• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

MkIIC+

Silver Supporting Member
You've convinced me to put white knobs on mine too .. looks awsome

Those settings are very similar to mine with single coils. It's a beast:cool:
It's setup with a PS-2. I typically zero out a master after I play to save myself a surprise later. Ask me how I know...

Edited: I "haven't" had a chance to get it to stage volume. It was nifty at a modest volume. I'm a bit of a mids cranker that tries to avoid rolling into much bass and I'll avoid too much brightness until warranted. I still need to explore sparkle and hot.

Last edited:

MkIIC+

Silver Supporting Member
I tested out the 10th with a Custombucker loaded LPS, a PS-2 and both a Mesa closed back 212 with Scumbacks and then CA open back 112 with an EV. I sat my head in the cone as dBs were probably 90 tops. Snazzy! Ultimately I have a preference for EVs yet both were just great.

MkIIC+

Silver Supporting Member
I'm trying to get a visual of that in my mind. :D

And please don't rave about the 10th too much...you'll just make me regret for not pulling the trigger on one the 2-3 times I had the chance to. ;)
The visual is me in a chair with a Les Paul about 3-5’ feet in front of an elevated speaker cabinet dreaming I’m Jimmy Page at MSG.

I suspect, but certainly don’t know, that the new CAZ-45 is in the neighborhood of the 10th. I’m not 100% how the feel control on the 10th relates to the sensitivity and aggression controls on the CAZ-45 but two seems better than one.

Someone else might have a good beat on the finer points.

Mikeroesoft

Silver Supporting Member
I’d love to try a 10th. My CA is essentially that same amp voiced as a JTM45. The Feel control is such a useable feature...it, combined with the volume and master volume controls really make it the most useable amp for all situations.

Are the 10ths tube rectified or ss rectified?

MkIIC+

Silver Supporting Member
Update per the 10th Anniversary page on the Humbucker Music website...

In addition, Alan has incorporated his "Feel" control (also used on the Satin). As with the Satin, the 10th Anniversary's Feel control allows you to adjust the overall feel of the amp from super smooth to a more aggressive response. This amp can dial in British Plexi style tones and cranked up you can achieve Tucana 3 style overdriven tones! Maxed out this amp can push right into Triptik levels on gain!

...sounds like this is comparable to the Aggression control on the Dr. Z CAZ-45.

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
I felt like the feel set the mid emphasis. Low to high. The gain on the 10th is intense. I had the 10th and a 100 watt Triptik 2 side by side. That was interesting.

Mikeroesoft

Silver Supporting Member
I posted this a while back but here’s a snippet Alan posted probably 9 years ago now about my amp. Without knowing too much about the 10th, I think my amp may have been it’s predecessor. The Feel control adjusts the NFB in the power section...if I’m not mistaken.

Attachments

MkIIC+

Silver Supporting Member
I posted this a while back but here’s a snippet Alan posted probably 9 years ago now about my amp. Without knowing too much about the 10th, I think my amp may have been it’s predecessor. The Feel control adjusts the NFB in the power section...if I’m not mistaken.
I love Revos!!

Mikeroesoft

Silver Supporting Member
I love Revos!!
Alan once told me that the ‘Revo’ was going to be the name of the line of his single channel amps. Things must have changed because there are two channel Revo amps that exist and single channel amps that don’t have Revo in their name at all (Silk, Satin).

From what I recall, at one point early on, he was going to have the OD amps and the Revo amps. His multi channel amps would have the prefix ‘OD’ and his single channel amps would have Revo...which is Over spelled backwards....in case anyone cares. Then came the Tucana, the Triptik, the Satin and Silk...so the plan obviously changed along the way.

Last edited:

MkIIC+

Silver Supporting Member
Alan once told me that the ‘Revo’ was going to be the name of the line of his single channel amps. Things must have changed because there are two channel Revo amps that exist and single channel amps that don’t have Revo in their name at all (Silk, Satin).

From what I recall, at one point early on, he was going to have the OD amps and the Revo amps. His multi channel amps would have the prefix ‘OD’ and his single channel amps would have Revo...which is Over spelled backwards....in case anyone cares. Then came the Tucana, the Triptik, the Satin and Silk...so the plan obviously changed along the way.
I have a Revo-T which is a two channel. It’s basically a single channel amp with a bonus channel that’s got something extra on it.

I also have the prototype Revo 100 watt. Yeah umm it’s my favorite amp of all time. It spin my head straight around. I just lucked into it. Love at first crunch.

I’d never heard about the OVER before. Interesting.

BelgPJ

It's setup with a PS-2. I typically zero out a master after I play to save myself a surprise later. Ask me how I know...

I've had a chance to get it to stage volume. It was nifty at a modest volume. I'm a bit of a mids cranker that tries to avoid rolling into much bass and I'll avoid too much brightness until warranted. I still need to explore sparkle and hot.
Yep - I'm with you on master re-sets :eek::eek:

The Hot switch changes the aggression and level response significantly, and I love it. It adds a lot of character that I tame by turning down the gain to taste. It's a fire breather, with the finesse of a well heeled butler ;)

MkIIC+

Silver Supporting Member
Yep - I'm with you on master re-sets :eek::eek:, and my Mesa journey taught me the benefit of added mids and reduced bass. The CA's flub out a lot less than my Mesa's did, and have a more balanced EQ response to my ear

The Hot switch changes the aggression and level response significantly, and I love it. It adds a lot of character that I tame by turning down the gain to taste. It's a fire breather, with the finesse of a well heeled butler ;)
I misspoke about stage volume. I haven't had that chance yet.

I'm digging the hot, sparkle and feel controls. I just need to keep trying different combinations of them to see what the amp can do.

I was suitably impressed by how much I could get out of the amp even at lower volumes. Thank god for the PS-2. I even put a few red gaskets on that bad boy to keep that volume knob from moving unless I'm serious about it. I DO NOT like how easy it is to accidentally flip the hi-lo switch* on it. I would mod it too if I had a good idea.

Edit — *maybe a better design is for it to be recessed. It’s not a feature you’d typically change unless you changed the amp connected to it.

E2D193ED-78B1-45B2-BEBC-83146CC1F540.jpeg

Last edited:

Mack72

I misspoke about stage volume. I haven't had that chance yet.

I'm digging the hot, sparkle and feel controls. I just need to keep trying different combinations of them to see what the amp can do.

I was suitably impressed by how much I could get out of the amp even at lower volumes. Thank god for the PS-2. I even put a few red gaskets on that bad boy to keep that volume knob from moving unless I'm serious about it. I DO NOT like how easy it is to accidentally flip the hi-lo switch* on it. I would mod it too if I had a good idea.

Edit — *maybe a better design is for it to be recessed. It’s not a feature you’d typically change unless you changed the amp connected to it.

View attachment 321435
Which do you use, Hi or Lo? And when/why?
Thx

MkIIC+

Silver Supporting Member
Which do you use, Hi or Lo? And when/why?
Thx
When re-amping for lower volume I use Hi for big iron and Lo for small iron. I’m almost always re-amping 50-100 watt amps so it’s usually on Hi. And the volume knob is usually at 9 o’clock or so.

Trending Topics