Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Miroslav L

That’s a tough discussion. You might consider rolling backwards through this thread for some insights as to why.

You're thinking of the 4 and 5 button switches, where there is a microcontroller involved...but I believe with the early 1 & 2 button, they are pretty straightforward switches like most.
Even if there is some "processing" in the amp...as long as the switch and XLR connecter are wired right, any 1-2 button should work.

In my 1 & 2 button switches...there is nothing more than button(s) and LED(s).

Last edited:

Jonassabatini

Thanks a bunch! I think I have what I need to make one. Yeah I think it's a 2 button it's a 2014.
IMG_20220405_003727_393.jpg

Adman103

Silver Supporting Member
I learned that he doesn’t appear to ship speakers that have been paid for.
yup, fair enough. I definitely understand. What a sad finale to the CA legacy. I genuinely hope that you're able to get it resolved, one way or another.

tweedphan

yup, fair enough. I definitely understand. What a sad finale to the CA legacy. I genuinely hope that you're able to get it resolved, one way or another.
Yes it’s a real shame that Alan’s legacy is tarnished by unfinished business. I own two of his amps which are truly wonderful.

From what I read, somewhere, or was it an interview, a/his distributor was taking orders that couldn't be fulfilled. So, not directly his fault. But I am not close to this topic, or indeed someone that paid for something I didn't receive.

I have bought an OD2 at the end of last year, am based in East London. Anyone in the Uk recommend a tech who's worked successfully on these amps? servicing etc?

Chief Distortion Officer
Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been considering selling a two-channel Revo-T and 112 cabinet. Both are in white Tolex and cosmetically in “good” but not excellent condition. They definitely work as they should. I haven’t put a listing together yet. Same with an OD2 Ultra.

DM me if this is of interest.

Last edited:

rawkguitarist

Yes it’s a real shame that Alan’s legacy is tarnished by unfinished business. I own two of his amps which are truly wonderful.
Yes it is.... he was always cool to this community and to me. When I ordered my custom 67-50H, during him fulfilling that order he decided he would take an engineering job and pull out of Carol-Ann. We had some conversations about it. I’ll always have my 2 Carol-Ann’s. They are easily some of the best amps on the planet. Bur man, it is lame he has people’s money for speakers and doesn’t seem to plan on shipping them out. That’s BS.

All said, my plexi he built me is probably my favorite amp I’ve ever had in 25 years of some great amps.

BelgPJ

From what I read, somewhere, or was it an interview, a/his distributor was taking orders that couldn't be fulfilled. So, not directly his fault. But I am not close to this topic, or indeed someone that paid for something I didn't receive.

I have bought an OD2 at the end of last year, am based in East London. Anyone in the Uk recommend a tech who's worked successfully on these amps? servicing etc?
Sadly, my tech has left the amp business, so can't help with a specific name

What he did say when working on my Revo was that it was an easy circuit to work on. Well laid out, excellent workmanship, and everything made sense. So if you find an experienced tech locally, who has not seen a CA on his bench before, he should have no problem with yours

Hope that helps

Sadly, my tech has left the amp business, so can't help with a specific name

What he did say when working on my Revo was that it was an easy circuit to work on. Well laid out, excellent workmanship, and everything made sense. So if you find an experienced tech locally, who has not seen a CA on his bench before, he should have no problem with yours

Hope that helps
Thanks very much for the suggestion.Yes, I had the same with my Fuchs ODS, an amp tech's delight. Easy to work on. I expect the same with my OD2, although didn't he goop some of his internals?

Just tried another pedal in the effects loop. Not silent sadly. Eventide H9.
So, not the strymons, not TC HoF, not MXR analog delays.

I just need to get myself a Boss RV5 and DD3/4/5/6 for some legendary silent tone from the effects loop. Although am watching a GLab reverb pedal which are silent, and good apparently.

Irreversal

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know why he didn't just have Doc Z put these together with Eminence and maybe offer them with the CAZ??? And then backfill whatever people had ordered from him. Based on what I heard about those speakers, I think they'd be a good match with that amp. I'm not particularly a fan of the Z Best with the two speakers they currently offer...

Jonassabatini

I don't know why he didn't just have Doc Z put these together with Eminence and maybe offer them with the CAZ??? And then backfill whatever people had ordered from him. Based on what I heard about those speakers, I think they'd be a good match with that amp. I'm not particularly a fan of the Z Best with the two speakers they currently offer...
Z best is an H cream back and a vintage 30 right? Not a bad combination

Irreversal

Silver Supporting Member
Z best is an H cream back and a vintage 30 right? Not a bad combination
It's the Creamback M. Something in the realm of a G1265 would be a much better pairing for that amp's voicing.

I get Doc can't have a bazillion speakers sitting around, but he hits grand slams runs whenever he does a custom speaker offering. The speakers in the Z Master are out of this world and his Z12 is a great American speaker, as well. I'm sure he could cook up a great British hard rock speaker.

amphog

Thanks very much for the suggestion.Yes, I had the same with my Fuchs ODS, an amp tech's delight. Easy to work on. I expect the same with my OD2, although didn't he goop some of his internals?

Just tried another pedal in the effects loop. Not silent sadly. Eventide H9.
So, not the strymons, not TC HoF, not MXR analog delays.

I just need to get myself a Boss RV5 and DD3/4/5/6 for some legendary silent tone from the effects loop. Although am watching a GLab reverb pedal which are silent, and good apparently.
Try a different power supply.

Thanks for the response. I’ll try another supply, although what I’ve been using are either the voodoo labs 4x4 or the Strymon ojai which both provide isolated outputs, and all pedals have been completely noiseless in the front end.
and except for some lighting, UK power Is relatively clean, free from interference, well, it is in my house and various rehearsal rooms.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom