Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

hurtwoodec

He's been on after I sent the PMs. I get it, he's doing other stuff now, he's probably trying to move on. It is what it is.
Sure, i just remember Alan urging people on this forum to use his email address as he , understandably, found it unwieldy to monitor and respond to multiple messaging systems.

TTrent

Silver Supporting Member
Missed this post, but in case this isn't solved yet or just for posterity, here's a pic of the inside of my Triptik 1 footswitch and 5-pin XLR. Not the best job, now that I look closely.

View attachment 280438
View attachment 280439
This is super helpful, thanks! Got swamped at work and haven’t had time to work on it...luckily a new three button footswitch and neutrik plug arrived so I’ll be looking to wire it up shortly.

Rich210

Hi guys, I'm new here but used the gear page for a while. I discovered CA a few days ago and went for the Silk that came up. Gotta have to say I'm impressed! Anyone else got one?

I think threads like this are super important for amps like Carol-Ann. Especially with things like tech issues and the like. I appreciate schematics don't exist online for Carol Ann amps, just wondering how people's tech have found working on them if needed. Are parts like transformers easily identified or were they custom made etc?

BelgPJ

Hi guys, I'm new here but used the gear page for a while. I discovered CA a few days ago and went for the Silk that came up. Gotta have to say I'm impressed! Anyone else got one?

I think threads like this are super important for amps like Carol-Ann. Especially with things like tech issues and the like. I appreciate schematics don't exist online for Carol Ann amps, just wondering how people's tech have found working on them if needed. Are parts like transformers easily identified or were they custom made etc?
Welcome to the CA family .. and congrtas on the Silk. If you are anything like some of us here, it won't be your last Carol Ann

I've had a tech work on a Revo recently, who said it was one of the best designed circuits he has had on the bench. "Standard" components, very good quality, no short cuts, well laid out, and all made total sense. It was the first CA he had opened up, and everything was straightforward. The guy is excellent at what he does, and highly praised Alan's design and work on this circuit .. nuff said :cool::cool:

MkIIC+

Silver Supporting Member
Welcome to the CA family .. and congrtas on the Silk. If you are anything like some of us here, it won't be your last Carol Ann

I've had a tech work on a Revo recently, who said it was one of the best designed circuits he has had on the bench. "Standard" components, very good quality, no short cuts, well laid out, and all made total sense. It was the first CA he had opened up, and everything was straightforward. The guy is excellent at what he does, and highly praised Alan's design and work on this circuit .. nuff said :cool::cool:
There are fantastic amplifiers on every level. That said, I’m not excited to have any of mine serviced as it’s hard to imagine finding a local amp tech that would have any familiarity with a Carol Ann. Plus a couple of mine (two of three Revos) are unique with one being a prototype and other is a custom ordered two-channel, one-off.

Last edited:

Rich210

Thanks for your post! I'm glad to see that the amp is likely to be pretty straight forward for most knowledgeable amp techs and components will be easy to find if and when I need them. I'm pretty sure I wont be parting with this amp, it's got such a sweet tone

Rich210

Well after some DIY investigation I've figured out the V1 V2 V3 V4 positions on the Carol-Ann Silk.

V1 is first stage of the preamp(12AX7B), V2 is the reverb (12AT7), V3 is the second stage of the preamp (5751) and V4 is the Phase inverter (12AX7).

I think the phase inverter is a cathodyne, but I'm open to people to tell me otherwise! Carol Ann Silk board.jpg

BelgPJ

Well after some DIY investigation I've figured out the V1 V2 V3 V4 positions on the Carol-Ann Silk.

V1 is first stage of the preamp(12AX7B), V2 is the reverb (12AT7), V3 is the second stage of the preamp (5751) and V4 is the Phase inverter (12AX7).

I think the phase inverter is a cathodyne, but I'm open to people to tell me otherwise! View attachment 297620
Nice layout ..

Miroslav L

Anyone seen their custom CA speakers yet?
I know of one person who said he got his a couple of weeks ago.

I was sent a UPS tracking number by Alan...but after almost 3 weeks...
...the tracking still only shows..."Ready for UPS"...and nothing more.

I don't get why Alan would go so far as to box up the speaker, provide a tracking number...and then not ship it out...???
I emailed him a couple of times since, asking what's up with the UPS tracking...no response yet. :(

Wondering if anyone else has gotten their speaker...or the tracking info, but never shipped...?

tweedphan

Anyone seen their custom CA speakers yet?
I know of one person who said he got his a couple of weeks ago.

I was sent a UPS tracking number by Alan...but after almost 3 weeks...
...the tracking still only shows..."Ready for UPS"...and nothing more.

I don't get why Alan would go so far as to box up the speaker, provide a tracking number...and then not ship it out...???
I emailed him a couple of times since, asking what's up with the UPS tracking...no response yet. :(

Wondering if anyone else has gotten their speaker...or the tracking info, but never shipped...?
I received an email from Alan on 12th August which said he’d just done the US shipping, had some boxed up and would do UK shipping within the week. Nothing received so far - neither UPS tracking number nor speaker.

Last edited:

Tolleroc

Not received mine, or any shipping info.
I just don't get why these speakers have caused such an issue.
I have resigned myself to the fact that I have lost my money so if it ever turns up it will be a bonus.

Miroslav L

Well it's kinda peculiar why one person would get his...and no one else yet.
The funny thing for me was that I received a UPS tracking number the same day as the guy who got his (we spoke via PM)...he also had a slight delay, but got his within a few days.
My tracking still shows "Ready for UPS"...meaning there us a label, but they have never picked it up...even though I was told it would be picked up back on the 30th of Sep.

I'm not understanding why Alan is not responding to emails, considering that he asked all of us speaker buyers to email him so he could remember who was getting one.

rawkguitarist

Technical guys like @fusionbear , this morning I was playing through my Tucana 3 and all the sudden it began popping LOUDLY. I hope its maybe arcing in a bad tube or something like that. But I stress I had the amp turned down really low as my family was sleeping. And it was very loud.

Any suggestions/help?

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
Technical guys like @fusionbear , this morning I was playing through my Tucana 3 and all the sudden it began popping LOUDLY. I hope its maybe arcing in a bad tube or something like that. But I stress I had the amp turned down really low as my family was sleeping. And it was very loud.

Any suggestions/help?
Probably power tubes going south. Even when you are playing softly, all the tubes are getting the full plate voltage. It still causes wear. Also make sure if you are using the loop that you have good cables and connections.

Trending Topics