• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Carol-Ann OD2-r: which speaker would you recommend?

abnerfm

Hi, guys

I'm currently using this amp with a Wizard and a Cannabis Rex, but have been wondering if there are other speakers better suited for the dirty channel. I play a Strat and a Les Paul, but mainly a Les Paul in a band context. The speakers I'm using sound great clean, but I've been wondering if a speaker swap would improve the dirty channel. Thanks in advance.

P.S.: last saturday, I tried a Bludo-Drive into a Bludotone 1x12" open back cab loaded with an 18 Sound 12W500 speaker and it sounded great but, I just can't find any usable info about this because their website doesn't even say it can be used for instruments. The guy at the store told me it is similar to an EVM-12L.

Thanks in advance.

amphog

The R series amps are not as demanding as the higher powered OD's on speakers. Your Wizard would be crying! WGS has EV style speakers in ceramic and alinco that have gotten good reviews.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
If you can describe the od tones you don't like out of the Wizard and C Rex, I can probably suggest a few to try

abnerfm

If you can describe the od tones you don't like out of the Wizard and C Rex, I can probably suggest a few to try
I like 'em clean; the Wizard has punch, highs and lows while the C-Rex has good midrange and smoothness to compliment a Strat tone. But in the dirty channel, they are sounding somewhat muddy and thin at the same time (for the lack of a better description, given they aren't bad speakers at all - I wonder if it's the closed back cab?). I want a fat, smooth, singing midrange... I know it depends mostly on the amps/guitars, but I like the "Beano" tone so to speak

venivici

I have been using the Celestion G12M Creamback for a while and like it. Others use and like the Jensen Blackbird. Lots of flavors go well with the OD2r, just depends what you want more accentuated. Take it for what its worth.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I was going to recommend a WGS ET-90 .. It's like a G12M-65 but fuller, more even..never muddy, smooth highs, tight bottom....low/mids/highs are pretty well balanced, and again, never ever muddy. Lots of clarity....I do use these in open back cabs...
Also..I think part of the Beano tone is a treble booster, ala Rangemaster... Do you have one? Java Boost, Beano Boost, or Naga Viper?

Last edited:

jpage

EV12L or Emi Delta Pro. Alan's amps like the larger magnet speakers IME.

BelgPJ

G12T-75's work well with my CA in 4x12 / 2x12 format - tight bass, nice mid punch and sweet highs

abnerfm

I have been using the Celestion G12M Creamback for a while and like it. Others use and like the Jensen Blackbird. Lots of flavors go well with the OD2r, just depends what you want more accentuated. Take it for what its worth.
I've been thinking about mixing a flatter style speaker (18 Sound, EVM-12L style) with a Creamback. A friend will lend me his Two Rock cab (loaded with a Creamback) to try it with my amp. I'll report back as soon as I do it. The Jensen Blackbird is probably impossible to find in my country. Thanks for your post.

abnerfm

Also..I think part of the Beano tone is a treble booster, ala Rangemaster... Do you have one? Java Boost, Beano Boost, or Naga Viper?
I don't, but I have a Klone that boosts enough mids to get me in the ball park.

Zuper

Silver Supporting Member
While I love the H-mag Celestion-style speakers for cleans, as well, the M-mag sounds much better to my ears on channel 2. I've been running a Creamback M and it is quite nice.

If you are running the amp way up and pushing it, a treble booster is a must, IMO. I have a clone from Monsterpiece pedals which is quite nice, and was pretty inexpensive for a quality boutique pedal.

abnerfm

Besides the magnet and wattage, what is the difference between the 65 x 75 Creamback, and why would the lower wattage sound better with distortion?

abnerfm

Has anybody tried the Eminence Private Jack with his amp? I heard a demo of a CA amp with Greenbacks and loved it. But the Greenbacks are only 25 Watts and I need speakers that take not only my 30 Watt OD2-r, but also a Mesa Boogie Mark IIB

abnerfm

Update: I just bought a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback and put it in my closed back 2x12" cab. Sounds much smoother than I was expecting, but I still don't know if this is good or bad... hope it does well in a live setting... at least, my band mate does it with his Fuchs ODS50 into a Two Rock 1x12". I tried it briefly at bedroom volumes last night; in fact, the Cannabis Rex is noticeably louder. Let's see how it does at band volumes but, so far, I'm thinking about replacing the Cannabis Rex with something less efficient. Thanks everybody for the suggestions, specially Alan with his endless patience.

Trending Topics