• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

evanj69

Oddly enough, I was able to find a manual in .pdf for the OD2 and the Auto Bias feature (on the ones that have it) , but nothing else at all, other than what Alan has on his site.

So yes ... model, feature and basic technical info. would be great

TGN

Three Revos
There ODs
Satin
Tucana

My favorite is the Revo 100 watt.

There a picture of the amp wall a couple months ago.

At a minimum, model, feature and basic technical info.
What a great set. Just need a TripTik :)

MkIIC+

Silver Supporting Member
What a great set. Just need a TripTik :)
I've also wondered if I do. It's funny as I'm not super gain hungry yet my other favorite amp maker is Mesa which always has far more gain than I'd ever dial up. I rarely push gain past around 1-2 o'clock regardless of the circuit.

I'd like to get my paws on a Raw 35 v2 and 10th Anniversary. Maybe a 67-50 or 78-50.

At some point, I might have a sell off of a few but each version I've got has something special or a useful feature that keeps me interested. I'm still really enjoying matching speakers with them.

Ape2000

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone played both the SD-60 and Triptik (original, not the 2)? I haven't seen a Trip2 listed for a while, for good reason I'm sure. Curious how these two might compare. Not a fullbore metal dude, but I certainly lean into heavier styles of music.

BelgPJ

It could also be e great place to trade / sell / buy a CA.
Wow ....... 8!!
What all do you have?

The OD-50 MrkII I have I love ...... really looking to add a REVO-1 MK-II (they don't seen to come up for sale often), or maybe a OD-50 / TX-50
I would also seriously consider a 10th Anniversary if one comes up - one of the best 50W single channel amps I've owned. Simple, responsive, sane to insane, utterly addictive .. I could go on

MkIIC+

Silver Supporting Member
I would also seriously consider a 10th Anniversary if one comes up - one of the best 50W single channel amps I've owned. Simple, responsive, sane to insane, utterly addictive .. I could go on
I'm interested in the 10th Anniversary too but I'm not holding my breath.

And...don't you have one listed in your auto-signature?

DR.Z

Double Platinum Member
Anyone hear anything else about the collaboration amp between Alan and Dr Z?

Pre order units have shipped already to dealers, with more to ship next week.
The official release date of the CAZ - 45 is November 16th.
Dealers are recording demos currently, and we have an excellent demo that will be released next week , watch for it .
The product page on our website, drzamps.com , will be live on November 16th. it will contain photo's , specs , write-ups , and demo video's.
Alan and I did a Zoom interview about the amp which will be on the Sweetwater's website, exposing some behind the curtain data.

DR.Z

Miroslav L

Since pre order units are already shipping...has the pricing been set?
I'm curious if with eyes closed...does it have more of the Z flavor or CA flavor. :)

This is a real good thing for Alan, allowing him to keep his hand in the amp biz to some extent, where IMO, he should keep his hand even if on some minimalist level...because he just does great amps...
...and it's also great that he found the right partner in Dr. Z to help him keep his hand in it.

Congrats to both of you!

Adman103

Can I ask a question here as someone who’s never owned a Carol Ann? I’m a long time Fractal user, and I’m smitten with the Tucana model in the Axe Fx 3, and I’d love to grab a real one. For years, it’s been my go to model, and so my question is this- how well does a real Tucana 3 with the modern effects loop do at lower volumes? I know it’s not a bedroom amp, and I certainly don’t expect it to be, but I’m trying to wrap my head around how the Tuc 3 behaves at lower volumes, and if any of you wouldn’t think mind sharing your experiences, I’d really appreciate it. I realize the Tuc 3r is out there, but I might have a lead on a Tuc 3, so I’m hoping to learn some from all of ya’ll experience. Thanks in advance!

Mack72

Can I ask a question here as someone who’s never owned a Carol Ann? I’m a long time Fractal user, and I’m smitten with the Tucana model in the Axe Fx 3, and I’d love to grab a real one. For years, it’s been my go to model, and so my question is this- how well does a real Tucana 3 with the modern effects loop do at lower volumes? I know it’s not a bedroom amp, and I certainly don’t expect it to be, but I’m trying to wrap my head around how the Tuc 3 behaves at lower volumes, and if any of you wouldn’t think mind sharing your experiences, I’d really appreciate it. I realize the Tuc 3r is out there, but I might have a lead on a Tuc 3, so I’m hoping to learn some from all of ya’ll experience. Thanks in advance!
I own a Tuc 3r. I play it through a power station which is fantastic. It sounds worlds better at lower volumes with PS vs without PS and using the effects loop only and/or mainupulating the master volume etc. However, the PS makes the whole thing a rather pricey endeavor.
The build on the amp is outstanding.
I wish I could hear the Ax Fx to make a comparison as I’ve read so many that do enjoy the CA patches.

Jonathan

Platinum Supporting Member
Does anyone happen to know if Alan's 220V European builds have multi-tap transformers? Specifically the Triptik 2 100W.

@fusionbear ?

Last edited:

Adman103

Thanks so much for the info! I’ve heard that a decent attenuator makes a huge difference. The models in the Axe Fc are killer, but as is the case with any modeler, playing it loud in the room really comes down to what kind of amplification you’re using. The Tucana and Triptik are two of my favorites in the Axe, and I’d love to grab up a Tuc before they become even more unobtainium.

I own a Tuc 3r. I play it through a power station which is fantastic. It sounds worlds better at lower volumes with PS vs without PS and using the effects loop only and/or mainupulating the master volume etc. However, the PS makes the whole thing a rather pricey endeavor.
The build on the amp is outstanding.
I wish I could hear the Ax Fx to make a comparison as I’ve read so many that do enjoy the CA patches.

Miroslav L

Very interesting. It certainly has all the controls you could want to tone shape to your taste.

Not sure if it was just the demos in this video...but based on them, it doesn't have the more familiar CA flavor I know from my own CA lineup (that's neither bad or good, just my initial thought).
I would have liked to hear some less driven sounds...but hey, these days higher gain tones seem to be what everyone uses in demos, unless it's specifically a demo of a "blues amp". :D

Otherwise, a very nice breakdown of the amp build and what it can do. Well done guys.

[EDIT]
OK...I found the other demo video on the Dr Z website, and it includes other, less driven tones too.
The amp does cover a lot of ground, for sure. :cool:

Last edited:

Trending Topics