Carol Ann OD2 - Tucana - can it do this?

Jay Strange

Silver Supporting Member
I'd say it can do that and do it even better!
I had mine converted to 6650 and its sweet!!
The lead tone in the clip actually reminded me of the Tuc.
The thing I like about the Tuc is the cleans are as good as the overdrive
and the amp takes pedals very well which you dont need with having the midboost for both channels and the lead boost for the gain channel.
Also I like the EQ shift switch which is cool for Strats/Pauls. I dig it more with the 6550's. Killer effects loop also which can be used as a master volume thats very effective.
Like ANY piece of gear though its important you try before you buy!
From hearing your sweet clips I'm sure you're a veteran of this:D

jumpnblues

No disrespect, but that sounds more like a Mesa Boogie than a Marshall...to my ears anyway. I would expect the C.A. to be much more Marshall sounding.

Tom

Jay Strange

Silver Supporting Member
I dont hear alot of Marshall in my Tuc for its much smoother, now with Heritage Greenies thats a different story.
Alan recommends the Cl80s which I use which get that fat creamy lead tonn with mucho sustain.

m3g

Jay, I see you got the tucana back from Alan. Glad you are enjoying it. Was I right about the cleans or what? :AOK

I do agree that the clip (and the tucana) does not sound very "marshally". I owned Jay's tucana previously, and while at that time it had the original KT88's, I still think it could cover the tone in the OP clip easily.

Jay Strange

Silver Supporting Member
Mg3 Totally diggin' the Tuc. If you thought the cleans were good with 88's, they're even better with 6550's!!More headroom and 3D.
The lead channel does sound more Marshally then before
and just rips:AOK:dude:dude:dude

glman

No disrespect, but that sounds more like a Mesa Boogie than a Marshall...to my ears anyway. I would expect the C.A. to be much more Marshall sounding.

Tom
I hear you - but the funny thing is - to my ears this is " The " marshall type tone that I compare all other marshall's to - i own several boogies and the only one that approaches this tone is my dual rectifier but it's a bit buzzy compared to the 2555

glman

I'm dying to hear some decent clips of the tucana - there are a few clips on myspace from someone but - No disrespect _ it's kinda " Rock Noise " thrash metal stuff - difficult to judge an amp from that.
I wish someone would do some clips to more musical backing instead.
from what i read and hear about the Tucana - it looks like it might be what I'm looking for
i definitely want a Marshall type lead tone - but thick and dark with the same kinda bite as in the " Getting stronger " clip but I also want a great clean channel that breaks up when played hard etc...
Basically a D-Style touch responsive but Marshall 2555 lead tone and a touch responsive clean channel thats really good.

gregory49

I'm dying to hear some decent clips of the tucana - there are a few clips on myspace from someone but - No disrespect _ it's kinda " Rock Noise " thrash metal stuff - difficult to judge an amp from that.
I wish someone would do some clips to more musical backing instead.
from what i read and hear about the Tucana - it looks like it might be what I'm looking for
i definitely want a Marshall type lead tone - but thick and dark with the same kinda bite as in the " Getting stronger " clip but I also want a great clean channel that breaks up when played hard etc...
Basically a D-Style touch responsive but Marshall 2555 lead tone and a touch responsive clean channel thats really good.
agree 110% . i'm looking for something similar as well.

Carol-AnnAmps

Tom
You're getting mixed up with OD-2. The TUC and OD-2 are pretty different. There are some Marshall cahracteristics in the Tuc OD channel, but that's really as far as it goes. The Tuc really is it's own thing. I draw a loss when people ask me for comparisons. It's a lot thicker than any Marshall I've played and the clean tone is unique. Very very percussive with some compression making it pretty forgiving. It has a ton of head room but once it's starts breaking it does it very very gradual, allowing for extreme dynamics through pick attack. The OD-2 breaks up a little quicker.
The OD gain range is very wide making it extremely flexible, especially with the extra master and gain boost.
I'll be totally honest, I designed this amp for me, I needed to cover a lot of styles and it's most certainly by far my personal favourite of everything I build. It's an absolute pig to build, but it's worth it.
I use a 1x12 6550 combo version loaded with a 12L. The circuit is a little different in the combo to tune it to the semi-open back cab.
That combo is the closest thing I've ever made to what I regard as the ultimate amp. Please don't read this as a sales pitch, I am very excited about this amp and honestly did design it for me. It was just a benefit that others have similar needs.
Please don't instantly think of a 6550 Marshall either, it sounds NOTHING like one. The 12AT7 driver stage I use in the Tuc is designed to drive those tubes in a different way.

Alan.

glman

You're getting mixed up with OD-2. The TUC and OD-2 are pretty different. There are some Marshall cahracteristics in the Tuc OD channel, but that's really as far as it goes. The Tuc really is it's own thing. I draw a loss when people ask me for comparisons. It's a lot thicker than any Marshall I've played and the clean tone is unique. Very very percussive with some compression making it pretty forgiving. It has a ton of head room but once it's starts breaking it does it very very gradual, allowing for extreme dynamics through pick attack. The OD-2 breaks up a little quicker.
The OD gain range is very wide making it extremely flexible, especially with the extra master and gain boost.
I'll be totally honest, I designed this amp for me, I needed to cover a lot of styles and it's most certainly by far my personal favourite of everything I build. It's an absolute pig to build, but it's worth it.
I use a 1x12 6550 combo version loaded with a 12L. The circuit is a little different in the combo to tune it to the semi-open back cab.
That combo is the closest thing I've ever made to what I regard as the ultimate amp. Please don't read this as a sales pitch, I am very excited about this amp and honestly did design it for me. It was just a benefit that others have similar needs.
Please don't instantly think of a 6550 Marshall either, it sounds NOTHING like one. The 12AT7 driver stage I use in the Tuc is designed to drive those tubes in a different way.

Alan.
sound great - can you please post some clips showing clean and various stages of OD - Preferably on the neck pickup - I notice that 99% of people here post clips of solos using the bridge pickup - I would love to hear clips of the tucana using the Neck pickup.
thanx for the info!

Carol-AnnAmps

sound great - can you please post some clips showing clean and various stages of OD - Preferably on the neck pickup - I notice that 99% of people here post clips of solos using the bridge pickup - I would love to hear clips of the tucana using the Neck pickup.
thanx for the info!
I will eventually get around to recording some more. Let me see if I can find a clip of me or someone using one in a live situation. If I can't, I will record one very soon.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member

Alan.
I concur with Alan. I have both, a Tucana and an OD2 50 watter. I run them each into a Port City OS 1x12. The Tucana sounds "similar" to a Marshall, but they really have their own thing going.

The 50 watter I use with strats, gets that Bonamassa/Chris Nix tone. It can also do the Scott Henderson/Landau strat tones. For heavy gain I kick on a DAM Red Rooster, oh my lord!!!! I use an Austin Speaker Works 70hz speaker in the PC ofr this amp.

The Tucana I tend to use for humbuckers, the clean channel dedicated to the neck humbucker. I set it bright w/o too much bass. I can get those Derek Trucks tones and then I kick in a Landy LDO for more gain. The PC cab has an EV Classic in it.

The lead channel of the Tucana is for the bridge pickup. What an incredible tone!!!! Thick, rich, bright (NOT harsh), and articulate. I also use the mid boost when I use my Esquire to fatten it up, or for strat bridge leads. I kick in the boost for incredible soaring leads.

These are incredible amps. I bring both to gigs and use them in the way I described. I use a Bradshaw RP10 to change amps/channels/effects so its very easy to get all my tones on the fly. Soundmen are amazed at the tone and I can get them at club friendly volumes.

BTW, I don't think either amp only sounds good with strats/Les Paul, I just use them that way because live I need several tones and this works for me.

Carol-AnnAmps

Soundmen are amazed at the tone and I can get them at club friendly volumes.
That was one of the critical design goals for this to work for me and others like me who have to deal with the challenges of some of the smaller clubs with bitter and twisted sound guys.

Trending Topics