Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

amphog

Another thing to maybe get in touch with Mojotone about. I’m fairly certain Alan used to get Mojo to populate the circuit boards that went into his amps. Alan would then get the boards and assemble the amps and do the lead dress himself.
I don't think so, he did use Mojo, but not for circuit boards, and anything with eyelet boards he fabricated and wired himself. I used to cut the blanks for those boards for him!

Mikeroesoft

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think so, he did use Mojo, but not for circuit boards, and anything with eyelet boards he fabricated and wired himself. I used to cut the blanks for those boards for him!
I thought he told me at one point that the boards were pre populated at Mojo and then shipped to him. It’s possible I misunderstood.

amphog

I do know that at one time he did get the chassis, and the transformers pre assembled from them.

evanj69

Speakers and Cone Cry .........

I’m under the “impression” that when Alan, or others, recommend a speaker that doesn’t experience cone cry, they are referring to ...... using that single speaker in a 1 x 12 cab. (like an EVM12L or WGS12L)

Is that correct?

Also, “if” that is the case, and I like speaker X ( say Creamback 65, or any other), but it exhibits cry in a 1 x 12, would it be safe to expect it NOT to cry if I had it (two of the same) in a 2 x 12, or four in a 4 x 12, loaded (with all four of the same), given the power handling would be 4x’s that of just 1 speaker ?

Last edited:

amphog

Speakers and Cone Cry .........

I’m under the “impression” that when Alan, or others, recommend a speaker that doesn’t experience cone cry, they are referring to ...... using that single speaker in a 1 x 12 cab. (like an EVM12L or WGS12L)

Is that correct?

Also, “if” that is the case, and I like speaker X ( say Creamback 65, or any other), but it exhibits cry in a 1 x 12, would it be safe to expect it NOT to cry if I had it (two of the same) in a 2 x 12, or four in a 4 x 12, loaded (with all four of the same), given the power handling would be 4x’s that of just 1 speaker ?
They will still cry, you may get it louder, but it will cry if you crank it up. The newer CA amps are not as prone to it as the early 100 w od amps.

evanj69

They will still cry, you may get it louder, but it will cry if you crank it up. The newer CA amps are not as prone to it as the early 100 w od amps.
Fair enough ...... At what stage on the Master Volume would one expect to start hearing the cone cry ?
I know that's relative to a lot of things.

I looking for some new speakers for my OD-50 (TX-50), and am hoping to not buy 15-20 speakers before i find one that I like, AND doesn't cry.

I may be in the minority, but all the demos I've listen to of the EVM12L (and derivatives), just don't do it for me

Miroslav L

I looking for some new speakers for my OD-50 (TX-50), and am hoping to not buy 15-20 speakers before i find one that I like, AND doesn't cry.

I may be in the minority, but all the demos I've listen to of the EVM12L (and derivatives), just don't do it for me
You're not alone in that minority. :)
I've been using an Avatar/Fane H75 with my TX-50...for the most part, though I have many cabs, so it's never a set thing.

if you want to play a lot with the amp cranked...try a Celestion Redback...then there are some WGS speakers that also work well.
Not sure if you have specific flavors in mind...or if you are simply looking for something that won't have cone cry no matter what level...?

evanj69

You're not alone in that minority. :)
I've been using an Avatar/Fane H75 with my TX-50...for the most part, though I have many cabs, so it's never a set thing.

if you want to play a lot with the amp cranked...try a Celestion Redback...then there are some WGS speakers that also work well.
Not sure if you have specific flavors in mind...or if you are simply looking for something that won't have cone cry no matter what level...?
Aside from the Avatar/Fane H75, what all have you tried with your TX-50 that worked? (no cone cry)
Which WGS aside from the WGS12L? (I think Alan recommends)

So far, I'm looking at .....

Scumback ..... M75 / M75-LD H75 / H75-LD
ASW KTS-70 / KTS-60 / Crossroads (the Crossroads I thought sounded great in Pete Thorn’s demos)

Celestion Classic Lead 80 / G12-65 / G12M-65 Creamback / G12H-150 Redback

Miroslav L

Aside from the Avatar/Fane H75, what all have you tried with your TX-50 that worked? (no cone cry)
Oh man...I've gone through so many speaker swaps...probably several of the British line at WGS...Reaper, Retro, Invader, and their Lead 80 clone...also tried the Celestion M65/H75, but prefer the Avatar/Fane versions of those models...Weber Lead 80 clone...Tone Tubby Reds.

Honestly...the speakers I tried and swapped out was not because of cone cry, it was mostly the overall tone. I think I've heard cone cry in maybe 1-2 but even that wasn't a real issue, because it wasn't annoyingly present all the time.
I think some folks accept the cone cry as part of the equation...so I guess it comes down to what each person hears and likes to hear. Heck, when I play my Tele, at times no matter what speaker, it sounds like there is some cone cry. :D

I'm still waiting on the custom speaker I bought from Alan...and that he said is without cone cry...which is basically a WGS ET90 that was pushed up to 100W...and maybe some added doping...which you can certainly apply to any speaker to help tame things, though many come with it.
Weber Speakers even gives you options to how much doping...so you might call them and discuss your speaker needs...I'm sure they can suggest a few of their models, and make sure they have no cone cry.

BelgPJ

Hi all, i havent posted here in a while. Re the "tech dramas" im reading about, i dont know what things are like in the USA regarding the relative skills that a competent electronics/ amp tech should have. Ive never had access to a dealer or been able to send an amp a few states over to Alan for repair/ service.

Here in Australia any competent tech should be able to trace and amps circuit and find faulty parts and simply replace them. Just having a guy call himself an electronics tech and show some skill with a soldering iron isnt worth a pinch of crap if he cant trace a circuit and draw out his own schematic.

I know that this is time consuming and there is some expense involved but if Alan was never to speak about his amps again it wouldn't be catastrophic. There is a work around albeit not a cheap one. Way back in the day someone traced out Fender and Marshall circuits and thats why we have access to them today.

There is no mystery about it. Its not like the are gooped boards loaded with unobtainium components.

My 2c
Ymmv.
Quite right - my tech in the UK modded a Revo he had never seen before, and it went without a hitch. Simple and straightforward for competent amp techs with good experience. He thought the circuit was genuis, and loved the BiasMon

Formerly posted as MkIIC+
Silver Supporting Member
Brilliant news - let us know what you think when it's bedded in. I'm sure you'll love it if it's in original condition :cool::cool::cool:
I can't recall if I followed up but my impression has been WOW. It's a surreal "super" Marshall. It's very alive and immedidate to the point where you get that sensation you hear the note before you play it. Technically I've got an "artist mod" which is like owning #11 out of a limited edition of ten amps.

BelgPJ

I can't recall if I followed up but my impression has been WOW. It's a surreal "super" Marshall. It's very alive and immedidate to the point where you get that sensation you hear the note before you play it. Technically I've got an "artist mod" which is like owning #11 out of a limited edition of ten amps.
Great - really pleased you like it. I think it's a fantastic circuit, and I naturally gravitate to it more than the Revo. It's got that "feel", which seems a natural home to me. Not that the Revo is in any way less worthy .. just a different beast with a different vibe ;) :cool:

Formerly posted as MkIIC+
Silver Supporting Member
Great - really pleased you like it. I think it's a fantastic circuit, and I naturally gravitate to it more than the Revo. It's got that "feel", which seems a natural home to me. Not that the Revo is in any way less worthy .. just a different beast with a different vibe ;) :cool:
It's a helluva lot of fun bouncing between the Revo, OD and 10th Anniversary circuits. My amp journey has slowed down a lot with these circuits and I just love exploring what they have to offer. Mostly paired with an EVs in a matching 112/212 open back cabinet. I've got a few Mesas that I love and a 1987X but there's little that I can see wanting to chase down anymore. Maybe a CAZ-45 or boutique tweed but that's about it.

Rich210

You're invited to pass that feedback along.

Make sure you check the bio link. Myself, given other work he's done for me, I think it's more like Doug was just really busy and hates dicking around with yet another off-brand amp with a fried board, a half-fried OT, and a builder that won't return email after 15+ attempts.

But the picture above definitely helped - Doug said today that the amp is 100% back to stock and on its way back to me.
Glad to hear the picture helped! Do you know which resistor needed changing?

Miroslav L

Came across a Carol Ann Texas 50 for sale on a NY Craigslist tonight.
Don't know the guy...this is up northwest, near Rochester NY, and I'm down in the lower Hudson Valley...so this listing has nothing to do with me...I'm just passing it on.

He's only got on picture, and no other real details about the amp...if he's the original owner, the serial number, etc...but it looks clean in the one picture he posted.
I think it's priced a bit too high...but he has a point, only 20 made, and will never be made again.
Anyway...if anyone is really in the hunt for one...here you go:

glenngross

Gold Supporting Member
If it’s #5 (I still have #4), I bought it used, sold it last year, and it’s changed hands at least once since. Having said that, it had no issues when I had it.

psykoz

Question: I'm running an od3r with alan's cab with a celestion CL80 in it.. I'm looking to get more lower mids in the overdrive on Channel B for the low gain sounds... running a wampler equator in the loop. It does what I'm looking for but muddies up channel C so trying to get around the foot dance when switching channels. Would simply switching to the EV12L bring more low end into the sound? Ive never used the EV speaker.

Trending Topics