• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Mikeroesoft

Silver Supporting Member
I walked into my local shop about 30 mins after they unboxed the CAZ45. They’re not allowed to list them or sell them until the 16th, but I plugged it in and gave it a very short run through. Still not enough time, but the amp sounds wonderful. It’s a game changer for those who really like lots of gain but aren’t always able to crank it. I’ll admit, it’s not an amp that’s plug and play. There is SO much interaction between the gain, sensitivity, aggression and level control that it will take a little while to dial in your preferred settings, but once you get to know the controls, it appears there is a lot this amp will do.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
What are you doing with my amps?

Oh wait...I just checked, my two are still here.

:D
I've shared the video comparison you posted. The 67-50H sounds especially good with my Rics. The 78-50H is like a handwired 2204 with more gain than I'll ever need. I think they are really nice. Are you still enjoying yours?

Does anybody else have this set?

BelgPJ

I walked into my local shop about 30 mins after they unboxed the CAZ45. They’re not allowed to list them or sell them until the 16th, but I plugged it in and gave it a very short run through. Still not enough time, but the amp sounds wonderful. It’s a game changer for those who really like lots of gain but aren’t always able to crank it. I’ll admit, it’s not an amp that’s plug and play. There is SO much interaction between the gain, sensitivity, aggression and level control that it will take a little while to dial in your preferred settings, but once you get to know the controls, it appears there is a lot this amp will do.
I've been waiting for this one since the collaboration was announced .. I love responsive single channel amps, and this one will be in my stable soon. A lot to like I think, and it particularly suits riding guitar volume, which I do a lot

MkIIC+

Silver Supporting Member
Brilliant news - let us know what you think when it's bedded in. I'm sure you'll love it if it's in original condition :cool::cool::cool:
I sure will! I've become CarolAnnaholic. This will be my tenth unit. They are just so good! I can't wait to fire this bad boy up.

At the risk of breaking forum rules, since I don't know them inside and out, I'll say Missy was fantastic to deal with on the purchase. Great communication and I had laid out a number of items just to make sure neither of us had a surprise. We got it done on PayPay and I had a tracking number pronto. She still has a custom SD-60 listed that is drool-worthy.

Mack72

This thing looks and sounds amazing. $3348 for the head and cab from what I read.
My oh my. I need another rig that is well beyond my playing capabilities like another hole in my head. Don’t know if I can resist. It’s pulling me in...

MkIIC+

Silver Supporting Member
This thing looks and sounds amazing. $3348 for the head and cab from what I read.
My oh my. I need another rig that is well beyond my playing capabilities like another hole in my head. Don’t know if I can resist. It’s pulling me in...
Someone needs to wade into the waters...

communarchy

Silver Supporting Member
Very interesting. It certainly has all the controls you could want to tone shape to your taste.

Not sure if it was just the demos in this video...but based on them, it doesn't have the more familiar CA flavor I know from my own CA lineup (that's neither bad or good, just my initial thought).
I would have liked to hear some less driven sounds...but hey, these days higher gain tones seem to be what everyone uses in demos, unless it's specifically a demo of a "blues amp". :D

Otherwise, a very nice breakdown of the amp build and what it can do. Well done guys.

[EDIT]
OK...I found the other demo video on the Dr Z website, and it includes other, less driven tones too.
The amp does cover a lot of ground, for sure. :cool:
From the Z perspective, we were aiming for something truly high gain since we don’t have that in the stable as of right now, and Alan delivered, and we souped it up a bit further. Dr. Z didn’t want to risk any chance of anyone saying to him “it needs more gain.” He wanted to sort of silence that crowd. The 3 gain controls (sensitivity, gain, aggression) really run a wide gamut. If you want to get close to Alan’s very first circuit that Z built the initial prototype from (of what was probably 4-5 prototypes that went back and forth between them), the aggression control all the way down will get the closest to the original amount of gain. Between the 3 controls you can even make this amp totally clean. While advertised as a “high gain” amp to give our customer base a new flavor to chew on, it is truly a low, medium, or high gain amp and can be set to achieve great tones anywhere in-between.

BelgPJ

I sure will! I've become CarolAnnaholic. This will be my tenth unit. They are just so good! I can't wait to fire this bad boy up.
Not sure how the other #9 Anniversaries were glassed up when they left Alan's shop, but mine came with a Ruby 12ax7 C5 High Gain + in V1. It's a screamer, but quiet as a mouse. I put a balanced Chin TAD in there once to see what the difference was. The Anny lost a bit of it's mojo, so I pulled it after 20 minuites. The HG+ is the bomb in this circuit

Enjoy the ride

BelgPJ

You've convinced me to put white knobs on mine too .. looks awsome

Those settings are very similar to mine with single coils. It's a beast:cool:

Trending Topics