Carol-Ann OD2r impressions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dewman, Oct 17, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Anyone have one yet?

I tried one out and was floored. I haven't much experience with DUmble syle amps to tell if this one is or is not voiced to be like a dumble, but my initial impression was that it had more of a Marshall vibe unless you ran the gain to the max, then it compressed a fair amount and sounded like the clips on the Carol-Ann website. I liked it less gainy and the two channel amp didnt feel like a two channel amp.

Anyone play these in a band context?

2. rockin robbie

rockin robbie Supporting Member

i have the first Carol-Ann OD-2R.Bought it from make"n music in Chicago.Wonderful people to deal with.They have just about every boutique amp out there.I have owned diezels,bogners, suhrs, blakenships, komets,tophats,and others and i tell you that this amp is sick with tone.To have not one great channel but two outstnding channels is a breath of fresh air...........if you read the review on the premier website, it is dead on.In fact the person who wrote that review , ordered one from maken music.You can be sure that doesnt happen on every review.
    To have a pregain knob really lets you dial in how much you want to hit the front end with.Talk about touch sensitivity-three dimensional tone.It is my only go to amp.you dont need an attenuator or any other device when you have two independent master volumes that work so well.At talking levels the od-2r sounds the same as when cranked.
    Having a choice of 6L6 or 6V6 is also sweet.making it either 30 watts or 18 watts..It is sensitive to different speakers.All my cabs have either V30s orG12Hs.I purchased a cab from port city, closed back OS 1/12 with a Celestion 80, and it sounds incredible, even bigger than my 2/12 cabinet.
    Plenty of headroom on this baby in the first channel, not a bad sound at any setting.Very tight,touch sensitive tone that i could not get out of any of my other amps.Hit the foot switch,and prepare to go where no man has gone before.Very thick juicy tone with a touch of marshall, but not like anything i have heard before.Hard to describe it, you really have to experience it yourself.I only have an anderson cobra, and a les paul, so its hard to say how it will sound with a strat or tele, but my anderson has a single coil switch. when i play that thru the clean channel it sounds as close to an acoustical guitar tone as you can get absolutely beautiful tone.I actually have the second one made.The first sold was a prtotype not like mine, but was up graded to alans specs at no charge, so all the amps will be built to the same specs.The owner of Carol-Ann , alan is a pleasure to deal with.Always has taken my calls which have been more than one answering any questions i had,and a pleasure to speak to.
    We are always on a search for that certain tone we hear in our heads.For now ,I have found it, Sincerely, rob

3. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

You hear it like I dew, Dewey .... it's like the Marshally Dumble ....

4. dewman

Awesome....thanks guys. A marshally dumble is a great description. Damn nice amp. What cab to run it through???

5. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

They like flat response speakers, like EVs or CL80s.

6. dewman

anyone try these with other speakers, and with 2x12s versus 4x12s? I tried it with a closed back 2x12 loaded with G12H

are these amps loud enough to keep up in a band setting?? the tone is killer...but pricey

Loved the tone of the Dr. Z Mazerati and the transition from clean to mean while at home, but I had a hard time dialing it in live, just seemed to disappear in our mix...2500 is a lot of cash for that to happen to a Carol-Ann, so just wondering about the tone live...

7. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

I know I build them....but I also play every amp in a live environment. I play 2 to 3 times a week in a pretty loud rock cover band. THe other guitar player in the band uses a 75W Tucana. I used an OD2r loaded with 6L6's last Saturday and had absolutely no problem with stage volumes or getting lost in the mix. It was a blast to play actually. It was a benefit show and several other bands used our gear. Everyone who used the OD2r loved it. No issues at all. In 6L6 mode, it puts out 30W BEFORE distortion. Thats a decent amount of clean headroom. A lot of 50W amps would break up sooner.

We sell other higher powered amps. If I thought it wouldn't work, trust that I'd want to steer you towards one of those.

8. dewman

Sweet----from the man himself! Hat's off to ya, as these amps are stellar. My jaw dropped at FatSound the other day. I didn't know a channel switcher could be so dynamic and fat yet retain cleans in one direction and sweet overdrive in the other. My compliments to the chef!

I was looking at that OD2r at FatSound but it was sold...Mike A. was on the phone with you inquiring about build times when I was there...that amp sounded fantastic and you need no pedals for overdrive. Its outrageous. I always think amps sound great in the showroom and then aren't as great live (Dr. Z amps for example to me are the opposite, harsh in person and great live).

One of the reasons I am considering a Carol-Ann OD2r is that I wanted more clean headroom than I could currently get with my present amps, yet have the ability to overdrive at nice volumes, and a master volume is a nice touch for getting the sound without attenuation or front ending pedals. I wanted an amp capable of great tone at practice volumes (say 18 watts or so) yet could be heard next to a 50 watt Marshall nonMV head if played through a decently efficient cabinet. This is on my immediate wish list.....

mnc0289 likes this.
  9. dewman

10. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

11. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

Can you order an effects loop as an option in the OD2r?

12. rickmebe

rickmebe Member

Yes, I have one on the way from Fat Sound. Was supposed to be here last week, but Alan has been busy and said it will be after Thanksgiving... :drool

13. rockin robbie

Having played out with my OD-2R, it is more than loud enough for large clubs.The clean channell will play extremely loud without any breakup.The cleans are beautiful and sound better than any of my previous 50 watt amps, which i had many.Alan recommended a mojotone cabinet with a evm 12L,which is what he uses.I didnt know a cabinet or speaker could make such a difference, but it does.Night and day.Before this i was using a port city cab with a celes. 80.It sounded great,until the mojotone cab came in.sincerely, rob

14. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

Which Mojotone cab?

15. rockin robbie

[1x 12 closed back cabinet,product # MOJOEXT, loaded with an EVM 12L speaker.Once again, this is the cabinet that alan uses,and it has made a big difference verus my other cabinets ie; v30s or celes. 80s.

16. rickmebe

rickmebe Member

Have you tried it with 6V6's or just 6L6's? Thx for the info...

17. rockin robbie

just 6L6s at this point.having to much fun.I will eventually try the other tubes.

18. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

It's actually at my house Rick . . .I've been enjoying it for a few weeks.
    [​IMG]

19. rickmebe

rickmebe Member

Well, that's where it was gonna end up anyway... :rolleyes:

20. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member