Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

BelgPJ

My Tucana 3 started humming pretty bad. I just dealt with it for the past several months. But being at home under the Covid-19 situation I decided to trouble shoot it. Narrowed it down to the effects 5814 effects loop tube. Just got an NOS Sylvania this morning - hum instantly gone. Not sure if its possible from this particular point in the preamp, but the amp seems to sound better. Less crisp, a bit warmer. Some of the strident nature of my Forte 3D 1x12 is gone.

Could be my brain... but I think its sounding better.

PS. @fusionbear what does the effects loop tube do in the circuit besides drive the effects loop? If it was a bad tube could it have affected the overall tone of the amp?

Alan?
Interesting - you inspired me to fix the hum on my PRS Custom 50. Lived with it since I bought it off Bernie Marsden's tech, and thought it was "normal". Although I've never had amp generated hum with anything other than a Marshall before this

Did the usual swaps with known good glass, until I got to V6 which had a JJ ECC 82 in it. Checked the PRS tube guide which called for a 12DW7, which is a JJ ECC 832

I've not come across 12DW7's before. They are apparently 2 mismatched triodes in the same tube: half an ECC83 & 82

Replacement is on the way, so we'll see if that ECC82 caused the hum :D:cool:

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
By the way, guess I missed it. What was the speaker that Alan spec'd that was go 2 for all of the CA line?

Last edited:

Tolleroc

By the way, guess I missed it. What was the speaker that Alan spec'd that was go 2 for all of the CA line?
if you mean the ones Alan sourced 18 months or so ago, I don’t think they have actually materialised yet.
I bought one but have given up hope of receiving it and have asked for a refund but am waiting for a reply.

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
if you mean the ones Alan sourced 18 months or so ago, I don’t think they have actually materialised yet.
I bought one but have given up hope of receiving it and have asked for a refund but am waiting for a reply.
In the same boat with you, except that I haven't bothered asking for a refund.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
So I performed a tone check with my Tripr 50 watt through all my cabs.View media item 215747
The winner is?

My Diezel front loaded 2x12 loaded with a Scumback BM75LD and M75LD. Yep, best tone on both clean and overdrive channels. Balanced bass tones and just enough thump, plenty of clarity, very juicy feeling as well.
You would have thought the 4x12's would win, but they tended to smear the tone a bit. I wouldn't have believed it if you just told me...

The Marshall 80's cab came in second.

Honorable mention on the Stagecraft 1x12 loaded with a Scumback J75LD. I will be gigging with this cab 90% of the time...

View media item 206316

rawkguitarist

@fusionbear after playing 2x12's for a long time when I play through a 4x12 its the "too much of a good thing" effect I think. For the hell of it I may get a 4x12 to match my orange 67-50H Alan built me. But I don't know if I'd use it...

PS. Kick ass amp and cab collection.

Tolleroc

We are always mic’d up and use in ears nowadays so I was thinking of trying the Suhr Reactive Load with IRs.
Has anyone used one or would you think it sacrilege?
It would certainly make it easier for me to find my ideal combination with my TripR.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
We are always mic’d up and use in ears nowadays so I was thinking of trying the Suhr Reactive Load with IRs.
Has anyone used one or would you think it sacrilege?
It would certainly make it easier for me to find my ideal combination with my TripR.
I haven't used it, but I have heard nothing but stellar reviews. Seems like a worthwhile solution.

Carol-AnnAmps

Guys, I finally have these speakers all done. Please send me shipping addresses to alan.phillips@carolannamps.com and I'll try to get them out in the next week.
Sorry for the massive delay. Bit by bit, I'm trying to get this thing back together, not to build new amps but to at least to be able to support current ones and any things outstanding since the business had to shut down normal activities. The income from the partnership with DrZ on the amp will help to stabilize things. That is almost ready for release. My role with this is just designer, I am not building anything, selling or supporting. However the income will help get the CA accounts out of deficit.

Last edited:

fatbagg

Gold Supporting Member
Guys, I finally have these speakers all done. Please send me shipping addresses to alan.phillips@carolannamps.com and I'll try to get them out in the next week.
Sorry for the massive delay. Bit by bit, I'm trying to get this thing back together, not to build new amps but to at least to be able to support current ones and any things outstanding since the business had to shut down normal activities. The income from the partnership with DrZ on the amp will help to stabilize things. That is almost ready for release. My role with this is just designer, I am not building anything, selling or supporting. However the income will help get the CA accounts out of deficit.
What speakers are they? @Carol-AnnAmps

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
Emailed

Carol-AnnAmps

My wife decided to video me messing around with the DrZ/CA proto this weekend. Spent the entire weekend in the shop working on things. Its amazing how frustrating it is how much time you spend looking for parts because its 2 years since you used them. Designs I used to know off the top of my head, I'm having to go back and look at schematics. Kind of like playing in a band. You remember the songs while you are gigging regularly.

rawkguitarist

@Carol-AnnAmps If you recall you built my orange custom 67-50H right when you had to make the tough decision. It was well worth the wait and has become my favorite amp I've ever owned. Simply amazing.

I can't wait to see the Dr. Z/CA amp come out. I'm still bummed you are not building anymore, but thanks for working to support current owners and get caught up on what ya owe.

Last edited:

Trending Topics