2x12 loaded with Eminence Wizards.

Mack72

I use a generic pedal board for all of my tube amps. It has a Koko Boost and a Hot Cake but I rarely ever use them with the CA. I setup Ch1 for slightly broken up clean with my guitar volume full. Ch2 for a nice rock rhythm with guitar volume on full and Ch3 for a Gary Moore OD with the guitar volume on full. Between those settings and a Lehle volume pedal, I can get any tone I want without my stomps.

Here is a couple short wankings from a recent gig. No pedals used for any of it. I just used channels 2 and 3. Cabinet is a 2x12 loaded with Eminence Wizards.

Hell yes bro, you guys rock!!

Silver Supporting Member
@Scott P I’m also a big fan of amp distortion. I was working through my Tucana 3r today too and it was just fantastic. Sometimes I’d like to buy a few more of them just to have them.

Last edited:

Scott P

Silver Supporting Member
@Scott P I’m also a big fan of amp distortion. I was working through my Tucana 3r today too and it was just fantastic. Sometimes I’d like to buy a few more of them just to have them.
I co-host a weekly open mic jam and bring out different amps with me every week for the attendees to try, everything from vintage tweeds, Vox and Marshalls to a Kemper. Last night I had the CA with me. One of the attendees last night gigs a Kemper. He couldn't stop talking to me afterwards about the CA and asking tons of questions about it. He couldn't get over how many different tones he was able to get out of it and wanted to know where he could get one.

In the clip I posted above, after soundcheck, the FOH guy came up to me and told me that the CA was the best sounding guitar amp he has ever heard.

The Tuc is really that good.

Trending Topics