Carol-Ann has arrived.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by reddgeetarzan, Jan 3, 2008.

1. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

First off, I gotta give props to Lance (Wichita) for his time and help with this deal- I bought this right before he started distributing these amps and while he didn't have to take the extra time to help me out (he didn't make anything for doing so), he spent the extra time to keep me in the loop on its arrival and answered all of my questions in a very professional, prompt manner- THANK YOU LANCE!!!

I just got my Carol-Ann and I have to share my experience with this amp....

I pulled it out of the box and I must say, it was packed very well, with some nice and easy instructions on getting it fired up (not that I needed them, but its good info to have....)

I hooked it up to my Buzz Feiten 2x12 loaded with a Celestion Gold and a Scumback HP16LDC wired to 8ohms. My first impressions were that the amp was a bit "stiff", for lack of a better word, but I only had about 15 minutes to check it the first time. I talked to Lance and Alan (who was also very quick to respond!), and they assured me that it did, in fact, need a few hours of "break in" time to loosen up. Some of the "stiffness" can also be directed to the speakers as they are both getting broken in with the amp.

OK- so I have a couple of hours to kill, so I hook this amp up along with a Matchless RV-1 verb unit in the front end and a Chandler Digital Stereo Echoplex in the effects loop. I honestly played for hours before I realized so much time had passed.......it was sincerely one of the most satisfying muscial experiences I've had in a LONG LONG time......
    With my Lollar equipped strat in tow, this amp pretty much does everything I've ever wanted out of a single amp- the cleans are great and useable through the entire spectrum of the tone controls (not quite FTR or TR Sig blossom/bloom soft attack, but close enough for me!)- the sparkle/bright switch works perfectly for going between a strat and LP/humbucker equipped guitars as does the voice switch- perfectly voiced without having to twiddle knobs in between guitar changes- I LOVE that!!! This was my main gripe with my TR's- if I changed guitars, I had to change everything else too.....
    The clean channel can go from tight and clean to a bluesy overdrive. Another thing I like about this amp is its not straight Fender, Marshall, Vox, Dumble....or whatever, but a beautiful mix of ALL of them.....seriously- I can get that Vox shimmer on my clean or dirty channels, but it has a tightness and definition that I can't get from those amps....

The dirty channel was another few hours of getting lost. This is where this amp REALLY shines- I'm talking about the tones I've had in my head for years that have yet to escape, until now.
    My initial reaction was.....WOW, this thing has TONS of gain!!!! I've always been let down by other amps in this regard- either the gain was not musical or it just didn't have enough and found myself looking to footpedals to do the job. Not on this one- and another benefit is that I find myself not needing any type of distortion pedals at all! I still have a boost for the clean and dirty as I prefer to set my dirty channel on a lower gain setting, then use a boost (a Klon in this case) to get me over the top. I'm using a Timmy to boost my clean channel and it works flawlessly as well. The funny thing is, now that I'm NOT using my pedals as much, I realized how good this thing takes to pedals- I hooked up my Tubescreamer that's been sitting in the corner for years, and it sounded amazing with this amp!!! I just find that the tones in the amp are so pleasing that I just don't need the extra stuff......and if you think I'm kidding, look in the emporium for my pedals I thought I'd never let go of.....

Again, on the dirty side, I can get the best of Marshall 'Wreck and Vox tones- it just amazes me every time I plug in!!! The intial description I had for this amp was "muscially aggressive" or "aggresively musical", if that makes sense??
    I had this kind of experience with my TR Opal- but with it, when I changed guitars, I had to change ALL the settings......and it HAD to be turned up really loud to get into the "tone zone", which brings me to the master volume on this amp. It is SOOOO useable that its pretty much made all my other amplifiers obsolete! I have different wattage amps for different gigs......I've always used the right tool for the right job- I love the tone of a power section being driven to its full potential as I always thought a high powered amp turned down sounded like the tone was being "choked" right out of it. Not this amp- I rehearse in my basement at very low levels as I have kids and neighbors to think of, and this thing sounds freakin' amazing at ANY level!!! The more you turn up, obviously the more it gives up the goods, but it doesn't have that "choked out" feel like my other amps had. Its the best master volume I've ever heard, period.
    The effects loop is pretty much the same thing- crystal clear and USEABLE!!!! I can FINALLY use my Chandler echo again!!!!

I gotta say this is the most touch sensitive, user friendly and versatile amp I've EVER owned- I've pretty much owned most of them made too.......I'm glad I got the 100 watter too- the master volume is testament to this amps over-all usefullness in ANY situation!!! I'll be selling my other amps as well. From that standpoint, this amp will actually have saved me money in the long-run.........I've never been able to say that about any of the other high-dollar, boutique equipment I've owned.

THanks to Alan Phillips for taking the time to build me the best amp I've EVER owned!!!!!!!!!

The opinions expressed here are solely mine, and I am in no way affiliated with the company- this is simply my personal experience I wanted to share with my fellow TGP'ers as I've done a LOT of gear trading and tone searching on this page- thanks to all of you who've helped along the way!!!

2. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

sounds good.
    looking forward to getting mine.

3. digital jams

digital jams Member

4. trazan

trazan Member

Aye, clips. Words don't count :cool:

5. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

My 50 arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm sitting here in my office staring at it. It's going to be a long day at work, watching the clock and staring at the amp.

Hey, what's the XLR cable for? A footswitch?

6. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

I have had mine now for about 5 months and it is still among my top 2 favorites ever.

7. reddgeetarzan

Yep, that's what its for. I feel for you- its gonna be a LONG day for you, my friend!

I'll try to get some clips for you guys- might be a couple of days, but I'll get something that is reflective of what this thing actually does. The clips I've heard are good, but this thing has an entirely different dimension to it in person.

8. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Can the carol ann get the elusive Robben Ford Politician tone? -)

9. yoyohomieg5432

yoyohomieg5432 Member

oh, hi Tag!

10. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

Disclaimer I am a good friend of Alan's ! SO yes I am biased, but wow what a great review, all amps when they are new need a bit of time (caps still forming I believe or some technical mojo). That review nails it, I wish I could write like that ! LOL.

Couple of things to try that are really cool on the CA, crank the clean to like 8.5 to 10, you will get the most killer plexi style but warmer overdrive you can imagine (the CA's like hotplates too BTW), also gain pedals into a way cranked clean will get you a very twreck tone. Your neighbors wont like it but f-em.

If you can try it with a cab with closed back EV's, those speakers sound awesome wioth the CA.

Jim

11. reddgeetarzan

Yes, but I'm partial to the Cream era Clapton Politician (live version is best) tone, which it also gets close to!

12. reddgeetarzan

Thanks Jim! Just tellin' the truth on this one- seriously, I've been through just about EVERY single amp you can imagine, except the Dumbles, and I've found "my" tone....
    I've had a Harry Joyce speaker and a Scholz Sugarcone (basically the same speaker) for a while now, I'm going to throw those into an Ear Candy BuzzBomb and see which neighbor calls the cops first....

I've heard the EV's are the ticket, but I just didn't have them on hand to try- the Celestion Gold/Scumback combo gets a nice Vox-ish tone out of it and they really do sound great with the amp!

13. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Congrats on the amp! So which model did you get? Any specific tweaks?

Emee

14. reddgeetarzan

Thanks Emee! I got the OD2 100- just the basic version- not the Texas or high gain. This amp has a ton of gain- the Texas mod sounds interesting to me as well....a good excuse to have a backup??? Maybe I should start playing the lottery....:p

15. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

Scott;

Sounds good! So when will you be selling it on TGP????? :D

LOL!

I will be giving you call. We need to put the CA against my TR CRS for a smack down!

KG

16. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Sounds like a really cool amp!

17. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Congrats! Pics please!

18. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

ha...
    everyone asking for clips and me feeling weird because i could care less about clips and wanna see some pix of the amp. thanx, nigel, for having the cojones to beat me to the punch.
    [​IMG]

i expect my hot pink/fuchsia suede OD250 hi-gain to be almost as sexy looking as matte henderson's selmer inspired faux lizard/snakeskin amp.

19. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Michael,
    I have been trying to reach you and your email is bouncing me back..
    Your amp is nearly ready but pink is going to be an issue.
    Can you get in touch with me??
    I tried to PM but your PM box is full!!
    Lance

20. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

hey lance, just sent U an e-mail. don't know why my e-mail would bounce back unless there was an error in speeling (?) or syntax.
    anywho, we'll talk soon.
    mj