Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

glenngross

Gold Supporting Member
There’s a one off of the JB 100 circuit with the addition of a lead master and auto bias that’s been on the Emporium for some time. Not sure why it’s still there. No affiliation with the seller, BTW.

evanj69

Look for a Revo 50 watt.
Sorry ...... let me rephrase .... we where talking about speaker recommendations for a TX-50 / OD-50 Mk II.

What speakers would anyone suggest for those type of tones, with that amp design?
Since people often use those amps as references for tone, I threw those out there

BelgPJ

That'd be a great design. Regarding your suggestion, sounds cool, but would it br better than the od2? How do the cleans compare on both?
If it was my first CA, I would seriously be looking at this option If I didn't already have those bases covered, I would be adding this one to the clan. It has all the CA flexibility you could want, great clean, and BiasMon. IMHO, the Tucana / Trip OD's can give you almost any style of drive you may need

If you are set on a single channel design, both the 10th Anniversary and Revo are excellent ... if you can find one. Welcome to the club .. as others have said above, your first CA is unlikely to be your last :cool:

evanj69

OD-50 Mk II / OD-100 / TX-50 / TX-25

Any chance someone has a manual (in .pdf formate) for any of those amps?
I was able to find one for the OD-2 series online, but that’s it, and Alan’s site has been down for a bit now.

evanj69

The Avatar/Fane H75 and M65

https://avatarspeakers.com/product-category/speakers/fane/

I like...some Scumbacks, some WGS, a few others...but I just really liked the Avatar/Fane H75 and M65 models enough that they stayed in the cabs while some others rotated out, and I sold off.
Regarding the Avatar/Fane H75 and M65 .......
Is there a Celestion equivalent, or at least one you would say the H75 and M65 are most like ??

I'd also like to know the same for the Scumback M75’s and H75’s, if anyone has any insight .

Mikeroesoft

Silver Supporting Member
Is there a Celestion equivalent, or at least one you would say the H75 and M65 are most like ??

I'd also like to know the same for the Scumback M75’s and H75’s, if anyone has any insight .
You really have to be careful with Celestions and Carol Ann amps. The Classic Lead 80 was known to work well and I suspect, without having tried one myself, the new 150w Redback would also likely work. Others will experience cone cry. Apparently the Tucana line was less particular, but the higher powered, OD2, OD3 and Triptiks were all pretty limited when it came to speakers that would handle the amp. I have personally had luck with Austin Speaker Works and EVM12L's. The Texas line and JB amps were all closely related to the OD series so I would imagine your going to be limited with them as well. To recap, research the following speakers and obviously make sure the power rating on the speaker is higher than the power rating on the amp ....

- Celestion Classic Lead 80, Redback 150
- ASW Crossroads, KTS60, KTS70, Elegante
- Jensen Blackbird
- Scholtz Classic
- EVM12L
- WGS12L

There may be others, but I think I have listed all that are know to work with these wonderful amps.

evanj69

You really have to be careful with Celestions and Carol Ann amps. The Classic Lead 80 was known to work well and I suspect, without having tried one myself, the new 150w Redback would also likely work. Others will experience cone cry. Apparently the Tucana line was less particular, but the higher powered, OD2, OD3 and Triptiks were all pretty limited when it came to speakers that would handle the amp. I have personally had luck with Austin Speaker Works and EVM12L's. The Texas line and JB amps were all closely related to the OD series so I would imagine your going to be limited with them as well. To recap, research the following speakers and obviously make sure the power rating on the speaker is higher than the power rating on the amp ....

- Celestion Classic Lead 80, Redback 150
- ASW Crossroads, KTS60, KTS70, Elegante
- Jensen Blackbird
- Scholtz Classic
- EVM12L
- WGS12L

There may be others, but I think I have listed all that are know to work with these wonderful amps.
Maybe I should have said ...... just for comparison's sake.
With all the reading and listening I've been doing, saying the Avatar/Fane H75 is most like Celestion's X speaker gives me some place to start.

evanj69

Even from youtube demos, and not so stellar sound reproduction, I find in an A / B comparison, I usually don't like the way the EVM12L sounds. I am probably in the minority though ....

Of course, NONE of the comparisons are with a Carol-Ann

Miroslav L

I assume the Avatar/Fane H75 and M65 were meant to go after the Celestion H75 and M65 models...and there is a similarity there, but I think the Avatar/Fane versions sound better...the H75 is smoother overall, and the M65 doesn't have some of the upper-mid edginess of the Celestion versions.

Not sure if the Scumback H75 and M65 are meant to be direct alternatives to the Celestions of the same model numbers.

Miroslav L

I was kinda surprised it lasted this long...because Alan was saying over a year ago that he didn't see a reason to keep paying for the website hosting...I guess the time came to pull the plug.
I had suggested some inexpensive website hosting alternatives, so that the CA website could stay live for a long time without a high cost...but TBH, the CA website just didn't make any more sense, since all the content was talking about the amps as though they were still in production.

Does CA have a Facebook account?
(I don't really bother with FB, so I never checked).

Sent Alan an email a few days ago asking what happened to those custom speakers he said he was shipping out back in July.
No reply yet.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
I was kinda surprised it lasted this long...because Alan was saying over a year ago that he didn't see a reason to keep paying for the website hosting...I guess the time came to pull the plug.
I had suggested some inexpensive website hosting alternatives, so that the CA website could stay live for a long time without a high cost...but TBH, the CA website just didn't make any more sense, since all the content was talking about the amps as though they were still in production.

Does CA have a Facebook account?
(I don't really bother with FB, so I never checked).

Sent Alan an email a few days ago asking what happened to those custom speakers he said he was shipping out back in July.
No reply yet.
There is a spot on Facebook but it looks like it was never used.

I think it would have been cool to maintain a version of the site because it was a pretty good reference for the models and features as well as the back story on the amps. It's possible to find much of this information today but it may not be so easy in 5 years, or there may be conflicting information (eg cobbled together from for sale listings.)

I noticed the last British Series 67-18H sold this week. There are now no more new Carol Ann amps on Reverb. Maybe it's related.

Formerly posted as MkIIC+
Silver Supporting Member
The loss of the Carol Ann website is a big deal for me. I spent a lot of time checking out amp descriptions.

Jelle

Recently purchased a Triptik 1 at a price that was too good to pass up however, the footswitch is non-functional. Does anyone know a source for a replacement footswitch or can provide an image of a correctly wired footswitch?
Missed this post, but in case this isn't solved yet or just for posterity, here's a pic of the inside of my Triptik 1 footswitch and 5-pin XLR. Not the best job, now that I look closely.

CA_TP_01.jpg
CA_TP_02.jpg

Trending Topics